Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" ENDS SUNDAY!

This is gonna be a fun weekend!!!
Looking forward to seeing everyone's finished creations!!!!

due to me being quite ill with flu i have been able to make any progress the last week.
does anyone else think they may not be able to finish it by sunday? , because i wont be able to so if i dont get much work done today i am going to prmote an etra couple of days bringing the deadline up till tuesday.
what do you guys think?
cheers,
Jake

Fine by me, sickness is not something that can be avoided... And it wouldn't be the same without your bike in it!
I think also Rich was not going to make it either due to being busy at work...

How much extra time you thinking about?

Luke.

Thankfully the snow stopped this morning and the sun is shining! I'll have my pictures taken if it kills me. :lol: :lol: Luke the bike looks AMAZING!

Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" INJURY OVERTIME?

I ended up posting my pics and videos on the finished thread, even if we do go for a little longer, I consider the bike done, there is nothing I want to change about it anyway! 8)

Let me know what you think of the bike! :wink:

Luke.

Take as much time as needed, unfortunately, I am a bit swamped for the foreseeable future, sorry I am going to miss the deadline. I can't wait to see what you guys do though! Hopefully I will finish mine up over the next 2 weeks... The slow start and the constantly rebuilding things ended up my downfall. I'll be better prepared the next time!! :wink:

Rich

I'm ok with a deadline extension... although I will not be taking advantage of it myself. I am as done as I am going to be. Not that happy with my paint job (stupid cheap spray cans :x ) but it'll do.

Also having trouble getting my handlebars nice and tight. They are 22.2mm in a 25.4mm clamp with (homemade) shims but the shims don't seem to be grabbing well. The coaster brake works but not sure how well it will stop me :shock:

Will take my photos later today and upload to the FINISHED BIKES THREAD... viewtopic.php?f=43&t=70025

Awesome bike Glen! Looks great!
I am guessing Terry or Randy will be posting thier finished bike up next!
With Rich and Lucas out, :( Jake still going, 8) not sure what happened to Tim "everetts" or Iven though... :?

Luke.

Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" DEADLINE TUESDAY!

A side job I had scheduled for this weekend feel thru, so I started to plug away at the bike yesterday, it will be nowhere near complete... but I will at least crawl across the finish line dragging my bike parts with me :) I hate starting something and not working till the end on it... give it everything I have anyway...
I will not be offering it to the final judging, though I do not think it would get any votes anyway (the 2 bikes shown there now are outstanding! :) ) :mrgreen: , it is not a complete bike, probably will not have much or any drive train...

Rich

Well looks like I'm going to have to half ... my final shot. With the super limited time I have this week this is the best I can do. Hopefully I can find the time to finish it properly. I just ran out of interest in it.

ebe40d47a1ad62e44c151ca072a084f0.jpg

48780dd4cf6cc9081cba62023ee2c7cf.jpg

2e56c451d283b9a155e8c0fd7e523a0e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk because my computer blew up while posting pictures arrrgh

Here she is, I made a couple of cosmetic changes to her the last week. No more banana seat, sorry, not my style :) front handle bars, the apes I made were just plain bad :mrgreen: I like the track style forks, these were just some kid bike handlebars I had here, and frankly, I like them :p

Lots todo to finish her up, more grinding, sanding and weld filling over the next week. I have some issues with the front forks, I have new steerer and head tubes coming in the next week... Somewhere in the garage is the chains I purchased last week hehehe...

Here she is, I had a blast building her and being part of the comp!
musclebikeglamshot01_zps11c241e3.jpg

musclebikeglamshot02_zps62ed7eb8.jpg

musclebikeglamshot03_zpsecdd9982.jpg

Rich

fair play you guys - it shouldn't be a competition just a display of awesome machines

if i saw one of them cruisin down my street i'd probably stalk it and end up getting arrested

Still pluggin along when I get time, took her for a ride today, I had some loose stuff that needed tightening, some things that really need to be fixed or considered more carefully for future builds.

Bottom bracket question. The threads on the left side are supposed to be the left hand thread correct? That is the side opposit of the sprocket... I am only tacked on, so it is easy to change, but it loosened up 2X so I am wondering if it is on the wrong side... it was only finger tightened each time...

Tires are awesome. Front rim 24"x2.5" and a 24"x1.75" tire, it does work and it feels good up there. Rear rim 26" 2.25" and a 26"x2.5" tire... feels nice and cushy when riding, with the springs on the seat and the nice roll of the tire, the ride is far more comfortable than I thought it would be.

Dropouts/// think bigger slots for the rear, I am not allowing myself enough room to adjust them... lesson learned, everyone else is doing that for a darned good reason :) Next build I will place the bigger dropouts on the rear and the smaller on the fronts.

Handlbars, I am going to make some adjustments to these and than use them as a pattern for bending up some new ones. They just need to be wider than they are now, I am thing 6-8" increase per side.

Frame is still, maybe too stiff, I was not planning to use the 1 1/2" tubing for the top tubing, it was a last resort situation, next build will be smaller and lighter for tubing sizes. With the length of the front forks it is hard to get a good feel on whether the frame is as nimble as I had hoped...

Front forks.... I hate these things :) I rebuilt them 2x during the build, each time was blatantly my fault... I learned... Forks ar long, the steering is sluggish, but after riding for an hour, it is not so out there... kinda enjoyable, not not a light nimble or fast bike feel to it, but something more radical without being completely off the wall. It was fun, but I think dropouts that are smaller would help make the experience a little tighter and easier to manage.

I think I am going to enjoy this bike for some of the bike trails around here, she is not the type of bike to sit back on, you have to really hold onto the handle bars, or you are going to fall back off her :mrgreen: but, that just helps to add the the charm of her hehehe...

Whens the next buildoff :mrgreen: !

Rich

I take it from your comment you are using a 3 piece bottom bracket? I have come unstuck with them a few times, because they are actually opposite to what you would think they would be. The cranks turn one way which rotates the ball bearings and actually ends up turning the cups in the opposite direction. I just make sure now that I put the side with the large lock ring on the non drive side, that way I always get it right. (I even made a up a rhyme to remember it: Small side=drive side.)

Looking forward to seeing the bike again, you could just keep posting here...
Want me to change the title to "Muscle bike build off" Bikes still being built.?

Luke.

Thanks Luke, you definitely called that one! I appreciate the tip...
I'm fine with the thread named the way it is... I'm not doing this for anything other than some closure for me personally, I feel I need to finish the things I said I would do :) I might not have made the deadline, but I want to finish this build even with its little worts :roll:

Took my bike in to my tire guy today to show him, because he made me promise to show him when it was done, first thing he says is "How much?" :shock: To which I replied "Not for sale" but he was not happy with that answer...

Long story short, sadly the "50 years" bike is no longer mine, he made me an offer I could not refuse, and he threw in some tires I need for the big build off too. Sad to see it go, but the extra money will be put back into the next bike for the big build off and I am running out of room to store many more bikes anyway, so not too upset really...

Well, maybe a little... But on to the next one... :wink:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back