Aussie Dragster.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aussie Dragster.
dragster008_zpsab604fd8.jpg
dragster007_zps98ddefad.jpg
dragster006_zps35a1ccfd.jpg
dragster004_zps739bd28a.jpg
dragster001_zps709e272c.jpg

Luck,got it of ebay for $250 about five years ago,the original owner shipped it over from the state's,its a 2004 KHS Manhattan Inferno.Where in Beautiful Victoria are you?

I hear ya Joker,to tell you the truth i could'nt bend a bannana,let alone steel pipe,you seem too be the man for that,only seen your stuff now and"WOW"! do you think you could build me a frame?PLEASE,please :D .......ps,i got a place near Inglewood.

primestyle said:
I hear ya Joker,to tell you the truth i could'nt bend a bannana,let alone steel pipe,you seem too be the man for that,only seen your stuff now and"WOW"! do you think you could build me a frame?PLEASE,please :D .......ps,i got a place near Inglewood.
:mrgreen:
Had to think about this a bit before I replied, I would love to build you a frame, I would have to get you to cover the costs though, we don't have the budget to do stuff for free I am afraid. So worked out some rough prices for you.

Depends on what you want, the frame is the easy part for me, if you want the big wheels etc, that is more work, I dont mind doing it but that is the bit that costs the money, I pay about $10-$20 a rim and usually use two so I can split them and get the width needed to suit the tire, tires are free from the local triumph and harley dealers but getting them fitted is about $10, Making up the hubs uses up a couple of rear hubs from normal bike wheels but they are cheap $5 bikes and come with the 3 piece bottom brackets to widen too... (So each wide rim/tire combo would run about $55. Still cheaper than buying a wide rim and fat frank! Heavier though... :roll: )

Frame probably only costs $35-$50 in steel depending on what tube and size bike you want and if I can use parts on the bikes I have on hand. Basically the more custom the job, the more steel tube, flat stock etc, I have to buy. On top of that I guess there is welding wire, gas, cutting discs etc, but that would not be much, maybe $20 for a frame and $10 each wide wheel?

So depending on what you want it could cost from $55 (basic smaller frame including consumables) to $205 (big complicated frame with big wheels and tires front and rear. Including consumables.)

To give you some idea the muscle bike build off bike I am finishing up would cost about $90 for the frame and rear wheel/tire +$30 for consumables, you would supply the rest (front wheel/tire, forks, seat, bars etc, etc...) yourself and do finish sanding, prep, painting etc... (that is the part I hate doing! :wink: ) Something like FatBob would be far more than that, there is alot of work there and I am not sure I would like to risk someone else's money on something so experimental anyway. If you want a full finished bike, I could do that too, but I would not have any idea what to charge for paint etc...

I would not expect to make any money on it, this is just a hobby for me, with my health the way it is, that is just the way it has to be...
If you came up with a drawing or pictures of something you like, including dimensions, I could price out the steel etc, and give you a price, if it comes in under that could make up a set of ape hangers or something for you to cover the difference?

If you decide you want a frame and it all goes ahead, I would probably need 4 weeks to do a frame and maybe 2 weeks for each big wheel/tire combo, it doesn't actually take many hours to do, but my health and total fire ban days, rain etc, makes things slower. If you do decide to do it, when you come to pick up the bike you would be more than welcome to ride the muscle bike and FatBob if it is finished... :D

Fair warning though, my frames do tend to run a bit heavier than a standard frame due to the fact I build them like a tank, The muscle bike frame comes in at 7kg, but it is actually a larger and more complicated frame than it looks. The rear wheel and tire comes in at 17kg. By comparison the rear wheel and tire on FatBob is 35kg, :shock: But it is huge and on a 16x9 rim...

I can even run a build thread on it while building it, and you can see it come together and get me to change things you don't like along the way...

Let me know if you decide to go ahead, I am all for it, as I love building bikes and I dont have the room to store too many for myself...

Luke.

P.S. I have plans here for a monster cruiser with 225/20/20 car tires on 20x8 steel hoops (I have a source) Whatever derailler set up you want gearing wise, dual discs on the front and a single on the rear, it would be an awesome bike, but it is beyond my budget, if you wanted something WAY over the top and were able to cover the costs, I could build it for you... :wink: If you are not interested and I manage to save the money to build it myself, look out for it next years build off... :mrgreen:

Thank you so much for the legth and depth of your reply i really appreciate it,YES :D YES :D YES :D,sounds good,sorry i mean it sounds @#$%^& grouse,sorry um abit excited,i got some photo's to track down and i will be in touch.Thanks Joker,ps your not joking are you :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back