AMERICAN PICKERS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, this show is going to make every single person in the world think anything with rust on it is suddenly worth thousands of dollars.

By them having this show, they will KILL the entire industry.

Suddenly everyone and their little sister will be a "Picker" and what it really amounts to is stirring around in filth and fighting over junk.

These guys are bottom dwellers. Worse even than lawyers.

Daddyar said:
All these shows are staged. I've been to a few Clean House yard sales, and almost all of yard sale haggling is staged. It's usually filmed after the deal has already been made. The producers are walking around in the crowds, and if they think something looks like it would make good TV, you sign a release form ,and they give you a little direction on what to say when you are being filmed.

My fear is that beacuse of American Pickers, people will think their rusty old bikes are suddenly worth a mint and it's gonna be harder for us to get a good deal.

Totally agree with you, it's just staged entertainment. It's sad that this show was ever made, barns full of antiques should be kept secret. At least the show doesn't say exactly which city or town they visit, or viewers would try to find these places and scavange their cool old stuff, some would probably even try to steal stuff. :(

Personally, I don't see nothing bad with this show. If the seller is happy as well as the buyer, then that's good business. I know that it may seem wrong to buy something for $75 when it's worth $5,000, but wouldn't you do the same in that situation? The whole guilt factor comes from knowledge - knowledge of knowing how much something is really worth and comparing that to the price that is asked. Knowledge is power.

However, if I was an 88 year old man and thought I knew what I was doing and sold something for $75 and later found out it was worth $5,000, I'd feel a little bad. I would be thinking that I had been ripped over even though it would be my own fault... but there would be no way of me knowing that at the time of the deal.

It depends if you're from the buyer's perspective or the seller's perspective...

But from my perspective... I don't think there's anything wrong with getting stuff extremely cheap. We're all looking for a good deal. And if the seller is happy with that deal, then all is good. :D

they took advantage of the old guy but like was said before he did seem happy too so really no harm no fowl other than these punks getting richer off him. i DID love the other guy with all the cool stuff and would not sell any of it. made ma laugh because i know a few guys like that who wont sell me anything but will show me all their stuff that they are letting rot and wont do anything with

yeah, thought that was a fair price for the higgins. what about that vespa!!! :shock: i don't really see anything wrong with the show, we all want something good for the least amount we can pay for it and make money if we go to resell it, heck that is the name of the game. the old feller with the sword, you just feel sorry for him, he looked like he was all alone. i caught the rerun of pawn stars before pickers tonight, the episode with the indian minibike! i have one of those hanging on my wall at the shop where i work. we have had it for 30plus years! it is in alot better shape too, hard to believe they are worth that much! :eek:

in the episode with the carni stuff i already knew that they got the vespa. if you notice when they buy the signs from that danny guy they slide em under the vespa you can see the rear end of it in the truck. but i still dont like em haha they have a bad mindset of just trying to rip people off.

Hopefully this will be the last time I have to read about that old man with the swords (did anybody read what the haters were writing on the History Channel's forum? Man, talk about drama!).
I've seen that episode a couple of more times since last week and if you pay attention he had three swords, two of which he refused to sell[/b][/i]. They asked him if he'd sell any of them and he said he'd take a couple hundred for the one that they wound up buying. They did not try to chew him down off of the $200.
In the end, everybody agreed to the price and walked away happy. From what I could tell they in no way took advantage of the old guy. As a matter of fact the old man refused to sell a lot of stuff they were interested in.

Don't have History Channel over here, didn't see the shows, but I did read the comments on their forum & here, and have to speak out about one thing. If it is any of you guys showing up at some barn, trying to steal a bargain, that's one thing. I know a few examples myself of people that DID go back to the original owners and pay 'em up because they recognised later the stuff was worth enough to feel guilty about. Difference with the History Channel being cheap with old folks is, they have a bigger budget ! They can afford to be honoust ! They rip off this vet and probably make even more money on ads in between...it would certainly change public opinion if they went back and split the profit :roll:

Beats heck outta "American Idol" "Wife Swap"'Biggest Loser" et al.I like it,wish they'd come by and buy some of my crap!! :wink:

I watched the first episode with an open mind and came away with the feeling that these two are just another pair of sleezeball pickers. I'm originally from north central Iowa and still have elderly family who live in the area so I have a good idea as what is to be found. Big problem for me is that many of the people that in my mind are being harrassed ( we call them until they ask us to quit) by these two are polite and gentle souls and are easy targets for these sweet talkers.
This stuff has been going on forever, only now we can watch these con men from the comfort of our couches. They give honest dealers a bad name. If anyone on here recorded this fast forward to the point where they are at the second farmers place, the one with all of tractors and where they bought the bike. Freeze the frame where he has a bike frame in his hand. Look closely and you will see that he also has the Harley crank in his hand while asking if bikes are for sale. What he was trying to do was sneak one by on the guy getting the frame and the crank for the price of a bike. Then watch a few minutes later as he "finds" the crank again minus the frame. Thieves. This show is an embarassment to the History Channel.

I finally caught 2 episodes, the Higgins one, and the White Castle guy. I saw 'em overlook a straight bar Schwinn w/a springer, and they couldn't be bothered with the CWC girls' springer WITH headlight! So, not too bad for us, I think. And, they were telling that lady w/the warehouse "I gotta give you more than that!" ...Think I'll be watching for awhile, as long as they keep showing the reruns before 10pm! -Adam

Latest posts

Back