Another Colson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't even know what I have. Yesterday I was up in the attic moving bikes to bring one down for the Mackinac Island classic bike ride and came across this bike. I never looked at it, just thought it was a Snyder. It's a fresh find for me as I didn't realize l had it. It's going to be made into a klunker bomber.
15375428974981671534971.jpg

Thanks for making my picture right. I might have another Colson frame but it is stored 85 miles away with my 24 inch Schwinn Excelsior frame. I have to go and get them, probably try and fit 26 inch wheels on the Schwinn with no fenders. Never tried this before so I don't know if it will fit or if I can turn a corner without hitting my toes? I sold a long wheel base frame to another Rat Rod Bikes member but I don't remember what it was, I think a Colson.

Thanks for making my picture right. I might have another Colson frame but it is stored 85 miles away with my 24 inch Schwinn Excelsior frame. I have to go and get them, probably try and fit 26 inch wheels on the Schwinn with no fenders. Never tried this before so I don't know if it will fit or if I can turn a corner without hitting my toes? I sold a long wheel base frame to another Rat Rod Bikes member but I don't remember what it was, I think a Colson.
That's a Hawthorne fastback frame I'm pretty sure. Chain ring also Hawthorne. Not sure about the forks though, awesome project either way.

That's a Hawthorne fastback frame I'm pretty sure. Chain ring also Hawthorne. Not sure about the forks though, awesome project either way.

Fork is Schwinn, or at least that is what it came from. It is badged Hawthorn, but is the same frame as another Colson I have. Both have Schwinn sized seat post (13/16) instead of the usual 5/8 for a bike of this vintage. All my other old bikes have 5/8 posts. I am going to put some vintage dried out grips on it and Orange anodized wheels. The wheels on it now don't match and are rusty but pretty true. They have New Departure front and rear. I put 2.1 knobbier on it to see about fit and look. The fork is already spread. I have a nice 60s three speed seat and a 10 tooth skip cog for it. If I like the way it looks I will paint it orange. I want to keep it simple and use what I have. I'm thinking of cutting off some of the end of the rusty handle bars as they look too long and not too sporty. I wire brushed the bars and they look better. Should be a pretty easy build and not too costly as I plan to use what I have but would like a cheap leather seat, ha ha.

Fork is Schwinn, or at least that is what it came from. It is badged Hawthorn, but is the same frame as another Colson I have. Both have Schwinn sized seat post (13/16) instead of the usual 5/8 for a bike of this vintage. All my other old bikes have 5/8 posts. I am going to put some vintage dried out grips on it and Orange anodized wheels. The wheels on it now don't match and are rusty but pretty true. They have New Departure front and rear. I put 2.1 knobbier on it to see about fit and look. The fork is already spread. I have a nice 60s three speed seat and a 10 tooth skip cog for it. If I like the way it looks I will paint it orange. I want to keep it simple and use what I have. I'm thinking of cutting off some of the end of the rusty handle bars as they look too long and not too sporty. I wire brushed the bars and they look better. Should be a pretty easy build and not too costly as I plan to use what I have but would like a cheap leather seat, ha ha.

Look closely at my dropouts. They are different than the black bike. You can't fit a nut on the chain adjusters on a Colson and the adjusters are not squared off but are slotted for a screwdriver. Subtle differences. Also the red one has what looks like a 5/8 seat post and my Colsons have 13/16 seat posts. I have several Snyder rainbow frames and they are similar except for the drops outs and seat post. On Wednesday I'm driving 85 miles to Ishpeming, Mi to ride part of the Marji Gesic race route. My two bike frames are in Ishpeming. I hope to get them then to see if I have another Colson or a Snyder. I'm also excited to get my Schwinn Excelsior frame. Should be interesting to see what I have. More future projects anyway. I'll then have all my bike stuff at our new home in the middle of nowhere. Been over a one year move so far.

Cleveland Welding AND Snyder built frames in this fashion if I remember right. I know the REAL *Zep* (Snyder) frames have the ears on the frame itself and the Fastback Sport frames (Also Snyder)had them on the braces., As far as variations on the CWC models, I'd have to turn back to the CABE to assure I'm not misleading Information however I've owned both models with ears in frame and on braces and found similarities and differences in each, as well as a VARIETY of badging in my research to determine various models.

*Cliffnote* CWC Zeps are NOT the same as Snyder. The frame is very different and the bike overall is only resembling in that it too is a bicycle with a tank :bigboss:

That's not to say Cleveland didn't make something very similar to this frame design, however.

If someone could nudge Bri-In-RI, perhaps he'd know, having given me my first Zep style frame. (Snyder)

Cleveland Welding AND Snyder built frames in this fashion if I remember right. I know the REAL *Zep* (Snyder) frames have the ears on the frame itself and the Fastback Sport frames (Also Snyder)had them on the braces., As far as variations on the CWC models, I'd have to turn back to the CABE to assure I'm not misleading Information however I've owned both models with ears in frame and on braces and found similarities and differences in each, as well as a VARIETY of badging in my research to determine various models.

*Cliffnote* CWC Zeps are NOT the same as Snyder. The frame is very different and the bike overall is only resembling in that it too is a bicycle with a tank :bigboss:

That's not to say Cleveland didn't make something very similar to this frame design, however.

If someone could nudge Bri-In-RI, perhaps he'd know, having given me my first Zep style frame. (Snyder)
I'm with you, I don't know what these frames are, but they are all the same. 13/16 seat post, same drop outs and you can't fit a nut on the chain adjustment bolts as the drop outs are too close together. There is also a frame lug on the top of the seat tube.

Looks like a 1937-later Homer P. Snyder built frame to me too. My later Rollfast has the same drop-outs as I can see in all of the pictured bikes, with the ear-stops on the frame lower drop-out piece, also with pierced ears for the drop stand pivot small-bolt, with a little scalloped cut-out in between the pivot and the stop. My Rollfast came with a shim for a 5/8 post; my post-war Synder bikes have a 27/32" posts; my pre-war Colson's have 3/4" posts. What also may make a Snyder stand out is the bossed joints at the bottom bracket, (not flush joints). Also, sometimes Colson's had a pointy top tange of the rear drop-out, and a larger hole for a cotter-pinned pivot studs of the drop stand.
Colson badges had the vertical holes; Snyder's had the horizontal.
Also, Snyder's have fat seat stays; Colson's have the skinny seat stays, almost like a space bike.

Last edited:
As stated above several times, this is not a Colson, but a Snyder built bike. Additionally, Colsons use 3/4" seatposts, not 13/16".

Latest posts

Back