Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" Build thread.

Ok... I have been following this build off and now that I have some parts together, I thought I would see if I could piece something together.

A couple of weekends ago, I started formulating a cunning plan after looking at my parts pile...

01_DonorParts.jpg

That lawnmower handle looked inviting, so...

02_ConceptTest.jpg

Yep... that'll do nicely.

So I did some cutting and a bit of a test fit...

03_FrameTestFit.jpg

Then I decided to have a go at some experimental wheel widening.

I dismantled two wheels and these are the parts I'll use for the back wheel...

04Parts.jpg

A hole was drilled in the center of the rims every third spoke hole (shown by black arrows in the following photo) for pop rivets to go into.

05_RivetHoles.jpg

Some metal strapping from a hardware shop for the joiners...

06_Strapping.jpg

The rims were attached to each other by pop riveting the straps to the rims...

07_AssembledRim.jpg

Then I went back to the frame and (badly) tack welded it together... my first real attempt at welding and not too flash. The assembled back wheel is test fitted and the front tyre placed in position for a bit of a mock-up.

08_TackWelded.jpg

So that is where I am now and I hope to be able to "finish" it before the end of the build off... only two weeks away... and I still haven't got a front wheel, the ape hangers, or the banana seat!

Oh, by the way... it's called MUSCRAT. :D

Last edited:

Cool looking bike :) Glenn! I love the re purposed push mower handle! Those rims are pretty slick also.
Good Luck with the build!

Rich

TackWelded.jpg

So that is where I am now and I hope to be able to "finish" it before the end of the build off... only two weeks away... and I still haven't got a front wheel, the ape hangers, or the banana seat!

Oh, by the way... it's called MUSCRAT. :D [/color][/quote]

thats so sick! i have a bike like that i will try and find a piccie..
cheerS,
Jake

Wow Rich!! That pan looks AWESOME! Truly impressed.

Glen I was already concerned by how awesome my competitors are so far and you have to go and throw that in!!! :lol: Lookin' good bud.

This is going to be a crazy vote for sure! I feel honored to be in the same contest with such creative dudes! :mrgreen:

First of all, WOW Glen! Way to make an entrance! :shock: That is some cool engineering going on there! Loving that rear wheel and the re-purposed mower handle. Looks like a cool adults Raliegh Chopper! Love it! Mine is sort of an adults Murray Eliminator, so I am really digging that vibe! :wink:
Will you be keeping the gears? If you do that will be an awesome high speed drag bike! Either way, it will be bucket loads of fun!

Loving the seat Rich! Having done a little curving and rolling before I have a small idea how much work went into that, worth it to get that result! Will it be getting padded and covered or are you leaving as is?

RichL said:
Yea, I think everyone did great on this one, I have liked all the bikes I have seen for various reasons... I am not here for winning, just the chance to put together a cool bike, I can see myself using this instead of the MTB for local stints, so for me, I've already won :mrgreen: ...

Rich

Totally agreed! It does not matter who wins in the real world, after all it is only bragging rights, but to have the bikes that we will at the end, and know we built them ourselves and no one else has one the same, that is pretty awesome! 8)

Luke.

Edit: Having trouble getting the dual disc brakes to work on the bike, I can get one side to work but then the other will not fit in the same place on the other side, would prefer they were in the same area at least. :? Got some thinking to do today...

Thanks for the comments guys. :D

Luke, good spotting with the Raleigh Chopper influence. I am kind of going for a cross between a Raleigh Chopper and a Healing Dragster :wink:

Was thinking of calling it CHOPSTER, but it will be pretty ratty I reckon, so MUSCRAT (MUSCle bike RAT) came to mind... what do you and others reckon ?

My ape hangers arrived today while I was at my course 8) I spent way too much on them but couldn't find any cheapies :roll: They are motorcycle apes.

EDIT: Oh yeah... I forgot... yes it will have the gears. No back brakes and hopefully a coaster brake 20" on the front. I think I saw someone else on this site had done the coaster brake on the front so I might have to see if I can find that build thread for tips... or I might just make it up as I go along :wink:

Loving the name Glen!
Really loving the coaster brake conversion on the front, I think I may have seen the same build, they welded a long tab to the sprocket and had a bar to a suicide lever?
Awesome idea!

Luke.

Got the normal drive side crank welded up with a 44t bmx chainring and took it for a ride today! 8)

P2258774 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Without a doubt, the most fun bike I have ever ridden! Very relaxed riding style but easy to go fast too, plenty of room to stand up and ride for extra power and it tracks really well and turns on a dime. Only issue with it is like most muscle bikes, it is fairly light over the front wheel, tried riding in loose gravel and the wheel would sometimes push and skip if you gave it a sudden turn. That is part of the reason why I decided against brakes on the front wheel, if you are riding fast into a corner and use the front brakes the wheel could slide out on you. With two discs on the rear, a 5 inch tire and all the weight of the rider directly above it, I am sure the rear brakes will be more than adequate to pull it up from speed.

