(((***** BABYCAKES *****)))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my early 70's Panasonic Sport that's been sitting around here for a couple of years since it was given to us after sitting in someones cellar for over 20 years! It was pretty well preserved, but definitely in need on some TLC. My husband decided to completely dismantle it (as he does with almost all the bikes in the shop) to decrease storage space, and have it ready for customization. I normally don't get involved with the bikes, but really wanted an English style cruiser, and this one is being done with a twist. We're going for a bit of a "Bad ..." girls bike approach with a basket. And of course I have help.

Here's some of the parts list:

Velocity Chukker deep bare alloy wheels
Sturmey front drum brake hub
Shimano Alfine 8-speed rear hub
Selle Royale Royalegel comfort seat
Custom Motolow paint as close to Chevy seafoam green as we could get it
Whicker basket from Craigslist
Alloy rack (we have 2, but one may do!

Everything else to be determined!

IPanasonic.jpg

iPanasonic1.jpg

iPanasonic2.jpg

iPanasonic3.jpg

Thanx everyone. I'm looking forward to having a bike I built the way I want it. We have a thing for vintage bikes here! Here's a few pics spreading the frame. the method was borrowed from someone else in the built, and it made the process very easy. The spring compressors gave a very even spread on both sides with no need to make adjustments in either side once it was done. Took a good extra 2" of spreading to gain 10mm.

PanasonicBuild.jpg

PanasonicBuild1.jpg

PanasonicBuild2.jpg

Had to spread the forks a little too.

PanasonicBuild5.jpg

We still have the original chrome 27" wheels, but we ended up getting 2 vintage Sturmey drum brake chrome hubs to build them up with, so that's another project down the road.

That spring compressor has been laying around for over 25 years waiting for a purpose! LOL My husband used to be a mechanic, and said he used it 1-2 times and its been in the box ever since. Looks like its found a whole new purpose in life! It really did an awesome job.

Compressor?!? I just stepped on it with the converses and pulled real hard! KWAZY WRATTER!!

Jake Sensi said:
Compressor?!? I just stepped on it with the converses and pulled real hard! KWAZY WRATTER!!

Well, not all of us can afford such high tech equipment as you have, so we have to make do! LOL

We looked at the Sheldon Brown 2x4 method too, but when we say the spring compressor in use, and happened to have one on hand it seemed the easiest way to go! The spread to both sides was perfect. Must have been hard to get the measurements right for you?

Re: (((***** BABYCAKES *****))) Mock-Up

Here's some mock-up pics:

PanasonicBuild8.jpg

PanasonicBuild7.jpg

PanasonicBuild3.jpg

PanasonicBuild6.jpg

PanasonicBuild9.jpg

And here's a fit of the hub after the frame spread:

PanasonicBuild4.jpg

I jumped up and down on it till it closed in place. :lol: 145 pounds soak and wet!! Nice mocking!! GTB!! Peace

I have one of those spring compressors laying around I think!! That tire and wheel combo it nuts! Really dig what Im seeing on this one!! 8)

Than you to both of you! We're trying to go along with my husband's theme of "Modern Classics". I'm hoping he gets to enter his own bike this year (chrome Flightliner), but I'll attach a pic of last years bike you might remember. He has about 7 Spaceliner frames waiting for that special touch! LOL

Finish20.jpg

We're still trying to work out the paint scheme for my bike. Under consideration if a partial drip effect which ends up looking a bit like webbing. We also found some NOS Panasonic decals to replace the old ones on Ebay! Saved a little $$ from having to buy custom decals, or the time it would take to make our own.

Nice work. Looking forward to your hubby joining with one of his Liners.

KingGhidorah said:
Than you to both of you! We're trying to go along with my husband's theme of "Modern Classics". I'm hoping he gets to enter his own bike this year (chrome Flightliner), but I'll attach a pic of last years bike you might remember. He has about 7 Spaceliner frames waiting for that special touch! LOL

Finish20.jpg

We're still trying to work out the paint scheme for my bike. Under consideration if a partial drip effect which ends up looking a bit like webbing. We also found some NOS Panasonic decals to replace the old ones on Ebay! Saved a little $$ from having to buy custom decals, or the time it would take to make our own.
That is one sweet custom bike! If yours, or his liner come out like this, look out!

We're definitely hoping to make this one stand out. I have scoured the net looking for custom women's bikes, and really didn't find much. There were a few shabby art bikes, etc, but not much otherwise. At the very least it would nice to be able to get some votes on the "Babycakes" special!

Starting to think seriously about the paint scheme, and hoping to have the bike stripped, and prepped by the end of the weekend. Its way to rainy and humid for painting this week.

Go to the ARCHIVES, and search through the past build off...There's been a number of nice "lady" bikes built here. :D

Latest posts

Back