RRBBO13 Back In(B) The Day: Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That front wheel has just the right amount of clearance! :wink1:

5e7.gif

For my pedals I decided to do some work to these Schwinn exerciser pedals.
I will decide whether to keep the one piece blocks or swap in some different ones.
I think some different blocks would make them look less like exercise pedals but keeping the weights has a definite cool factor!

Sick pedals!!! I think I may have a set of those around somewhere.

Got the pedals finished up today. A little before and after:
101.JPG

102.JPG

103.JPG

Now that I know how the first one went down, the second was pretty easy.
First I broke it down.
104.JPG

Cleaned and greased. Didn't need much work as these pedals spent their whole life indoors.
105.JPG

106.JPG

107.JPG

109.JPG

Next I had to make these square shafts round with my belt sander.
110.JPG

Then I cut some studs so I could use these acorn nuts.
111.JPG

Finally back together.
112.JPG

114.JPG

I spent time yesterday stripping paint from the fork. Got it pretty clean. Texture pretty rough compared to the frame.
115.JPG

I knocked down the texture with a smooth file then started in with some 180 grit.
116.JPG

117.JPG

Better.
On the bike. My camera struggles with the shiny/black combo. The LED lights don't help either.
118.JPG

To be continued.....

Pedals are superb and the fork turned out great.
Beauty ride man!

Made some time for bikes this week, finally. Tried to find a stem/bar combo that didn't look "Schwinny". Settled on this stem, even though the chrome is pitted and peeling.
128.JPG

Then tried these bars.
129.JPG

My favorite grip removal tool.
130.JPG

Tried the bars, didn't like the look. Tried a similar set from an old sears diamond frame bike. New set has a little less rise.
Tried the cafe racer look. Yes, those are Thompson grips.
131.JPG

Not really my bag, so I turned them over.

Meanwhile, I got my shifter setup lined out.
I had planned on using these pulleys but the frame tubing was a smaller diameter.
132.JPG

So, I cut a piece of brass shim stock that I had for a different project.
133.JPG

And voila!
134.JPG

Got the shifter adjusted, so I decided to throw some grease in the bearings and see how it rides.
135.JPG

I like how it rides. Pretty fast for a Worksman. The Sturmey brakes are pretty underwhelming. Seat is in the "Show" position, definitely need to raise it up for "Go".

That brass shim fits the build nicely. Got anything you can add to that shifter lever to jazz it up a little?

The brass shim matches the brazing nicely.

Latest posts

Back