ATOMIC PUNK - New camera time - August 8

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in again. I'm starting with a Micargi Puma frame. This one will be gloss black with polished alloy, chrome and stainless parts. I'll be using two stems and split bars on the triple tree fork, a recovered WCC saddle and some cool lights. I'm not gonna spend much money on this build, or fabricate too many parts. The only things I have to find are a headlight and some alloy for the tank plates. The tail light will be a repop vintage microphone I picked up at a pawn shop. I'm not sure if I will use 24" or 26" wheels and tires yet.......the build will tell me as it progesses.

Frame
DSCF2367.jpg

This will be the tail light
DSCF2370.jpg

Re: LOW COMMOTION

Frame and fork: great
Seat: can't wait to see what you do with it
Microphone taillight: brilliant!

Good luck, can't wait to see it, last year was inspirational, I see the same thing coming again.

First job done. Cut the seat post down and mock up of where the saddle will roughly mount. I'll have to decide which wheels and tires I'm using to make sure I'll have clearance on the rear.

DSCF2375.jpg

DSCF2376.jpg

Crazy on the tail light......off to the pawn shops... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CCR said:
I think I'm going to love this bike :D

Thanks, CCR :D . I'm actually more enthused over this build than I was for Bareknuckle Brawler last year (maybe because I won't be building wheels or forks!). I've got a solid plan this year, and won't be straying too far from it.

I cut the bars today in readiness for the first mock-up in a couple of days. Also dug out a possible wheelset.

Bars
DSCF2378.jpg

Bars cut
DSCF2380.jpg

Here's my $400 wheelset :wink:. I built this a couple of years ago and have hardly used it. 26" Sun Double Wide rims with a Sachs Duomatic rear hub and a vintage Sachs front hub. Currently fitted with Electra Vintage Diamond 26x2.35 tires, but I have a set of 3g Boa-G's for this build if I use 26" wheels.
DSCF2381.jpg

Sweet!! GTB !! Those wheels are sick! Peace

I tried out the bars today, and put a set of wheels and tires on it. I'm not really diggin' the 26" look.......gotta get it much lower :D .......I'll have to see how 24's look, and slide the fork tubes up a bit.

DSCF2407.jpg

DSCF2410.jpg

Re: LOW COMMOTION - First Look

Now I'm getting happier :D . Went back down to the workshop and changed the fork and wheels and tires.......it's starting to get the look I'm after. Just have to drop the rear a bit to level it out.
I've been getting home later from work this week and we've had some rain, so I'm hoping for finer weather this week-end to take a couple of outside/daylight pics.

DSCF2411.jpg

Re: LOW COMMOTION - First Look

I will be watching this Grand Funk build!

Re: LOW COMMOTION - Wheelset update - May 5

I've decided on the wheelset and tires I'm using. 24" double wall SunRims with NOS Sachs hubs and stainless spokes. Tires are Electra Fatti-O's..........maybe :? .

DSCF2385.jpg

Re: LOW COMMOTION - Wheelset update - May 5

I managed to get a couple of jobs done today. I stripped the guts out of the mic case, so I can start building the tail light, and cut the chainguard brackets off the frame. I'm gonna have to get a new backdrop for my pics......the 8' x 4' sheet of white corflute that I usually use is not long enough for this bike :shock:

DSCF2421.jpg

Fat and Low :)
DSCF2433.jpg

Latest posts

Back