are original spokes valuable?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, first off, I don't post often but I admire everyones creativity and super cool bikes! Has inspired me to build my own rat rod bike.

I have a question not related to the rat rod bike. I have recently 'found' my original early 80s Schwinn Trasher. This was my very first bike and I loved it as a kid. So I want to restore it to its original condition. My question is about the wheels. I want to restore the wheels to 'like new' condition. The spokes are a bit rusty and pitted, some of them are bent a bit. Would the bike lose value if I was rebuild the bike with new spokes or should I attempt to restore the original spokes? Are they restorable? rechrome? I plan to take the wheels apart to the gold anodizing redone. I don't ever intend to sell the bike, but I would like keep it as original as possible.

img0046w.jpg

well all up to you spokes are spokes unless you going to restore it to look like it cam off the show room floor and sell it for top dollar
a rat is a rat it only looks good to you and others that embrace the rusty,cruddy look like it came out of the river or a old barn.

if your gunna rat it out that wheel looks just fine how it is and if you need to replace the broken or bent spokes just use some new ones
and it will add to the rat essence.

JMO! its yours so run with it and if your happy with it ride it.

Can't answer your question but I can tell you that I have NOS Schwinn spokes (limited amount)and thousands upon thousands of NOS National Screw and Ohio Rod spokes. I would be happy to part with them. If you are interested let me know the length and I would see if I can help you out. Oh ya, hundreds of thousands of nipples too.

I'd say that unless it's the double butted spokes, or the earlier longer nipples, post 60s spokes are fairly generic, so if you're making it pretty, might as well replace all of them. -Adam

Rustinkerer said:
I'd say that unless it's the double butted spokes, or the earlier longer nipples, post 60s spokes are fairly generic, so if you're making it pretty, might as well replace all of them. -Adam

I think you're right. It's not like the spokes are stamped or anything anyway.

Just to clarify, this is what the original bike looks like (picture is not mine)
schwinnthrasher020blowu.jpg

That bike is awesome, Personally I'd just clean them and re-assemble it, Re-chroming is kinda pricey. and new spokes even though nobody would notice just wouldn't be original. Looking at the bike I'd paint the spokes black and keep with the gold ano on the rims. And if you ever wanted to change it the paint comes off really easy so you can change it later if you wanted..

Latest posts

Back