Anyone else like to use “odd” bikes to cover distance?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It amazes me when I read the distances some people cover on coaster equipped vintage bikes. I have a number of bikes with different internally geared hubs but I have to admit the simplicity of my 51 Panther with a coaster makes for a very different and surprisingly decent ride. Phranq have you considered a Sturmey Archer front drum hub. I have one on my Menace and braking is good.
Front drum hub? Like electric assist? I’ve considered that before, but I’m probably not gonna put any kind of motor on. I ordered a sturmey archer 5 speed rear hub on Christmas, I think it’s showing up tomorrow, but I kinda feel guilty about ruining my bike’s simplicity. I’m sure I’ll feel differently when I ride it around lol.

@Phranq I don't think he's talking about electric. Drum brake front hub:
DSC_5162.jpg

One of the Worksman trikes I roll at work has one (not as nice as the SA I posted), surprisingly powerful!

Last edited:
@Phranq I don't think he's talking about electric. Drum brake front hub:
View attachment 148132
One of the Worksman trikes I roll at work has one, (not as nice as the SA I posted) surprisingly powerful!
That’s really cool! I never put much thought into it really. That would make my front and rear hub match, but I’m probably going the disc brake route. The hub I have in the front already has the holes to mount a disc. I’m sure that drum brake is going to linger in the back of my mind for the next couple months, that’s really cool!

Front drum hub? Like electric assist? I’ve considered that before, but I’m probably not gonna put any kind of motor on. I ordered a sturmey archer 5 speed rear hub on Christmas, I think it’s showing up tomorrow, but I kinda feel guilty about ruining my bike’s simplicity. I’m sure I’ll feel differently when I ride it around lol.
The front drum hub doesn’t have a motor. just an internal drum brake like the hubs used on a variety of vintage schwinns.

I cycle a lot on my cruiser bikes. I use bicycle as my main local transport (practically the only one, i just occasionally take a cab once a month apart from cycling) and sometimes take trips with them. Usually i have one 1000+ miles trip a year and at least few 100+ miles, but 2020 was a bit of a surprise, so my long trip got cancelled this year. And all this is done with choppers, stretched cruisers, handmade frames and sometimes normal cruiser bikes.

Shout out to @Skipton and @Pookie42, the reining Chicago kings of riding "odd" things long miles.

The maniac Skip, commutes on stuff like this and even more unconventional every day, in all kinds of stupid weather. Then on the weekend will ride out to the suburbs to meet up for a cruise that everyone else drove to.
1609865082879.png

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/skiptons-random-photos.62278/page-16

I've seen Pookie put hundreds of miles on this three speed. We've done some long rides.
The first (and best) Tamale Ride he organized on we had people dehydrating, starving, and complaining about how long it was, and I still think he had already cut it shorter than intended.:21:
1609866049392.png

When this thing was still set up as a fendered/racked seven speed cruiser, I rode it 73 miles. From Longmont, up Left Hand Canyon to Ward, across the Peaks Highway towards Allenspark, down into Lyons and back to Longmont. Tevas, Carharrt shorts and a Led Zeppelin t-shirt were all the "kit" needed.
20210424_162501.jpg

When this thing was still set up as a fendered/racked seven speed cruiser, I rode it 73 miles. From Longmont, up Left Hand Canyon to Ward, across the Peaks Highway towards Allenspark, down into Lyons and back to Longmont. Tevas, Carharrt shorts and a Led Zeppelin t-shirt were all the "kit" needed.
View attachment 158581
Pics or it didn't happen 😂

I feel like we need to ride together some day!!

Pics or it didn't happen 😂

I feel like we need to ride together some day!!
The only pics I would have wanted were the looks on the faces of the roadies descending Left Hand Canyon. I ride often with no electronic devices and that was one of those days. The intention was to just ride, the destination just happened.

The semi-retirement plan has me traveling East in the Spring to ride and hang out. Count on it.

14/69-80 tooth 68' Hawthorne Formula 3sp. 20 miles per day with a high teen average. Range 60+ mi. Gone over 50 mph in slipstream level ground. 27.5 Lbs. Has an ultra lightweight crank with adjustable arm lengths for climbing and efficiency. Maintain 90 PSI front and rear. Stopped counting around 1500 miles. Use it to go hunting.

View attachment 147037
I don't ride it like you'd expect. The 16'' bar was originally for looks. Hold down low. Doesn't brake well.
What is that fork?

It amazes me when I read the distances some people cover on coaster equipped vintage bikes. I have a number of bikes with different internally geared hubs but I have to admit the simplicity of my 51 Panther with a coaster makes for a very different and surprisingly decent ride. Phranq have you considered a Sturmey Archer front drum hub. I have one on my Menace and braking is good.
I basically did a century on a Cranbrook I had a few years ago, went to Lexington to see some friends. My first and probably last.

Latest posts

Back