Another Stretch! Lets call this one..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool Blue. why? cuz Big Red's already taken.
so i built Big Red almost a year ago, and ever since i got it going, my friend has always wanted to ride it wherever we go, switch bikes so he can etc. And that gets really annoying lol so i decided to pick up this cheap huffy diamond frame(luckily the dimensions were pretty identical) and a 10' section of gas pipe(my medium of choice these days). i measured every possible length to make this one the same size and everything. the bike will have its slight differences, different sprocket/crank, wheels/tires, bars/grips, and so on. no pics of the start, as my camera had mysteriously dissapeared yesterday. :x but heres somethin for you guys to look at while i go work on getting the bottom bracket in and maybe even the jackshaft. 8)
SANY0093.jpg

SANY0088.jpg

SANY0090.jpg

and the original:
DSCN6448.jpg

DSCN6447.jpg

Are you modifying the upper rear stays at the dropout?
Like bending them down, or rewelding them at a lower angle?
If so, how?

I want to build a burrito so bad, but lack of cash and welding equip is hurting me right now.

thanks mesa! my friend(the one im building this for) randomly called it cool blue, and im like hey, thatll work! but no, thats actually my old toy chest, still filled with toys, balls, and earwigs :p we keep it all for the little ones when they come over.

i already did bend the upper stays down ward, i pretty much halved the rear triangles original size. all i do is cut the seat tube to length, cut the excess tube off of the upper stays, and step on it to bend it down where i need it. i also need to weld the dropouts, cuz when i bend them, it compromises the spot welds the factory put on there. so the frame is the shape it needs to be, i just need parts to complete it(and maybe some primer to keep the extra pipe from rusting too much)

so feuerdog, if you ever need help, i can build a frame for dirt cheap and ship it to you. i shipped butcher for 32 some bucks :D
(i shipped this whole bike thru fedex)
SANY0114.jpg

Earwigs... I HATE THEM!!! I used to have them in my bedroom one summer. They kept coming out of the air conditioning vent. And yes, they do pinch and it doesn't feel good! :x

Thanks Stretch, thats what it looked like you were doing, but I wanted to ask to be sure. It really makes the rear end of the bike from the saddle back look the way I like, with the riders butt below the top of the tire and all.

I am tempted to take you up on your offer, however I won't learn much that way, and I have plenty of excuses to do it myself, just not all the resources,...yet.

Like I said, the simplicity and look of this style of frame is an inspiration to me, so I will probably be copying it eventually,........speaking of which, I weigh about 240lbs(but that figure is dropping slowly) so how well does the frame hold up to moderate(fat guy) loading at the frame under the seat post tube, assuming a good solid weld?
I won't be huckin' any drop-offs or anything but i'm curious as to structural integrity around that area.

very well acutally. someone i work with weighs about that, and loved riding it. the only problem is the belly got in the way. :lol:

Wow,that bike is cool... wish i could build something like that.
Currently ridin' a 'velor' wich is something like a knock-off of the limousine but it's just a little too small for me (i'm about 6'5) so

ahh. need me to build somethin? i got enough pipe to fit ya. :D :lol:

thanks mesa, i try to pick memorable names, something that fits the bike but can be easily recalled. :mrgreen:

That bike made me decide I need to build one ..How did you use the BB as the jackshaft ? Is it the shaft from a three peice with sprockets welded on ?

that would work, but this is a one piece crank with the cogs welded onto washers and.. ill take pictures for ya. :lol:

stretch said:
that would work, but this is a one piece crank with the cogs welded onto washers and.. ill take pictures for ya. :lol:

Awesome ! Thanks man !

heres the pics, sorry it took so long! :oops: are you using this on that "virgin burrito"?
heres the side the sprocket attaches to. i took a spacer they use on the sprocket and welded a 16T cog to it(the kind that slides onto a cassette deal)
SANY0218.jpg

SANY0228.jpg

and the other side i put together like normal, then spot welded the cog(welded onto a washer they use to keep dust out of the bearings on cheaper bikes) onto the end of the shaft. this is a rough way to do it, and i have a better system to do it now on another bike im building. this way works as long as you build it right, then put it together, cuz its not coming apart easily. :roll:

Thanks for the pictures man ,they helped me make my mind up on what to do with the jackshaft..... if you haven't noticed I got my idea of my burrito from your build.I didn't realize how simple it is to build a burrito or a stretch frame untill I seen yours =).I think for my next build I'm going to tackle a full custom frame or one radical burrito.I just love the look of them.I'm hooked. :mrgreen:

thanks man, and im glad i got ya hooked! :D i did notice that, im like heyyyy. :p but really, a tip if you want your rear triangle to look like mine, bend it back straight, and notch it right where the tube meets the dropout, and then you can weld the gap. :)

stretch said:
thanks man, and im glad i got ya hooked! :D i did notice that, im like heyyyy. :p but really, a tip if you want your rear triangle to look like mine, bend it back straight, and notch it right where the tube meets the dropout, and then you can weld the gap. :)

Yeah at first I wanted em straight but I'm digging the bent look.No stress marks or cracked paint at the bend either,they should hold.I'm going to clean up the frame and oher parts I have tonight and maybe weld thos stays in place.Hopefully I'll have time tonight.

ballroomwrecker said:
stretch said:
ahh. need me to build somethin? i got enough pipe to fit ya. :D :lol:
I'd like that but I'm way over here in belgium so that's a bit too far for a pick up :D
aww, darn. then go over to galtbacken, hes closer! hes in sweden. :lol:
@ ThatOneGuy: hey its cool, just wanted to throw that out there! i do like it, its a good thing for the bike. :)

Latest posts

Back