Apes and bananas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The steer was delivered this morning :D I put it on as soon as I got to school:

20131031_112956.jpg

I'm still thinking about the wheel/rims and therefore the colors too. The thing is I'm doubting between 2 kind of rims (and whatever follows after that choice)

regular 28" rims
or
classic omafiets (grandmothers bicycle) 28" rims.

The omafiets rims are wider, 28 1 1/2 And come in chrome and black. Tires for these are either colored (which I don't like for this bike) creme or black.
For the other rims, you can get whitewalls too.

I want either chrome, blue or white rims on my bike if I will use black tires.
I want either chrome or blue rims when using creme tires.
I want blue or white rims when using whitewalls.

I also prefer the omafiets rims, which are wider

And I prefer to not having to paint the wheels before using them.

This all leads to getting chrome omafiets rims, with creme tires (which looks great I think) But I'd have to get creme colored handles seat too instead of plain white to match...

Any opinions? Other ideas, or what you think is the best option?

I thought whitewalls on chrome rims wouldn't look too good, but it does, plus I found 28 1 1/2 inch whitewalls… problem might be solved :)

Sen said:
This all leads to getting chrome omafiets rims, with creme tires (which looks great I think) But I'd have to get creme colored handles seat too instead of plain white to match...

Any opinions? Other ideas, or what you think is the best option?

Cream tyres, grips and seat on a blue frame would look pretty slick. Classy

Allright, thanks. I got a pair of chrome rims yesterday (have to go back for 1 cause it's damaged) And took the bike for a spin today. .... it's twitchy. The steering was VERY sensitive because of the negative trail of course, so I took a rubber band thing and tied it around the fork to see whether a steering damper would solve the problem, and it did for a big part. I'm going to the scrapyard monday to look for some springs for the damper, probably trampoline springs or something like that.

Thanks, the thing is, it ain't done yet. I'm really struggling with the steering. It's way too sensitive/wobbly. I want to fix it, without having to redo the whole fork. I know the problem is in the trail, but there are so many bicycles with a huge negative trail...

20131213_144225.jpg
After emailing a few people who know more about bicycles than me, and after thinking for very long, I finally grew the balls to cut up the frame. To increase stability and most of all control of the bike I decided to increase the angle of the headset, to match the angle of the front fork.

First I cut the two top tubes and I sawed a notch in the bottom tube just behind the headset.
20131213_142056.jpg

I then bent the whole thing and welded everything back together
20131213_144225.jpg

The bike is now only lowered because I steel need to remake the bracket that goes on the top of the headset. This needs to be longer than the previous one to rise the bike again. Thats when the angle of the fork will be good again (hopefully)
20131213_155853.jpg

Thanks guys. I put it (sort of) back together today. The stance changed of course because the fork was in the wrong position on that last photo. I just reversed the original brackets, without having to make a new one. The ride is good again!

Setup:
20131216_134729.jpg

stance right now:
20131216_135005.jpg

I'll make some pictures of it all together tomorrow.

The project has been standing still for too long now. There's an exhibition coming up in July and I wanna present this bike there.
I was already fed up with the original colour scheme, so I came up with a new one.

color2.jpg

Latest posts

Back