Speaking of the rear brakes, I ended up getting the mounts done after my ride, took a lot of planning, mock ups and re-starts but got there in the end, quite late by the time it was done (9:15) so no pictures. (Sorry Terry!)
Unfortunatly where the brakes and mounts are, now means I need to re-work the rear seat support bar to get them to clear... :roll:

Just have to wait for my second chainwheel and freewheel to get here and I am finished the drive chain, once the dual cable brake lever arrives I can work out how much I have to extend the barends to give me enough length to mount it and the grips I bought, so aside from the seat support bar re-work, running cable guides, mounting the front guard and adding the name plate, the bike is getting close...
Then of course there will be filing, sanding, prepping, priming, painting, buffing, apply the stickers etc... :shock:

13 days and counting...

Luke.

Looks like it's fun to ride, Luke!
I feel that mine may not get finished. I can't seem to find some parts I need and my frame has gotten a few scratches. To top it all off, I've not really had warm enough weather to finish up painting. I'm still having a hard time finding any interest in doing anything else with it. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a chopper and not a muscle bike and it's slightly discouraging :|

That's lookin awesome Luke! The stance is absolutely perfect! I will anxiously be awaiting the pictures of the brakes!! :lol: :lol:

I got the paint laid on the frame.

CBF79470-0FBE-464D-83C3-156BA775E00D-13675-000013435783950A.jpg

I'm debating on a chainguard now. I'm gonna spend some time with the welder and see what I come up with. I'm sure I'll have a million things I think of AFTER the finish date! :lol:

Lowlife Lucas said:
Looks like it's fun to ride, Luke!
I feel that mine may not get finished. I can't seem to find some parts I need and my frame has gotten a few scratches. To top it all off, I've not really had warm enough weather to finish up painting. I'm still having a hard time finding any interest in doing anything else with it. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a chopper and not a muscle bike and it's slightly discouraging :|
Thats no good Lucas, happens to all of us occasionally though. Has happened to me a couple of times with FatBob (modifing the rear for gear clearance and also when the first springer front looked horrible.) You work really fast too, so spreading the build out over six weeks probably didn't help either. :|

Terry, that paint looks awesome! Should match the front rim well! Is that still the Roth Spray cans? Pretty impressive for spray paint! Regarding chainguards and the like, not sure I will have time to do them on mine, too much to do and not enough time left... Not stressed though, it is such a fun bike to ride I am still pumped up from riding it 12 hours ago... :mrgreen:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Terry, that paint looks awesome! Should match the front rim well! Is that still the Roth Spray cans? Pretty impressive for spray paint! Regarding chainguards and the like, not sure I will have time to do them on mine, too much to do and not enough time left... Not stressed though, it is such a fun bike to ride I am still pumped up from riding it 12 hours ago... :mrgreen:

Luke.

I can't wait to get mine rideable!

I gave up on the roth cans. They're neat but they clog constantly and I had all sorts of trouble getting the coats even.

I experimented with a somewhat ghetto flaking process but it worked out well..... sort of. If you don't layer them properly with a decent backer (black in my case) they alligator like crazy!
That's rustoleum craft glitter and tail light paint! :lol: :lol:
A2A9AA84-4C7F-4A63-9E8C-EB1DE222D890-13675-0000134A8D5A34CC.jpg

I did a little mock up to see how the color played. I played around with the skirt guard for a bit but haven't mounted it.
30A9F945-5297-4228-B673-D8BCB0E065D1-13675-0000134A918C9039.jpg

I'm hoping to have it street worthy for test runs by Wednesday. :mrgreen:

RichL said:
Wow! very cool!
LukeTheJoker said:
8506963882_be1dd19edd.jpg

Without a doubt, the most fun bike I have ever ridden!
That's awesome!! It looks fun! :mrgreen:
Like the discs on the back, sure it more than adequate (since I run only rear coaster brakes)
Can't wait to see it all together...

Lucas, it's a shame, but we like ya anyway! :) Good to see you passing by so often giving us support though! Thanks for that, it's appreciated.

That is looking good Luke, I'd love you see a video but the single frame shot is cool :)

Terry, I wish I had your painting skills, your bike looks really good when seen in those closeup shots, it really brings out the details in your build! Nice, keep it up and I might just be forced to vote for your build! :) very sharp work. (though, there are some builds that are really close to ya... soo keep pushing the envelop! )

Rich

RichL said:
Terry, I wish I had your painting skills, your bike looks really good when seen in those closeup shots, it really brings out the details in your build! Nice, keep it up and I might just be forced to vote for your build! :) very sharp work. (though, there are some builds that are really close to ya... soo keep pushing the envelop! )

Rich

Thanks bud. I'm experimenting as I go and thankfully it's worked out pretty well. I actually wish I had just started another frame. I love this bike so far but it's not what I was goaling for overall. Who knows I might just chop it up at the last second. :lol: :lol:

These builds are ALL wickedly cool!!!!
Bravo guys!!! I am SOOOOOOO glad I found a reason not to enter!!! :shock:

Latest posts

Back