Aussie Cruisestar SS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first brand new bike in over 20 years! (OK, I did get a couple of Repco/Huffy cruisers from a department store, but I only used them for the frames) I've been looking at these at my LBS for a while, and the owner offered me a deal I couldn't refuse a couple of days ago :D .

It's a Malvern Star (iconic Aussie company now owned by, you guessed it, Pacific Cycles :( ) Cruisestar SS. Nice frame size and geometry and actually came fitted with pretty good quality components.........too bad i pulled them all off and replaced them with other stuff :shock:

When I got it
DSCF3154-1.jpg

I had a heap of parts gathering dust and cobwebs, so changed a few things. I swapped the wheels for a set of SunRims Double Wide rims with a Sachs Duomatic rear hub, and Electra Vintage Diamond 26 x 2.35 tires, removed the front brake and swapped the saddle for a Brooks B17, and the bars for a set of Nitto promenade bars. I like it much better and it rides great.......I had forgotten how nice the Duomatic was to use :D

I had to remove one of the rear fender braces, as I couldn't stop it rubbing.....not much room with the big tires, but will refit it after I do a bit of filing and bending to get it to fit without rubbing.

DSCF3155-1.jpg

DSCF3161-1.jpg

DSCF3156-1.jpg

Nice update.
Those monster drop plates remind me of the old Murrays.

So simple and at the same time so beautiful.
Love it man, wouldn't change/add a single thing.

Gdcast said:
So simple and at the same time so beautiful.
Love it man, wouldn't change/add a single thing.

Thanks Gdcast :D ........It'll be staying just this, although I may to find some slightly smaller tires if I can't stop the rubbin' on the fender struts.

It looks really nice. To solve the rubbing problem, I would take them off . Don't need no stinkin fenders. :wink:

Uncle Stretch said:
It looks really nice. To solve the rubbing problem, I would take them off . Don't need no stinkin fenders. :wink:

Thanks, Uncle Stretch, I normally do take the fenders and the chainguard off straight away, but I like this bike with them so much, I'm determined to leave them on. I found out it was the stand rubbing anyway, so all good :D

sensor said:
this just proves you dont need to go to drastic lengths to make a beautiful bike!
LOVE IT :mrgreen:

Thanks sensor, it's fast becoming my favorite bike.

Wish I had access to tires like those here... but this gives me an idea... maybe I can squeeze some moped or motorcycle tires on a 26 or 24rim :?: :?: :?:

Gdcast said:
Wish I had access to tires like those here... but this gives me an idea... maybe I can squeeze some moped or motorcycle tires on a 26 or 24rim :?: :?: :?:
J&B Importers sells 'em. CST 26 x2.40. I used 'em on old reliable...
OF1.jpg

Gdcast said:

Mine came from the U.S through Amazon. Can you get shipping to Uruguay through Amazon?

Gdcast said:
No, amazon doesn't ship here... only ebay, but shipment is over a hundred for tires :shock:

WOW, but you guys have all of those cool Autotruck like cargo bikes. Loved my visit a couple of years ago to Montevideo and Colonia and B.A.

So you´ve around here uh? Next time you get visit us again you´re more than welcome to go grab a beer and talk bikes with me :wink:

Autotrucks? show me a pic...

Yeah, full of truck bikes around, and British rod brakes bikes and Chinese knockoffs too :wink:
No american bikes though :cry: you have to build them from scratch if you want one :wink:

So, did you had the chance to visit Punta del Este here in Uru? Cause that´s cherry on top of the ice cream in this region. If you didn´t, come back during the summer and I´ll give you the tour. Thou I warn you, you may want to stay there for ever...

Back