Bar Fly - (Patina on the Apes)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bar Fly - (Frame, fork, tank mocked up)

I'm waiting patiently for my wheel parts to make an appearance. In the mean time, the mail man did bring a couple goodies the other day.

First is a Beast seat post from slowriderz. I put on a 1952 saddle from Barney, my barn find Phantom. Not sure if it will stay or not, but it gives me a good idea of what she will look like.

944284_10151611375064728_847344640_n.jpg

The postman also dropped off my shifter from Migz - not sure exactly where I will mount it yet...

922566_10151611375154728_1759801851_o.jpg

Hopefully UPS will drop off my hub, spokes and nipples soon, I want to get building!

justride said:
I like the old patina on the frame (60 years of dings, scratches, paint and rust), but part of me wants to strip it down and paint it matte black...

OH NO! Dont do it man! it looks waaaaaay too kool to now to paint it black! But its your bike. :D
Lookin Good

Very Nice!

Re: Bar Fly - (Wheels and Cranks)

Got a little work done this evening. I got some goodies today, in the form of a Nexus hub, spokes and nipples, so I got to building!

9e4e3aja.jpg

I went with a basic three cross, silver spokes, and a 24" Felt rim in back, with a 26" steel rim in front.

epemapeg.jpg

Building wheels is a bit therapeutic. I had them knocked out before my wife finished watching Real Housewives of wherever...

vasype7y.jpg

I also got some work done on the cranks. They are steel, cheep and shiny, and I wanted them to fit this build a bit better, so I roughed them up.

rutynaqe.jpg

Hit them with some etching primer, then painted them the same red as the wheels.

4ugadana.jpg

That's all for tonight. I'll hopefully get around to truing and tensioning the wheels tomorrow, then get them on the bike so I can start thinking about fenders.

Re: Bar Fly - (Mock Up with Wheels)

Great stance!

love the bike and the stretch look! with the name was kinda hoping for fold down late night auxiliary stabilizers ( training wheels :lol: :lol: )

Thanks guys! I love those wheels, and the 24 in the back, mated with the 26 in front just seems to fit the bike, and there should be plenty of clearance for a rear fender that I plan on throwing on there.

Training wheels may not be a bad idea! This is a barcycling ride, for sure. I'll be taking her downtown quite a bit over the summer - once she is done, that is. That reminds me - I need to find a headlight...

It is looking great!

where did you get the 24 inch tire?

Troy

That rear tire is a Cheng Shin. Went in to one of the older bike shops in town and asked about a 24" whitewall, and they had it hanging on the wall in back. $12.99, and it was mine, a perfect match to the one in front that I got at a flea market last year.

The 50mm Felt rim makes it look wider than it actually is.

justride said:
That rear tire is a Cheng Shin. Went in to one of the older bike shops in town and asked about a 24" whitewall, and they had it hanging on the wall in back. $12.99, and it was mine, a perfect match to the one in front that I got at a flea market last year.

The 50mm Felt rim makes it look wider than it actually is.
your a lucky man!

Re: Bar Fly - (chain guard stripped)

I got this stripped down last night. It will have to wait until Monday for the patina treatment. I like the wing look on this and the tank.

468038_10151622147219728_1867507996_o.jpg

I'm playing around with the rear fender. This is off my old Felt cruiser, with a nice little ducktail. I'm going to bob it to the duck tail will land just past the end of the frame. Once I do that, I'll strip and patina it as well.

941702_10151622147134728_970061653_n.jpg

Re: Bar Fly - (Fender and chain guard mockup)

With the travel over the weekend, I really didn't get anything done, but last night I did take the angle grinder to an old duck-tail fender, bobbing about 6 inches. Still need to strip it and rust it up. I had a smaller whitewall on there, but it just wasn't big enough to fill out the fender. I took this tire off The Bishop to test the size and fit - it works. I'll order one up in a white wall for the final build.

468849_10151632777219728_273743495_o.jpg

The chain guard will eventually get patina when I do the fender. It's a '50's era, in fantastic shape, and the feathers match the tank perfectly.

I'm not sure I am feeling the cranks. They were shiny, and that sucked, so I painted them, and they still kinda suck. I think I need to strip them, burn off the plating, and bury them in the back yard for a few years. Since that will take way too much time, I may look around for some beat up, rusty, men's cranks on Craigslist or on the forum...

Latest posts

Back