Baron Von Sweetness

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I’m going to jump into this build. About a year ago I found something beautiful sitting in the rafters of an antique/junk store in Omaha, Nebraska. Like a fish to a lure it was a beacon drawing my eyes to its frame. I first noticed the lines on this steel beast; specifically, I fell in love with how the seat stay came off of the seat tube, the art deco chain guard, the double barred top tube and of course how the rim/tire was swaddled in duct tape was pretty spectacular! The frame had years of age patina, a combination of grime and flaked paint that made me smile even more. I had to ask for a ladder in order to get a closer look. From here I noticed the head badge had plenty of potential, some genius many years before had spray painted the frame silver and this process covered the head badge. The badge read “Marshall-Wells Zenith,” I stepped off the ladder, spoke with the owner and asked what the price was. I was informed that each booth was owned by an individual and he thought it was for sale. I offered him a price of $35.00 to pass along to the owner. I was laughed at and informed that he would speak with the owner but doubted that would be enough. A week and $35.00 later…….it was mine.

IMG_0274.jpg

I locked him into my roof rack and went home. I wanted to know more about it, and I was surprised to find little to no information about “Zenith’s” online. I’ve read what I could find online and it
apparently was made by CCM (yeah the hockey company) for Marshall-Wells hardware stores. Based on the serial number it is apparently a 1922 Zenith (This is based on what little research I have
accomplished and if you have more info….sock it to me!!). When I started tearing into it I realized that the rear hub, rims, seat and chain were all garbage. Disassembled it down to the frame and there he sat for about a year. I had a vision and I slowly acquired parts over the year and a half….now it’s ready to come together. Let’s see where it takes me.

Just a side note: I have retained all spare parts of this bike as you all know one can’t just run out and find awesome old school parts like this, and I am a hoarder!

IMG_0275.jpg

Here are a few photos that I wanted to share with you....enjoy!!

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot my favorite picture.....any wagers on if it holds air or not?!?

IMG_0278.jpg

Welcome to the build off. Cool story and frame.
I love the pile of rust that came off the seat when you laid the bike down.

Man, if someone was building a ratty rat, that duct tape would be a cool idea to use.

(Hey Jake, your the duct tape guy. You should wrap a tire in some of the flame duct tape.)

Get to building!!!!!

Cool story and welcome to the Build Off! I think 1922 is i bit off. Its a tank/balloon tire bike.. 40s/50s would be my guess. I think that chain guard is what they call a "bull nose" (I think..) I could be talking out the side of my neck hear I don't know! Either way, its a cook start and you have exactly one month to get er done!!

Even though this is the first bike that I've built I may have seen a sign that could foretell the future......maybe?!

As I walked out of the shop today I saw this guy.....Classy all the way!

IMG_1223.jpg

Outside the box thinking is great, but I am not sure that I want to know how you are going to incorporate the bearded guys privates into your build.

I made some progress today; however, it's almost time to head off to work, so I will leave you all with this update. I managed to find a new set of rims since the ones i pulled off are not going to be reused. I found a set of 26" aluminum wheels complete with Shimano Nexus Inter-7 hub:) I wanted to make this a 7 or 8 speed so I can put some miles on it, and I loves me some gears! I dropped in my bottom bracket adapter, put the Origin 8 crank on, attached my springer fork, found a stem that I HATE....put that and the apes on and I dropped the brooks into place. Oh, I almost forgot that I found some awesome nasty used white wall Kenda's for the shoes. Below are the pictures of todays progress.

IMG_1217.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

Critter thanks for the help! I thought originally it was a late 30's.....then the whole serial number thing, but yes I agree I think it's 40's/50's. King....you always have to be on the look out for signs!!! Whether they come in the form of a bearded man or not ;)

Here is how he's sitting right now....

IMG_1222.jpg

Peatbog said:
That is looking sweet. I really like those bars and that crankset.

Thanks Peat! I did some work today and I'll put some more time in tomorrow....hopefully I'll get some updates for you. It blows my mind how the build looks once the wheels go on:)

This is going to be a fun one. What kind of shifter action do you have planned?

Latest posts

Back