Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" LAST BUILD WEEK!

I have no plans for another bike build but am seriously thinking about a side car for this one, possably useing a small cc (125?) Motorcycle front wheel for it and making a thin body from scrap sheel aluminum or something to keep it light. I have a few ideas swimming around up there. Sounds fun and you don't see bicycle side cars very often.

Got the first colour on the frame and forks today, looks great!
The colour is not what you may be expecting, but I have a reason behind it! :wink:

Also picked up the decals I had made, very happy with them. Got the ones for the rear wheel aero discs all mounted and set up while watching tv tonight, just have to clean down the tire and rim and I can mount them up, reinstall the brake discs and freewheels and the wheels are done. The other decals are nice too, cant wait to see them on the frame once the second colour is on and it is all cured... :mrgreen:

Picked up the brake cables, some pedals, bolts and nuts and some other stuff today for the bike too, pretty sure I now have everything I need to finish it, unfortunatly that also meant I could add up all the reciepts from steel and parts and see the total cost of the bike... Ended up costing a fair bit more than expected originally, but it is a far better bike than originally designed too...

Costs run something like this.

Steel: $45
Bikes for parts: $10
Rims to cut up for rear wheel: $20
Tire fitting: $10
Consumables (welding wire, gas, cutting discs etc.): $25
So frame, forks, both wheels, tires, bars, one crank, one freewheel comes to: $110.

Pretty cheap so far, but now comes the expensive stuff. (Expensive for me anyway, I know some builders on here would spend far more rebuilding a bike or building from scratch.)

Twin disc brake set: $50
Banana seat: $45
Second crank and freewheel: $30
Dual cable brake lever: $15
Decals: $50
Grips: $10
Cables: $15
Various bolts and nuts: $10
Painting supplies: $15
Pedals: $15
That comes to: $255.
Add that to the $110,
and the grand total is: $365! :shock:

I could have done it far cheaper if I just used one disc brake, a standard seat, single side drive, no wheel discs (much smaller decals needed then) and pedals I already own, and that would have come to $200 all done, just over half price, but glad I spent the extra, the bike has turned out far better than expected! Really happy with it, and it is the most fun to ride of any bike I have ever ridden!

If I take the view of buying a bike to replace it, it would cost at least double that and I would not have the satisfaction of knowing I built it myself! 8) Easily worth the $365. I would not sell it for that, or even anywhere near it.

Luke.

That being said Luke, I have maybe $50.00 in my build being most is aquired from scraping, what kind of value would you place on my final product? I would welcome every ones thoughts to that question. I'm not very knowledgable in bikes, brands and their values. Thank you in advance too all who provide a thought. :D

KRANDALL said:
That being said Luke, I have maybe $50.00 in my build being most is aquired from scraping, what kind of value would you place on my final product? I would welcome every ones thoughts to that question. I'm not very knowledgable in bikes, brands and their values. Thank you in advance too all who provide a thought. :D
I will let you know when I get it done, certainly far more than my $365 outlay... :wink:

Got the colour coats all finished today. Rememeber I said it is not a colour you might expect? Well here it is...

DSC00288 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

It's black and white. Probably the least likely colours used on a muscle bike as they were mainly painted in bright attention grabbing colours, but I have a reason for doing it, and it will all be clear when you see it done... (Hopefully!)

After I finished painting I went to work on scrubbing the rear whitewall, used some ExitMould bathroom cleaner to clean the white, it worked really well and came up nice and clean.

DSC00287 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Really happy with how it is coming together, pretty sure it will be the best bike ever built! (By me... So far... This year...) :wink:

Luke.

Doh! It's true... great minds DO think alike. I was going to go with black and white too :roll: The banana seat I got is black and white so I figured it would save recovering it. I will now have to rethink my colour scheme... thanks Luke :x

But seriously, I had thought of black and white because of the seat, but I can't really afford any paint so I might just have to use the test pots of house paint that are lying around. There are a few but I can't remember what colours are there... think there was some red and some blue :?

Anyway, here is my final "in progress" shot before dismantling and painting it some colour other than black and white :wink:

14_LastProgressShot.jpg

So... tomorrow I will have to investigate the colours available and decide. Only four more days :shock:

Last edited:

Bike is looking awesome Glen!
I am fine with you painting black and white, it would go really nicely with your seat and whitewalls! 8)
Just because I beat you to paint does not mean you cant use the same colours... if you had painted yours first, I still would have painted mine black and white... :wink:

I can see a little of your front coaster brake idea in the pic, I take it that you got it to work no worries?
Loving your bike, I think I may build something similar before too long if you dont mind?

Luke.

Lookin' good guys! I'm gonna stitch everything up tomorrow night and hopefully get some sunny shots of it completed. I got surprisingly annoyed with this build toward the end. I'm glad I stuck with it though! :lol: :lol:

A small hint of what is to come...

DSC00291 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

As you can tell I did a little mocking up today, just to make sure things fit and I am happy with what pieces are each colour before things get finished up, also cleaned and stripped the wheels, regreased them and put them back together, cleaned up the head and crank bearings and cups ready to regrease and assemble.

Hopefully the final assembly goes without a hitch, no time for re-dos and repainting, think I am be going down to the wire to try and get my shots in daylight on sunday...

Is everyone else going to make it?

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:

Is everyone else going to make it?

Luke.

:?:

After checking my test pots of paint and finding nothing suitable, I checked my finances and will buy some spray paint tomorrow. I have an idea on colour but will have to see what there is available at the shop.

I'm super excited to see everyone's final products!! I'm hoping the weather holds out for pictures! This really has been a fun build off. I'm proud to have competed.

Hello all. Glen, your build looks great, I agree with Luke on back and white cause I love the seat, great bike. Luke, I love the checkered look on your "preview" can't wait to see the finished bike.

KRANDALL said:
Hello all. Glen, your build looks great, I agree with Luke on back and white cause I love the seat, great bike. Luke, I love the checkered look on your "preview" can't wait to see the finished bike.
Thanks Randy!
Hoping to have it all together and riding by Saturday now, everything is working out fine, so if it keeps going like that, I should have a spare day... 8) Good thing too! I need a break! :lol:

Luke.

OneHorsePower said:
i sure wont miss the unveil ..watching closely :shock: :D
Coming soon! :wink: Spent most of last night assembling the bike and spent today getting the photos and videos!

Had an absolute ball, we had so many people coming up for a look, people driving by and waving, kids running away from thier parents to get a closer look... We sat some of the kids on the bike, none of them could reach the bars but they enjoyed it, specially when we showed them the secret weapon buttons! (There is a siren/flashing lights hidden under the seat.) :mrgreen:

Here is one pic to hold you for today...

FILE0105 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Going to sort through the many photos and videos and post them in the finished bikes thread tomorrow.

By the way, I love this bike, so much fun and so comfortable to ride!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back