Bakfiet under construction

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been building for a few years now and my friends and i have regular group rides, but i don't often get to take my wife due to distance, pace, etc. so i decided i would build a something so i can carry her with me. The idea is a front steering trike with a 7 speed shaft drive. I got started this past Saturday and need to have it finished well ahead of the Build-off deadline for an event. Wish me luck!

Here is a link to tell you how to post pics... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48

Basically just grab the img code on each photo... No need to hit the Img button when inserting them though, it is taken care of by photobucket.

Luke.

Very cool concept. You might want to think through the steering though. From waht I can tell in that last photo, I don't think it wil turn. Google around and look at some of the cargo trike designs out there for ideas. My buddy builds some at http://www.haleytrikes.com for one.
I am looking forward to this one.
Good luck

Thanks Kingfish.
I still have some cutting to do, the fork tubes are too long to clear, but they are just a mock up. I appreciate the tips and your attention.

Hit my first snag. The 7 speed nexus i planned to use will not accept the spline for the shaft drive....
I may have to switch rear ends to a chain drive as the 7 speed is going to be a crucial component.

A conversation with a shaft drive mechanic out of NY and an $8 hub gear later and i am back in the game with the 7 speed rear. I made a little progress this weekend, but not as much as i'd like.

That's a super cool brace you have there.
M.A.V., I don't think it could hinge behing the seatube with that shaft drive.
I don't quite see where the pivot point will be up front either. It's gonna be fun watching the engineering unfold.

I understand you now. From other front three wheelers that I have seen the pivot needs to be more in line with the wheel axles to operate properly.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Kingfish is right on the axle/pivot position on other cargo trikes i have seen, but no one learns anything doing it the same as everyone else. I might be wrong, it might handle very poorly, but i won't know for certain until i get a little further along. Stay tuned!

thsi is going to be cool! my wife has been talking to me about something like this!

Troy

Wickedawesome333 said:
Thanks for the feedback folks. Kingfish is right on the axle/pivot position on other cargo trikes i have seen, but no one learns anything doing it the same as everyone else. I might be wrong, it might handle very poorly, but i won't know for certain until i get a little further along. Stay tuned!

I totally respect that and truly look forward to this build!!!!!
Super cool build!!

Made a little more progress this weekend. The hub sprocket showed up for the 7 speed, but i haven't gotten to install it yet. Frame is coming along nicely. The frame is together with the steering portion of the carriage and some gussets at the steer tube to complete.
The piece i am using for the gusset was a blade from a concrete saw. That diamond dust they put on the edge is tough stuff.

Latest posts

Back