Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" Build thread.

oleskool said:
TackWelded.jpg
Thats awesome ! did you use 2 tubes in the rear or you cut the middle part ?

OneHorsePower said:
oleskool said:

Thanks for that :D It has two tubes in it. I am seriously lacking in tools... don't even have a vice :shock: Will need to get one of those I suppose :roll: I shouted myself a ceapo gasless mig welder at Christmas when they were on half price special 8) Man... welding is HARD!

Wow Terry, that paint is even more impressive now we know how you did it! That is awesome! 8)

Here is the pics of the disc caliper mounts, it rained last night so it has a nice film of rust over it already, I get the feeling the wirebrush will be getting plenty of use...
Easy side to mount, this is the side most disc brakes mount on so the mount plate angles were spot on...

DSC00265 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Hard side, much more work and planning...

DSC00264 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Happy with how they came out, huge amount of work though, not sure I will ever do dual discs on one wheel again...

Off to the sign printing shop now, got to place my order for stickers... :wink:

Luke.

MplsCoaster said:
Like the discs on the back, sure it more than adequate (since I run only rear coaster brakes)
Can't wait to see it all together...
Lowlife Lucas said:
Looks great, Luke! You should have plenty of stopping power!

Yep, took it for a ride earlier with just one side connected up as the dual cable lever is not here yet, and just the one disc is plenty for pulling it up, even with just one brake you can even skid it around corners like an old coaster bmx if that takes your fancy... Skidding sideways on a stiff and heavy 5 inch wide motorbike tire with limited weight over the front is an interesting experience though... :shock:

Got my stickers ordered, they will be ready by tuesday next week at the latest so very happy with that.

Came up with a cool theme, it will be interesting to see if I can pull it off... :wink:

Luke.

Glen said:
OneHorsePower said:
oleskool said:

Thanks for that :D It has two tubes in it. I am seriously lacking in tools... don't even have a vice :shock: Will need to get one of those I suppose :roll: I shouted myself a ceapo gasless mig welder at Christmas when they were on half price special 8) Man... welding is HARD!
pretty impressive for someone lacking tools .. i curious to know if it works fine with 2 tubes or even if i would work with one big tube bending around the middle lips .. let me know when you test this please

LukeTheJoker said:
Got the normal drive side crank welded up with a 44t bmx chainring and took it for a ride today! 8)

P2258774 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Without a doubt, the most fun bike I have ever ridden! Very relaxed riding style but easy to go fast too, plenty of room to stand up and ride for extra power and it tracks really well and turns on a dime. Only issue with it is like most muscle bikes, it is fairly light over the front wheel, tried riding in loose gravel and the wheel would sometimes push and skip if you gave it a sudden turn. That is part of the reason why I decided against brakes on the front wheel, if you are riding fast into a corner and use the front brakes the wheel could slide out on you. With two discs on the rear, a 5 inch tire and all the weight of the rider directly above it, I am sure the rear brakes will be more than adequate to pull it up from speed.

Speaking of the rear brakes, I ended up getting the mounts done after my ride, took a lot of planning, mock ups and re-starts but got there in the end, quite late by the time it was done (9:15) so no pictures. (Sorry Terry!)
Unfortunatly where the brakes and mounts are, now means I need to re-work the rear seat support bar to get them to clear... :roll:

Just have to wait for my second chainwheel and freewheel to get here and I am finished the drive chain, once the dual cable brake lever arrives I can work out how much I have to extend the barends to give me enough length to mount it and the grips I bought, so aside from the seat support bar re-work, running cable guides, mounting the front guard and adding the name plate, the bike is getting close...
Then of course there will be filing, sanding, prepping, priming, painting, buffing, apply the stickers etc... :shock:

13 days and counting...

Luke.
haven't you made a front rim for this also ? ... Very cool bike .. Gj!

