Backing out...(MBBO Class 1) Norbert.... 1961 Hercules Hawthorn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used 16" wheels on a Dahon folder, just thought it didn't fit with the Hercules. On mine, it had a serial number on the dropout, just 4 numbers 1556. Does yours have a number?
I wasn't going the 20" route until I saw that lil mtn bike with the disc brake. I'm still not too sure about it but am willing to give it a go and see how it looks. Norberts numbers are 11561. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the last two digits are the year of manufacture. His Sturmey Archer hub was dated 62.

I'm glad you found the 26" fork, I didn't think the 20" fork did the build justice.
I like the 26/20 layout you have now.

I found my fork, after getting the mongoose fabbed up.
5IoNVvq.jpg

My LUBS. My ADD nightmare!:crazy:
This is where I found Norbert.
4gldNdf.jpg

Speaking of AD, blue car, squirrel, oh, look what just came in..
uFhKSW4.jpg

I wound up buying this one. I had a rear wheel with the rim tapered like the stock front one. I put a new tube in the rear and took him for a spin today, 10/7. Not sure what I'm going to do with this Spaceliner. It's pretty cool "as is" though! :113:
V4jHzff.jpg

Anyway, I think this fork looks like it belongs on Norbert. It's lines are thinner and it's got a cool patina that matches the frame.
jDdJdBo.jpg

I've just got to do the steer tube magic, again! It's good practice, right?:headbang:
1xXmuR5.jpg

This rim is off of my Electra rust bucket find. It has a really cool patina, kind of copper color. I want to lace it up to that hub.
KCNDzLp.jpg

I found this 20"er today too. Not nearly as rusted but better than the alloy rim.
B1Nz5Qg.jpg

This shifter is off of that 20" mtn bike. It fit the tube perfect.
hUOJl7C.jpg

I make knives. This one I didn't make, but it gave me an idea for the shifter.
0IMYHnJ.jpg

Last edited:
When you mounted the dropout extensions, did you have to adjust them after installing the rear wheel?

When you mounted the dropout extensions, did you have to adjust them after installing the rear wheel?

No, again I Forest Gumped that. When I fabbed the plates I clamped them together and drilled my four pilot holes. Then I drilled them to size and as in the picture I bolted them together to grind to shape. I lucked out because the frame was true.
j0yS2tB.jpg

The key to consistency here is clamping the pieces together and drilling the pilot holes through both pieces first.

Last edited:
Had a fun Sunday fabbing up the fork and got enough air in the little tire to take it for a kick spin.

The 1 1/8" tube had a weird taper inside that limited the depth of insert of the 1".
i3aXmdE.jpg

EkOgaQ3.jpg

Mark of shoulder for race.
xP56ILK.jpg

1 1/4 copper. Hmmm, I see copper in Norberts future.
iRgW4LN.jpg

Distressing.
2O8rJUO.jpg

I hand filed the shoulder and set the copper and race with JB Weld.
NQVgcvJ.jpg

loz2jO4.jpg

XPWt4UW.jpg

Last edited:
Had a fun Sunday fabbing up the fork and got enough air in the little tire to take it for a kick spin.

The 1 1/8" tube had a weird taper inside that limited the depth of insert of the 1".
i3aXmdE.jpg

EkOgaQ3.jpg

Mark of shoulder for race.
xP56ILK.jpg

1 1/4 copper. Hmmm, I see copper in Norberts future.
iRgW4LN.jpg

Distressing.
2O8rJUO.jpg

I hand filed the shoulder and set the copper and race with JB Weld.
NQVgcvJ.jpg

loz2jO4.jpg

XPWt4UW.jpg

Being from the Philippines I envy you guys and your shop skills. All we learned from our shop class was how to weave baskets and make Capiz shell lampshades :(

Being from the Philippines I envy you guys and your shop skills. All we learned from our shop class was how to weave baskets and make Capiz shell lampshades :(

The best teacher is experience, Joe. The only skills I have were learned the hard way, mostly self taught, with a lot of trial and A LOT OF ERROR! The more ya do though, the better ya get. I recently got into knife making and youtube was a very valuable resource for me. It's amazing what some people are creating with very basic hand tools and a little imagination. I have much more respect for these guys and their work because of that! The fancy tools only make the process faster. And they lack the character of "hand made" ones.
clear.png

The best teacher is experience, Joe. The only skills I have were learned the hard way, mostly self taught, with a lot of trial and A LOT OF ERROR! The more ya do though, the better ya get. I recently got into knife making and youtube was a very valuable resource for me. It's amazing what some people are creating with very basic hand tools and a little imagination. I have much more respect for these guys and their work because of that! The fancy tools only make the process faster. And they lack the character of "hand made" ones.
clear.png

I totally agree, and I sure have learned a lot from you guys and with every new build. :thumbsup:

Mmmmmm kay, fork #4.... I did some horse trading for this one. I think the 24" tire keeps things a lil better in perspective and the radius matches that of the down tube. The rake on the fork almost perfectly matches the line of the seat tube. I will have to modify it quite a bit to make it fit and try to get the disc break fit also. The evolution of Norbert continues....
K3PwfDl.jpg

xiXEh5y.jpg

h3PQ1F7.jpg

I've been stuck on the fork, obviously. At some point, and I think it might be now, I'm going to have to commit to a fork and just make it work. Or else I won't "get er done". This build off thing is new to me. I see now that my frame choice wasn't ideal for a "muscle bike". It's still really unique and I am excited by that. I just want to make it a cool bike and build. It's a challenge and I am enjoying it! I admire the creativity and talent that I see here in the builds! You guy's rock! :praise:

Last edited:
Are you gonna use a banana seat and sissy bar ? If not I think some kind of struts would look good connected to the extended rear dropouts? I like your fork selection I think this one looks best. But don't let my thoughts affect your decisions everything is looking good and just make sure your having fun with it.

Are you gonna use a banana seat and sissy bar ? If not I think some kind of struts would look good connected to the extended rear dropouts? I like your fork selection I think this one looks best. But don't let my thoughts affect your decisions everything is looking good and just make sure your having fun with it.

Thanks Jamie.
Yes, I have a new nanner that I'm going to re-cover in leather. I have thoughts on a copper sissy bar and some other copper accents. I wanted a springer fork, but man those things are pricey and hard to find. The cheap repops just look like crap to me. I'm playing with the idea of a double sprung springer conversion of these forks. I've never seen anything like my idea out there and there may be a reason for that. I will post pictures of a simple mock up and try to get input to make sure I'm not gonna die!
clear.png
clear.png

Latest posts

Back