~BBO 4 Idea~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
I am floating an idea that came to me as I sit doing the monotonous task of lacing wheels, cleaning original spokes and polishing nipples (ahh spoke nipples that is!) :oops: For the next Build Off how about we split things up into two groups - An HRBBO and a RRBBO - Hot Rod Biker Build-Off and a Traditional Rat Rod Biker Build-Off. Hot Rod would be for modifications to the frame, Shiny paint, and other non traditional types of parts. The Traditional Rat Rod part would be bikes with no modifications, original or rattle can satin or flat colors, and original period correct parts. This would give you a choice up front as to which direction you wanted your build to go and gives you some options as to the gathering of parts before the next one starts.

While I thouroughly agree that everyday is a BBO day - I think the official BBO gives us a deadline and forces us to try and plan a project i.e. we don't get lazy. PLUS it provides lots of good forum reading with progress pics and problems/solutions to everyones builds.

Let's hear your thoughts.

Respectfully, Joe

You could do it lots of different ways. One is to just specify a theme and everyone goes for it. So the bikes would tend to look more alike, but would still be a lot different from the norm.

yeshoney said:
I am floating an idea that came to me as I sit doing the monotonous task of lacing wheels, cleaning original spokes and polishing nipples (ahh spoke nipples that is!) :oops: For the next Build Off how about we split things up into two groups - An HRBBO and a RRBBO - Hot Rod Biker Build-Off and a Traditional Rat Rod Biker Build-Off. Hot Rod would be for modifications to the frame, Shiny paint, and other non traditional types of parts. The Traditional Rat Rod part would be bikes with no modifications, original or rattle can satin or flat colors, and original period correct parts. This would give you a choice up front as to which direction you wanted your build to go and gives you some options as to the gathering of parts before the next one starts.

While I thouroughly agree that everyday is a BBO day - I think the official BBO gives us a deadline and forces us to try and plan a project i.e. we don't get lazy. PLUS it provides lots of good forum reading with progress pics and problems/solutions to everyones builds.

Respectfully, Joe

I like this idea for BBO4! Then from there, we can vote for best HRBBO and RRBBO and then they can face off OR just have two winners!

I was thinking of a smaller time frame build off for October 1st to October 31 for a HALLOWEEN theme build off. NO prizes, NO voting, NO rules. Who cares who builds what. You can enter 1 bike or a bike per family member (those who will be trick or treating).
Here is a name "HALLOWweeee BBO!"
THis give those builders a little deadline and challenge to outdo themselves and fellow builders.

NOTE: STEVE: if you like this build off idea, I will help out as much as I can so there is alot of work on your part.

i think that in the vein of a 'traditional' rat bike, maybe a category could be a 'zero dollar' build-off. bikes built completely from bikes/parts aquired for free. entries could provide descriptions of where the bikes/parts came from. absolutely everything would have to be newly aquired and free...that way builders could even have fun being creative and making photo journals of how the parts were obtained....ahem...in completely LEGAL ways of course!! :mrgreen:

NOT allowed:

new paint of any kind
welding
money spent
parts from bikes purchased by the builder in the past
re-machining of any parts
haters

allowed:

parts cleaning supplies
grease
tools
free bicycles and bicycle parts
anti -seize / penetrant
tetnis shots
creativity
smooth jazz and billy ocean music

just a thought, fast eddie outty

yeshoney said:

Respectfully, Joe
eh kinda iffy because how about someone that doesnt really have all the original correct parts for it or the frame is a newer model and wants to make it a rat rod instead of a hot rod?Get what i'm saying? Why not just ban welding from the build off and have different catagories of bikes? or just keep the rules that we currently have and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chim,

For the TRRBBO the frame can be new and made to look old. I think what I was getting at was that if you were gonna build a TRRBBO bike it needed to use old parts otherwise it fits into the HRRBBO category. All of this is up for discussin and maybe from this discussion we can come up with a formula that will work for the masses. I thought of a few other things but I think the overall discussion/rules/categories need to remain simple and concise. I know everyone will agree on that! :mrgreen:

Joe

chimichanga said:
yeshoney said:

Respectfully, Joe
eh kinda iffy because how about someone that doesnt really have all the original correct parts for it or the frame is a newer model and wants to make it a rat rod instead of a hot rod?Get what i'm saying? Why not just ban welding from the build off and have different catagories of bikes? or just keep the rules that we currently have and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeshoney said:
Chim,

For the TRRBBO the frame can be new and made to look old. I think what I was getting at was that if you were gonna build a TRRBBO bike it needed to use old parts otherwise it fits into the HRRBBO category. All of this is up for discussin and maybe from this discussion we can come up with a formula that will work for the masses. I thought of a few other things but I think the overall discussion/rules/categories need to remain simple and concise. I know everyone will agree on that! :mrgreen:

Joe

chimichanga said:
yeshoney said:

Respectfully, Joe
what are your other ideas?

