B.F. Goodrich Challenger Sabre

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up yesterday. Serial is MOU 11X7 460495. From what i read on the "murray project" it's probably a '62. i'm a newbie and any more information on this bike would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

challengersabre_zpsd7f02c1f.jpg

MOU 11X7 460495.
There are some that would try to say that this bike is a 1955, but I beg to differ. Here is a link to a 1962 Murray catalog. http://murrayeliminatormusclebikes.yuku ... ay-Catalog
MO= Murray of Ohio.
U= 1962 in this case
11= model number in the Murray catalog
X7= BF Goodrich
460495= consecutive build number.

The reason that I say it is a 62 is because of the model number. There was no model number 11 in 55. There was in 62.

Welcome to the forum! Murray, like most bike co's., reused number and letter sequences. The most recent Murray codes cover from 1937-59, and 59 was MO-R. So, it would figure the series would soon start over. The "Flight" style frame of your bike, easily ID'd by the pointy rear dropouts, was introduced in 1958, and used up to the early 80s! There's a learning curve for bike ID in general, and often, new info will surface, or existing codes decoded, or, a bike that appears original, but goes against known patterns. -Adam

30thtbird said:
MOU 11X7 460495.
There are some that would try to say that this bike is a 1955, but I beg to differ. Here is a link to a 1962 Murray catalog. http://murrayeliminatormusclebikes.yuku ... ay-Catalog
MO= Murray of Ohio.
U= 1962 in this case
11= model number in the Murray catalog
X7= BF Goodrich
460495= consecutive build number.

The reason that I say it is a 62 is because of the model number. There was no model number 11 in 55. There was in 62.
Rustinkerer said:
Welcome to the forum! Murray, like most bike co's., reused number and letter sequences. The most recent Murray codes cover from 1937-59, and 59 was MO-R. So, it would figure the series would soon start over. The "Flight" style frame of your bike, easily ID'd by the pointy rear dropouts, was introduced in 1958, and used up to the early 80s! There's a learning curve for bike ID in general, and often, new info will surface, or existing codes decoded, or, a bike that appears original, but goes against known patterns. -Adam

thank you both SO much for the information! it seems that the people in this forum are very helpful! thanks again

Latest posts

Back