AMF 'Renegade 5'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This bike has been hanging around for a while, daring me to scrap it. It started life as a $20 buy I got for the rims for This Project. I sold most of the other parts, and the frame had 2 layers of spray bomb and had been scraped down to the metal in areas. But once I learned it was a '69 AMF Renegade, I couldn't bring myself to toss it. Next thing I know, I have a bunch of parts... and a plan.

This is how I got it, a beat to heck MX build.

dsc0584s.jpg

This is the plan: Homemade chopper forks, and 5-speed modification. There never was a Renegade 5-speed, so it will be a one-off build. Since I already had a blue seat and grips I decided I was going to do a very 60's looking deep metallic green/gold candy in the center with blasts of metallic blue fading in on both ends. But looking at the seat closely this morning, it looks like crap. I may decide to change the seat, and possibly the color. But for now i need a few more parts, and to wait for the October 1st start. Parts like, I'm realizing that since I'm making it a 5-speed, the front sprocket won't work. And I need a front fender for the 1-3/8 wheel I have. etc etc. You know how it goes.

kmbk.jpg

Re: [Muscle Bike Build] AMF 'Renegade 5'

So do you think I should try to chase down a fender for the front, or leave it fenderless? If I use a fender, I'll have to weld a brace in the fork to hold it.

Well, rather than trying to hunt down an actual braced fender, I bought a Wald #80 splash guard fender off Ebay. It's the same one I'm using on my Monster Ray. I may have to tweak it a little to fit a 20" wheel, but it's so short it won't be noticeable. Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do for a brace to attach it to... if I do it.

That's an awesome shifter!! :D
Love the old school chopper forks. That's what I had on my Screamer as a kid.
GIT TO BUILDIN!

CRASH said:
So do you think I should try to chase down a fender for the front, or leave it fenderless? If I use a fender, I'll have to weld a brace in the fork to hold it.

I think, fenderless!

I accidentally deleted a huge update post with lots of detailed explanation. It's way too late, so I'm skipping the chatter.

Prep for wheel build:
Before
cete.jpg

After
jpk1.jpg

Unremovable spoke hole corrosion. Paint silver to blend in?
ozl0.jpg

I'm not sure what's the big deal about MOM rims, but I've got one.
z6ua.jpg

Frame spreading
u4s1.jpg

4cg3.jpg

Results
yozd.jpg

9rdw.jpg

I'm no sheet metal worker. This guard has lots of dents and bends and someone poorly shaved the inside edge down. Not sure if I'm going to keep this. It's the second one. The first one didn't fit. I have no idea why it's so different, but both are Renegade guards.
3own.jpg

And I've had these two parts, but never noticed the circles together. It looks like a matched set, made for each other! And man, the flash brings out every imperfection in that chrome. It looks so much better in person! However, this does show me I need to polish the derailleur. :?
y8mm.jpg

CRASH said:
I accidentally deleted a huge update post with lots of detailed explanation.
:x I hate it when that happens! I do it all the time! If it is a really long post I even sometimes copy the entire post before I press submit just in case it gets lost somewhere on the way!

Love what you have achieved today, the frame spread looks good and that spoke guard and derailleur are perfect together!

Luke.

Remember the spoke hole corrosion on the front rim? Well, I threw a little silver on it. Hopefully the crap Rustoleum holds up on the pressure when I build the wheel, but I doubt it.

kgc1.jpg

You need about 3 MORE builds going. I already can't decide which one of your bikes are cooler

CRASH said:
I've got 3 going right now. It's insane.
You mean ONLY 3 builds right? You must never sleep. I have too many ideas in my head to stay focused on one! Love what you got going though bro. real nice.

Diabolical_Dork said:
CRASH said:
I've got 3 going right now. It's insane.
You mean ONLY 3 builds right? You must never sleep. I have too many ideas in my head to stay focused on one! Love what you got going though bro. real nice.
Not only do I have 3 builds going on, but I am taking 2 classes for my Masters program which is full time work, plus my wife isn't giving me any slack on getting this done in the back yard... which I put those cross beams up this past weekend along with the rest of the bike build stuff I did.

1391780_10200764263088428_1604986395_n.jpg

I need a vacation from all my life.

I like how you spread the frame apart wider that's a great idea ,using the spring compressor . Did you have to heat it up ? or will it move just enough not to?

This frame didn't need heat. If you notice, the cross brace under the chain stays fell off from corrosion. (proving that this really is a ratty old frame!) And that helped as I didn't have to worry about resistance at that point. I've applied heat to my other two spreads. I don't know if it helped, but it made me feel better. :lol:

CRASH said:

I like it. This kind of work is what I do when I'm not busy being a Youth Director and a Dad... Everyday I'm out working on something, a deck, kitchen remodel, or some masonry work. I'm a jack of all trades... I also stare at the build I've got started and think to myself...
"Dude you better get on this!"

Latest posts

Back