Any one know what frame this is ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find that tank anywhere. My best guess is that is the last style frame Murray made before going to the pointy dropouts. The stamped parts on the frame, like the kickstand bracket and rear fender bracket all point to a later model Murray or Mercury, right before going cantilever. Probably late 50's. I'm still looking to see if I can find that tank.
I can take the tank off if you would like a inside pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent point, @rat royale --- the seatstay bridge and kickstand plate are some details that look more Ross/Chain Bike Corp than they do Murray. The plot thickens.....
That's funny you guys say that I was messing around with a Ross flight liner frame I have this morning and noticed many similarities. I know Murray made many frames for other companies . then of course would have there own head badge . Some of these murray built bikes have manny similarity .

Murrays of that vintage had a serial under the BB shell.... but, then again, so did a lot of other manufacturers....

The Hawthorne lead is a decent clue, but it's important to remember that Hawthorne was not a manufacturer; it was just a badge used by Montgomery Ward dept stores to sell bikes. Many manufacturers built Hawthorne-badged frames for Ward's; most were built by Snyder and CWC, and some were made by Monark and others. Your bike's dropouts don't look Snyder-ish to me, but i wouldn't rule it out entirely--the way the seatstays attach to the seat-tube is pretty common for Snyder-built bikes, up until they started with thier wishbone seatstay arrangement. It certainly doesn't look like a CWC frame at all, though....

I'm still feeling kinda like it's a Murray, but I'm starting to second-guess myself.... and the Chain Bike Corp seems pretty likely, too. Look at this bike:
1f5a6baa06fc279f1450b503e3d66477_zpswcfv-1.jpg

Yes I agree not a CwC just doesn't have the craftsmen ship . I have a 54 CwC its better built and no stamped on welds

Ok with some more steal wool and some forensic technology. I think I got a serial number may be this will help ? 5868044

Is it possible that it's an old school rat? Maybe the lower bar was added on by someone who also made the tank? Just an idea.

Is it possible that it's an old school rat? Maybe the lower bar was added on by someone who also made the tank? Just an idea.
I wonder the same thing also , it looks like the bottom bar was not added but who knows

Murrays of that vintage had a serial under the BB shell.... but, then again, so did a lot of other manufacturers....

The Hawthorne lead is a decent clue, but it's important to remember that Hawthorne was not a manufacturer; it was just a badge used by Montgomery Ward dept stores to sell bikes. Many manufacturers built Hawthorne-badged frames for Ward's; most were built by Snyder and CWC, and some were made by Monark and others. Your bike's dropouts don't look Snyder-ish to me, but i wouldn't rule it out entirely--the way the seatstays attach to the seat-tube is pretty common for Snyder-built bikes, up until they started with thier wishbone seatstay arrangement. It certainly doesn't look like a CWC frame at all, though....

I'm still feeling kinda like it's a Murray, but I'm starting to second-guess myself.... and the Chain Bike Corp seems pretty likely, too. Look at this bike:
1f5a6baa06fc279f1450b503e3d66477_zpswcfv-1.jpg
I'm sold on Ross/Chain bike corp. Along with the same mounting plate for the rear fender and kickstand, this frame shows the same sharp bend in the downtube, near the bottom third of the tube. And with the same dropouts, if that blue/white bike is a Ross, then the mystery frame is also. I can't tell from the pic, but the fender mount on the seatstays looks like the stamped one also.

I think. You may be right Wild cat . The similarities are all there for sure .

I'm sold on Ross/Chain bike corp. Along with the same mounting plate for the rear fender and kickstand, this frame shows the same sharp bend in the downtube, near the bottom third of the tube. And with the same dropouts, if that blue/white bike is a Ross, then the mystery frame is also. I can't tell from the pic, but the fender mount on the seatstays looks like the stamped one also.
Yeah, the downtube is pretty clear evidence that the OP bike is the same make as the blue one.

Looks like I have a vintage supper Rear frame hear I'm sure it's worth a fortune!!!!!
I finally have my retirement found in place .!!!!! Lol [emoji13]
Thanks everyone for the participation & all the help [emoji106][emoji106]

b15b895af371783a6ec070af5cc39b7b.jpg
Mine looks an awful lot like that, but drop outs are solid weld. Serial 770033. What do I have?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

9bd422baeb0a64cbfe871074d277d8c0.jpg
639e6e47f6e25ce83f2522e420b1d932.jpg
bde150e8ba6f1f50c0b928b1bb132149.jpg
1c35950d9c5a2d5c127deabba0e62216.jpg
440df5e9180e395b2bb246253d7cf46e.jpg

I can't seem to find any serial #s on it in any of the normal places

That frame is a 1958 Thunder Jet (sometimes written as "ThunderJet") Riviera by Chain Bike Corporation of Rockaway, New York. CBC introduced the Riviera middleweight in 1957 and apparently only produced the model for one or two years and only under their Thunder Jet brand. It was available in both 24" and 26" sizes.

Here is an example of a '57 Riviera in 26".
FB_IMG_1564369551156.jpg

Latest posts

Back