Avocado, first pics of the finished bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Avocado

kingfish254 said:
Who needs a laidback seatpost when you can have a laidback seattube?
SLICK!

That's it! I've made laid back seatposts, so I figured I needed to put this back further than a seatpost could, or else there's no point in the extra work. This thing is way back!

Re: Avocado

First full mock up pic.

The seat to bottom bracket position is great, but those rams horn bars just don't work on it. I'm leaning too far forward, and they don't flow right. I need to find a set that's swept back, which will look better with the swept back seat position.

Also, the thing that's kicking my rear the most is the chain guard. I knew that fitting a Columbia guard on a Schwinn frame would not be easy, but man, I canNOT get it to stop grinding everywhere. I think my chainring may be too large, but I very much wanted to use up the parts I have, and I had that.

I'll keep fiddling with it, as well as trying different bars.

Re: Avocado, First Mock Up Pic

Love the full mockup, but I agree with you about the bars.
I'll measure my Columbia chainring for you tomorrow for comparision.
Love the seat postion and the forks too.
Looking good!

josh_from_ga said:
this is gonna be one of the ones i follow. very original, and very good work. what kind of welding do you do?

Thanks all. Josh, I oxy/acetylene weld everything.

Just a couple of quick pictures. I tried these other handlebars that I bought here on RRB, some cool laid back apes. But I didn't like these on there, either, so I'm going to try making a set to fit.

I actually like the style of those bars with your build. Maybe make some like it that just extend back another foot.

kingfish254 said:
I actually like the style of those bars with your build. Maybe make some like it that just extend back another foot.

You saw exactly what I saw.

I made my own bars. I used a standard 10 speed handlebars, then I welded on the top halves of a pair of odd exercise bike ape hangers to it, and I was left with these. They're big, and odd, but I actually like it quite a bit. I also finally worked out the chain guard, I re-drilled the mounting hole in the back up a little higher, and that helped.

Here is the final mock up before paint:

Re: Avocado, Final Mock Up Before Paint

There ya go buddy roe!!!!
Love the bars even more than the old ones!

deven_science said:
kingfish254 said:

You saw exactly what I saw.

I made my own bars. I used a standard 10 speed handlebars, then I welded on the top halves of a pair of odd exercise bike ape hangers to it, and I was left with these. They're big, and odd, but I actually like it quite a bit. I also finally worked out the chain guard, I re-drilled the mounting hole in the back up a little higher, and that helped.

Here is the final mock up before paint:

Just an idea you could run that top bar you added into the factory top bar and make it look like it was done that way from the factory

Latest posts

Back