Any one know what frame this is ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
9bd422baeb0a64cbfe871074d277d8c0.jpg
639e6e47f6e25ce83f2522e420b1d932.jpg
bde150e8ba6f1f50c0b928b1bb132149.jpg
1c35950d9c5a2d5c127deabba0e62216.jpg
440df5e9180e395b2bb246253d7cf46e.jpg

I can't seem to find any serial #s on it in any of the normal places .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking it has to be something post 1960. It's got the stamped kick stand bracket, stamped seat post clamp, hole for the chain guard, and stamped and spot welded dropouts.

I think Murray also resembles a Mercury
But i don't think it is . But a Murray of some sort I agree .

The frame in the OP is Murray-built. Can only guess as to the exact year** or what badge it wore. Something to keep in mind: Mercury was the badge that Murray used for their top-line models.

Best guess for the year: mid 50s. 54-56, maybe?

I can't find that tank anywhere. My best guess is that is the last style frame Murray made before going to the pointy dropouts. The stamped parts on the frame, like the kickstand bracket and rear fender bracket all point to a later model Murray or Mercury, right before going cantilever. Probably late 50's. I'm still looking to see if I can find that tank.

The rear fender lower front mount is just like the one on my Ross Cycle-Truck. I had a girls Ross for a short time and it also had the same piece on it. The CT has rear facing dropouts. The rear bridge / upper triangle area construction appears to be just like the Ross too. The girls bike has the same dropouts as yours does
Just a thought..
Photo of lower mount:
03085.jpg

And the bridge area:
3069.jpg

The girls bike:
s-l1600 b.jpg

I have an old ad showing a later middleweight Ross with the front of the tank in the ad looking a bit like yours too. The serial number on this bike was stamped under the crank hanger and was very light to begin with. I don't think you could read it after the color was applied. It also had a small metal plate forward of the vertical tube behind the head tube and it had the manufacturer (Chain Bicycle Corporation) information there.
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Last edited:
Looks a little like this '48 Hawthorne...but not exactly. It has about the slab-side-iest tank I could find and follows the general lines. Seat clamp appears to be separate, not integral like the mystery bike. The example does have a welded-on stamped kickstand pad.

bihawroma48as.jpg

Looks a little like this '48 Hawthorne...but not exactly. It has about the slab-side-iest tank I could find and follows the general lines. Seat clamp appears to be separate, not integral like the mystery bike. The example does have a welded-on stamped kickstand pad.

bihawroma48as.jpg
Well that's a good comparison. Yes it dose have stampede on kick stand & the tanks are a two piece slab. Drop outs look the same . I did find the remains of the serial numbers under the bb but to worn off to read . When I bought this bike it came with a girls Hawthorn frame so maybe it's her big brother .[emoji106]
7238fcea6d8d5797aa4fbd90f4f412aa.jpg
e87181e56f7cb4fa20278fa9ec7ec1c8.jpg

Which is for sale on my for sale page .

I can't find that tank anywhere. My best guess is that is the last style frame Murray made before going to the pointy dropouts. The stamped parts on the frame, like the kickstand bracket and rear fender bracket all point to a later model Murray or Mercury, right before going cantilever. Probably late 50's. I'm still looking to see if I can find that tank.

I can't find that tank either. It's chunky and square up front like some Hawthorne tanks, but the tail end of it is curved.

Latest posts

Back