My little pea brain is still smoking from the current build off, what's a rat rod, we want posters, decals and t-shirts discussions. :lol:

I'm not too fond of this idea because of the way I view custom cars.

I've always seen "Traditional rods" the way it's grown from the 50's. I when I think of traditional I think of shiny paint, flame jobs, nice upholsty, chrome and tons of money dropped into it.

When I think Ratrod I think of home made parts (that sometimes require welding), primer, rust, crazy modifications, and things like mixing parts.

To me a Triditional build would be era accurate (i.e. only parts from the 50's from one manufacturer), any aftermarket parts would also have to be from that era.

To me a Rat build could be a modern frame with a a skiptooth sprocket, moped seat, and a gutted spray can for a head light.

I've always known rat, and being ratty. Scraps left over from other projects. More of an art peice trying to make the most of what you got. That's what I see as rat.

I think we should have a $0 buildoff. All scrap, no money spent except for tires and tubes. Bikes made from that heap you found in a ditch, or metal you had after building a fence, real junk.

That's my 2 cents.

schwinnmesa said:

I am absolutely HONORED to be a member of this "FAMILY"!..........To see all those bikes pop up one right after another, to one of my favorite songs, made me realize, that YES, like it or not, we are a FAMILY! ....Schinnmesa, Thank You!

Man I saw BBO and thought it was a BBQ... now I'm hungry. :wink:
The video thing on youtube was sweet. I was like "There's my bike!" while i watched it. :mrgreen:
I kinda like the idea of other build-offs... But at the same time, I think that it would be best to keep it simple. An anything goes class for all the metalsmiths out there who can build customized frames, and one with the same rules as the one we just had. Something I came to realize after posting immature comments(yes, I did. And I can admit it...) is that Rat Rod Build Off kinda refers to the name of the site. If we belonged to a forum called wickedsweetsuperawesomebikes.com, it would have been called the wicked sweet super awesome bike build off. I personally didn't think that rat rod build off meant that the bikes had to be a rat, but there were rules to keep the playing field fairly even, and you just had to go out and build the bike you wanted to. Anyways, as far as traditional rat class and hotrod class, I have to ask the question of why? Then there will just be more rules for people to complain about others not following, or that someone's bike didn't meet their version of a hotrod bike. The goal, I feel, isn't to make the ultimate rat bike, or hotrod bike, or chopper bike, but for each individual to make the ultimate bike for them at that point in time. I think that a full custom weld anything you want class would be really sweet, if only to see what some of these master metalworkers that I've seen out there could do. And while I agree that everyday is a buildoff, I think having an official buildoff helps spark creativity and makes sure I get my work done on time... Just my opinion.
Oh and my apologies to anyone I may have offended with comments about the last build-off... Fleetwood37 is the main person who comes to mind. I realize that your smack talkin was all infun, and some people like and even thrive off of that. And because I don't doesn't give me the right to put others down. And I'm sorry. I have mad respect for your ability to pay attention the restoration-type details(cuz I'm just a hack. I put bikes together and don't care about correct parts, as long as they work...), Keep up the good work everyone. :D

Well since it was my my idea having two different "classes" I can clearly see that, yes, this would create more rules, and more complications. Let's abandon that idea. I think Steve hit it on the head when he said that next time there should be no welding or modification to the original frame. OK, so playing within the rules as a few have done they fabricated these swesome forks as technically, that is not altering the frame. My point - the participants played within the rules and exploited that lack of clarification - but not all of us have the ways and means to fabricate. That brings us back to haveing two classes. One for modifications, One with no modifications to frame/fork. Call them what you will, but remember this site is not Chopperbicycle.net and we are not hardcore fabricators~for the most part. 8)

Joe

yeshoney said:
Call them what you will, but remember this site is not Chopperbicycle.net and we are not hardcore fabricators~for the most part. 8)

Joe

i always thought welding/cutting stuff up/sticking it back together/making things fit where there not surposed to fit/making do with what ya got-can get, was a huge part of rat rodding. isn't it?

Latest posts

Back