APRIL U.P. WATERFALLS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you have the money and no obligations this is the month to leave Michigan's U.P. The weather is a time warp, it varies from 50F (last week) in the day to -2F (today) at night. Right now it's winter. It started snowing on Friday so we drove to camp, just to look at different snowbanks.

There was too much snow to ride a bike and it was so cold that I snapped a bolt off of a gooseneck I was working on so I brought my wife's 3 speed wheel inside the camp to fix a flat.

Saturday morning it was still snowing so we went on a five mile waterfall hike. The creeks are open so the water is quite high in the rivers so we thought a waterfall/brewery tour would give us something to do.

Open creek, still over a foot of old snow in the woods but last week it was warm enough for the spring runoff.

Hiking to the falls. Saturday had weird weather, snowing and suddenly it was clear and bright, back and forth all day like that.

There is an island in the river that splits the lower falls into an east and west series of cataracts. It drops 23 feet here. The east Lower Falls, its snowing so its not a clear picture.

Walking to the west Lower Falls.

West Lower Falls. There is still more falls below this cascade but I couldn't get down there to take a picture

Four miles later we get a glimpse of the Upper Falls through the snow.

A little farther along the hike and we got a better view.

5 miles and 26 flights of stairs.

The tannin colored falls behind the snow.

End of the stairs at the lip of the falls.

Upper Falls, third largest USA water fall east of the Mississippi. 200 feet across and drops 50 feet.

Pictures posted at the falls in a shadow box. Spring log jam

There isn't enough money in the world to get me to do this

End of the trail

Back at camp

We didn't leave on Sunday because we were told that you could only drive 35 mph because of blowing snow and there were two cars in the ditch at the rock cut so we came home Monday

Another falls on the road home

Last edited:
3 dog night? :grin:
Yup, the Brittany, the Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier and the German Short Hair Boxer mutt. This morning my hiking boots had the laces gnawed off. Everyone was feigning innocence. No remains of the laces to be found, yum. The dogs could run at camp in the woods as the foot of snow under the fresh 6 inches had been melted and was frozen solid. I love to watch them run and jump over fallen logs and dodge through the trees. They chase each other all over the place.

Beautiful man, great story and history about the area....I always say "one thing about MI, it gets nicer the further North ya go" and this is proof! -Good karma your way from a troll...

I think its from the leaves that had fallen in to the river. For as long as I can remember that river was that color. Or it could be form the mineral content from the land. For many years mining iron and copper was a big think in the UP. The area has an interesting labor history, interesting as in bad.

HumMMm BeerFall :crazy:
IMG_1509_zpstj127act.jpg

Very nice place :thumbsup:

why is the water tannin colored?
Luce County is almost all swamp and as such it is owned by the State of Michigan. The State owns most of Luce county because it is all swamp and the River drains the swamps. The leaves and evergreen needles fall into the swamps and sit as they are drained slowly.

Latest posts

Back