BO15 Back from the Abyss, I present; The Icarus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So my only build off bike i managed to finish, Chunkpunk, I didn't get to where I'd like.

I was forced to make a mask this year, so now I need a bike to match.

So another steampunk inspired build incoming!

I've had this frame sitting around for about 8 years since I bought it. Never rode or built it, life happened and my son turned 7 last month.

So onto the build. I have a few goals...

Firstly, the name. The Icarus, son of a master craftsman and too full of ego.

I will be trying a few things in this build to fit that underlying theme.
First and foremost I will be trying several new techniques to me. An ultra usable bicycle high on craftsmanship and detail while staying with an unmodified frame. I will be doing things I haven't seen done to bikes yet often if at all.

Highlights:
Color scheme is copper and black with wood and leather accents. Think old world tradesman.
The frame stripped and prepped and will be copper gilded.
I will try diy copper plating parts.
Modern retro parts will be used, as well as modification of existing parts.
Custom wooden tank and rear rack.
More spiked wheels. I did first. I'm doing it again.

Do-dads were my main thing last time, thing time I want small details that add to not draw away from the bicycle.

Potentially wooden fenders.

Attachments

• IMG_4837.JPG
    IMG_4837.JPG
    546.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 20200508_163019.jpg
    20200508_163019.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 135
Cool ideas! You've been away for awhile, you can upload photos directly to your post, and then click on Full Image / size to get them to post without the thumbnail.
RaT oN~!

So here's where we start.
If you guys remember I'm a youngin' and Dyno and GT bikes were huge in the mid 90s in my area, mostly on the BMX side, but also developed the first rear suspensions. But they also had the best cruisers around. The guys who designed the dyno cruisers went on to Felt and Electra and have been responsible for alot of the resurgence of cruisers.

They also did mountain bikes, but there was a little produced gem out there they had, I think even Steve, founder here had one of these years back. This is a grail bike to me. I picked thus up in a Craigslist steal about 9 years ago, tore it down, and slowly assembled parts over the years for this build.

It was the first retro cruiser in the mid 90s.
Modern parts and geometry, with classic lines.

A Dyno moto 7.

I can think of no better frame in a competition where you can't make or modify a frame.

Horizontal dropouts, square bracket 3 piece cranks, mountain bike geometry, 1 1/8 threadless tube.
8ca1d55bdef8677597a0a63d99f05efc.jpg
4271f147898637ec077f8caf3ca6125e.jpg
2b873bd834bf5863f8ec4a070d389982.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Wow. That IS a pretty frame design. I just Googled that model to see pics of complete bikes. Looks great.

Welcome back! I remember that armored fatty build!
Cool frame to start with. I dig the dropouts!

Got some of these on the way. 29mm.

I might be the only builder here that spends more on non bike parts for his builds than actual parts.

Last time I went side mounted spikes... thus time they are going to be center mounted, in line with the spokes.

032a1748baaac09c3ba6f579460f2aa8.jpg

So first mock buildup! And I still can't believe I sanded this frame ruining the original finish. As you can see this would have been a great bike as is.

So parts wise, this stuff Ive accumulated over the years kinda for this frame but never committing.

Its got a 1 1/8 threadless springer repop with an avid bb5 disc brakes in front i had from my other building bike, which I subsequently converted the front hub to electric on.

Shimano nexus 7 speed in the rear.

Bars are some aggresive looking motorcycle bars short GT piston stem off another Dyno cruiser, stem and narrow slightly angled bars.. these are kind of the same cockpit as my super awesome Jones H bars on my mountain bike minus the middle.

Had this cool headlight laying around been wiring to use also.

Seat is also off my last build off bike. I just love the way the holes are, I plan to use a similar motif in the tank.

Its that or I try stomach cutting up a brand new brooks honey leather saddle with some kind of scrollwork or engraving. Neither or which I have any experience with. But.. you never know, that would be last in the build if so.

Tires, I'm undecided yet. I have some creme fat franks, these aggresive whitewalls, or some skin wall shakebelly repops from the 80s.

Included is a road bike in a similar color theme as I envision. I've yet to see only but 1 bike ever gilded, and that sold for some crazy $60,000 amount at auction because it was some multi layer Japanese tree sap technique.

For those who don't know, gilding is also known as gold leafing. Its typically done on high end art frames and detailing work. I basically have to prime, paint the frame a color to accent the foil, then glue down several hundred individual little pieces of really thin, 1 mil foil, tap them down with a little brush then burnish and seal, in this case I'll be using 2k clearcoat. Its the only 2 part epoxy spray paint in a can I'm aware of, I'm not looking for this to ever need redone and last forever, as Master craftsman of their day did.

Kinda the color scheme I'm going for. Tires tbd, all steel/silver color items on this bike will be electroplated with copper then sealed.

Copper frame; black bars, forks, stem, seatpost, and chain.

Oh I forgot, as its not pictured, but I also have a set of NOS 80s odyssey black widow 3 piece cranks in black that fit the original chain ring, which will be copper'd.

Tank will be wood, I'm thinking something classical styled similar to the older Indian bicycles, only transplant a big "D" for dyno bikes, and angel wings engraved on, along with some real turquoise cabochons in a pattern line. And some bronze rivets around the outer edge.
tumblr_e8d2973a83217cd181ca95a0deae0fe4_aff0a974_1280.jpg

Here is my ultra high end photoshop job of my tank idea.

Basically a solid piece of wood, big D with a circle around it, wings trailing which will be a raised scrollwork that will be gold leafed, then descending in size turquise cabochons, which I also plan on carrying out elsewhere in the theme.
20200511_221918.jpg
931-OB_zoom.jpg

Attachments

• 20200511_221918.jpg
    20200511_221918.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 89
And since I'm throwing my ideas out there, I might also do the D and wings in modern masters copper patina paint. Its a multi step paint and really oxidizes producing a real verdigris effect. See Vader helmet I did using this paint

Not sure if that would clash with elegance of the copper foil frame though.
20180129_064339.jpg

Sad. While rummaging for parts, I found some old monarch flared fenders, decided to test mock them up and my light fell for the worse. Not sure what to do now on that.

Waiting on my copper foil and spikes. At a standstill till then. I did find a set if pedsls to use, but they are stuck good.

20200513_143123.jpg

Sad. While rummaging for parts, I found some old monarch flared fenders, decided to test mock them up and my light fell for the worse. Not sure what to do now on that.

Waiting on my copper foil and spikes. At a standstill till then. I did find a set if pedsls to use, but they are stuck good.

View attachment 120503

That sucks about the light

That's a great looking frame!

Be aware that the gilding will show every imperfection. You'll need to spend your time sanding, sanding, and more sanding on the primer and base coat if you expect to get anywhere close to the example that you posted.

This is going to be a real looker with the plan you have! Good luck

TIme for this to come out of Page 3 quarantine. Any progress?

Latest posts

Back