OneHorsePower said:
haven't you made a front rim for this also ? ... Very cool bike .. Gj!
I did make up a 24inch front rim, but decided against using it when I decided not to do the long forks, the 20inch looks more muscle bike to me with the current forks.

bigfatcat said:
Dang Luke super cool yet again.
Glad you like the mounts Terry, took me back to my working days trying to figure the drive side one out, actually enjoyed it, doing something from scratch with things that are not designed for it is my idea of fun! :mrgreen:

Letting a bit of my paint and sticker theme out of the bag... My plan all along with the bike is to combine designs and features from well known muscle bikes into the one bike with some "over the top style" thrown in, so that is why the frame is styled like an Eliminator 2, the big square shouldered rear with a much smaller front is a Krate reference, as is I suppose the disc brakes, (I would love to have put a frame mounted shifter on it but the dual drive made that difficult.) so to go along with the theme the paint is also a reference to a muscle bike, of course changed up a little, like I always do. :wink:

Luke.

P.S. Do you realise the first production muscle bike was released almost exactly 50 years ago on the 3rd of March, 1963?

I just got the bike parts from fedex today before heading out. Tomorrows plan, assembly front wheel with disk brake attachmnet, put the wood lining under the seat pan so I can attach the cushion and fabric for the seat... I think that is all I will be able to finish so I will stop there.
To do:
Bottom bracket
Weld bike 100%
Sand and grind all welds and frame
Handle bars
Either prime or go the extra mile and clear coat bare metal frame
Assemble frame components
Ride this baby like I've only got 24 hrs to live!!!!
:)

Rich

Sounds like a good plan Rich! 8)

My 2nd chainring and freewheel just arrived in the mail too! Might finally get the dual drive set up...

Luke.

Edit: Just checked the weather predictions, and my best days for painting in the coming week (not raining) is tomorrow and the next day, I will need two days to do it, one day to prime, next to sand and top coat, and that is just the main frame colour, nevermind all the add ons... :shock: Not sure I can have it done and ready to paint by then, currently raining outside and under warnings for extreme weather, flash flooding, thunderstorms and quote "large hailstones."

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for HEAVY RAINFALL and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in the Northern Country, North Central, North East, West and South
Gippsland and parts of the Central and East Gippsland Forecast Districts.

Bike may not get painted... :|

Luke.

Hopefully the weather hold out for ya!! We just got 4 inches of snow and now slush.

I finally named mine and got a little striping/lettering done. I'm still learning so be easy on me.
105C6FD1-FFE3-4EC4-8FCA-898AFEDE753A-15026-00001553C7B27AC2.jpg

LukeTheJoker said:
Edit: Just checked the weather predictions, and my best days for painting in the coming week (not raining) is tomorrow and the next day, I will need two days to do it, one day to prime, next to sand and top coat, and that is just the main frame colour, nevermind all the add ons... :shock: Not sure I can have it done and ready to paint by then, currently raining outside and under warnings for extreme weather, flash flooding, thunderstorms and quote "large hailstones."

Bike may not get painted... :|

Luke.

I am thinking you are missing a golden opportunity for an instant win... has there ever been a competition where one of the participants had entered a bike that was painted in a thunder and hail storm? I am thinking not, here you have an opportunity to push the envelope and do something no other bike builder has ever done :) get that bike outside and do some world class painting :) (all said with the appropriate amount of levity lol )
All kidding aside, be safe and stay dry!

Terry, I like it, that's what its all about, extending the comfort zone and being creative... good job

Rich

Thanks guys!

LukeTheJoker said:
Not sure I am desperate enough for the win to paint in the rain, nevermind the welding etc. I have to finish... :mrgreen:

Luke.

No guts no glory!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Got my dual cable brake lever today, very happy with it, seems to have a slightly longer pull than a standard lever too...

DSC00266 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

If anyone is looking for one, and I know how hard they can be to find, this is where I found it: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281011692094 ... 438.l2649#

On a not so good note, not sure my bike is going to get done, even though it has now stopped raining we are having some strong winds (40kph+, 25mph) that mean I cant weld or even paint. However later in the week, early next week, may be ok as now they are not predicting as much rain, going to end up working till the last minute I think... :roll: Possibly paint monday-tuesday...

Luke.

Unfortunatly weather is just one of those things we all have to deal with...
The wind here is still going, so far it has blown over a lot of things, including FatBob, which was sat up on bricks and even blown the door off my truck cab, admittedly it was sitting on there with no pivot bolts in the hinges, but that is still an impressive feat... :shock:

Luke.

Hopefully the weather holds out for ya dude! I would not be opposed to a slight extension due to outside forces! :D :D

That brake lever is pretty sweet by the way!

Latest posts

Back