another hicago schwinn - i think -

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone have any clue as to why the green one has an extra number in the serial number ? that is wierd ..........

what i cam up with was october 1972 when i looked up the serial number - am i wrong ?

Last edited:
From a closer look at the rear wheel and derailer it looks like maybe the derailer was forced over into the spokes while the wheel was turning - it would account for all the spoke and rim damage , and the condition of that derailer - however it happened , must have been a very unpleasant situation for the rider , no doubts
I purchased the bike from the brother of the original owner , he found it in his dad's barn after he passed - belonged to his sister , all he remembered is that a car was involved in how it ended up , back In the 80's

Learn something new all the time. From the article cman posted a link to they did make at least three chromoly framed bikes. The "Superior, Sports Tourer, and Super Sport". Probably some others mentioned but I didn't read the whole article. The original poster stated his is a Traveler and it shows up in the Schwinn catalogs from the Giant production era but the 1991 in the catalog link says the frame was made in the U.S.

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1991_2000/1991_25.html

I'm sure cman or another member could verify for certain who made it with complete pics of the bike.

Last edited:
I went through those catalogs from 1991 to 1995 and 91 was the only year I found the Traveler listed. Therefore I stopped at 95 and didn't check 96 though 2000.

Anyone got any info on that solid rear tire on the girls green bike ? The second one I photographed ?

photos requested - this is how i got it , missing the derailers, shifters , seat , ect.....anyone know what it originally had ? as far as equipment goes ?

008_zps8bc4d4ff.jpg

010_zps27222e09.jpg

011_zps059a8b70.jpg

012_zps2834e737.jpg

Looks to be a 1984 Schwinn Traveler. Chromoly frame, most likely Giant-built, should be a great bike.

http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1984.html#traveler

Some early Schwinn-Approved frames were made by Panasonic and, according to the interwebs, Bridgestone. By '84, and being chromoly with the interesting BB cut-outs, I'm thinkin' that's a Giant made for Schwinn in Taiwan. Schwinn started selling Japanese-built Schwinns in the early 70s; I think the LeTour was the first. They started working with Giant in the late 70s, although the Panasonic partnership overlapped.

If it's lugged but it ain't a Paramount, it ain't Chicago.

Made-in-USA Schwinn frames made after the Chicago plant closed down were made in Greenville, Mississippi and Homegrowns/late Paramounts were made in Waterford.

Schwinn history is kinda complicated, and often leads to disagreements. I'm giving out some tips/hints I find to be helpful, but I apologize if I got anything wrong.

Anyone got any info on that solid rear tire on the girls green bike ? The second one I photographed ?
My experience with solid tires is limited to the wheelchair world, but I'm pretty sure you can remove it and replace it with a regular tube/air set-up.

Something else has occurred to me: aside from Paramounts, Superiors, and Sports-Tourers, all Chi-Town Schwinns had American BB-shells, like the Varsity.

Also, I've heard that pre-electroforged Schwinns were made from chromoly, but chromoly wasn't something that was in-demand with/marketed towards cycling enthusiasts BITD.

Latest posts

Back