~BBO 4 Idea~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that all depends on your definition of Rat Rod :? :? :?

icyuod2 said:
yeshoney said:
Call them what you will, but remember this site is not Chopperbicycle.net and we are not hardcore fabricators~for the most part. 8)

Joe

i always thought welding/cutting stuff up/sticking it back together/making things fit where there not surposed to fit/making do with what ya got-can get, was a huge part of rat rodding. isn't it?

Another RRBO with the same rules would be fine.
But a build off with anything goes rules would be WILD. To see the creative concoction of all kinds of human powered vehicles that this group of builder can put together, would be cool. Rats, tall bikes, lowriders, trikes, quads, freaks, customs, restoreds, hot rods, choppers, anything and everything.The only rules are they must be human powered and be a current build shown only on RATRODBIKES.COM. This would/could introduce new ideas and methods that we could learn from, and expand our interest and knowledge of human power.
Just a thought. I just got back from Tour De Fat and they really push the zero carbon footprint idea, It must have had some effect on me. Yea, but I still like to burn rubber and go fast.
Dangerous Dan

I have a head ache now!
I'm just glad I don't have to sort this out.
all apologies accepted and my apologies extended to any I've upset. I had fun, and on the other sites I never smack talk. just thought it kinda went with the bike I built. look over at the cabe and you will see how my normal behavour is. just thought i could cut loose as some of the guys here were and thought most understood that. I am happy to help out with what I can on this site and offer any info I have when possible. it really is hard to judge between such varied styles of bikes and to decide what to build.
I tend toward full restores and the rat rod look was a stretch for me. maybe the fact that I like the bike should have been the first warning sign that it wouldn't do very well, but I came into the build realizing that i would have a hard time staying afloat let alone win. I'm not sure everyone yet realizes that I'm not upset by not doing so well, I really never figured I'd win. I wanted to draw people to the cabe and to show people from the cabe that there was another perspective. they made milions of bikes in the last hundred years there are enough to go around no matter how you want to do them. how many 32 roadsters are there out there customized? and yet there are still enough to restore and enough already restored.
Scott
icon_smile_banghead.gif

i think if you stand behind the original rules and just call it a "BIKE BUILD OFF", there would be less complaints/concerns.

37fleetwood said:
how many 32 roadsters are there out there customized? and yet there are still enough to restore and enough already restored.
theres more 32's on the road now than there was in 1932 :?
and you guys have fun on the 4th.....i have a head ache also so ill be watching from the sidelines

me too i am gonna sit back pop some pop corn and watch the paint and sparks fly. but since we are having this debate about classes i still like the idea of a traditional class with the original rules for those without access to a welder meaning no cutting of the frame. and then do an outlaw class where anything goes.

i think it should always stay as it been but we need to come to the realization of what has been created here.. a rat rod bike is not a rat rod car basically a rat rod bike is a custom bicycle with vintage stylings
over time this place has evolved into something of its own.... not bmx, not roadbikes, not musclebikes,not restored bikes and not choppers.... and ok chainsaw... not freakbikes :)
but rat rod bikes is about custom bikes with vintage stylings

lol shoot ive been doing free builds for a while now!! i agree with maddmatt about his perceptions on ratrods and traditional rats and all that jazz. i really enjoy the idea of a $00.00 BBO but i also like eddies idea of the nothing new everything old BBO. heck we could evern have a BBO that has a certain dollar amount limit and you have to have documentation of EVERYTHING you buy. theres a stockcar racetrack out by my house east of KC MO that has a class like that where EVERYTHING on the car has to be under $1000. it makes for some really exciting entertainment. maybe set the limit at like $100? maybe less, who knows!! but anyways, whatever happens, im definately gonna try to put a bike in it FO SHO! but id really like to see the $.00 BBO happen. i think it would be fun. thats just my 2 pennies worth

Easy E

I would like to see something that requires no welding considering I dont have a welder, lol. I just want to have a bbo4 before much gets underway on my bike, lol. I wanna join the next one.

I like the idea of $100 or $200 build. Most of my bikes are obtained free but I also still need to buy some things.

Hooch said:
i think it should always stay as it been but we need to come to the realization of what has been created here.. a rat rod bike is not a rat rod car basically a rat rod bike is a custom bicycle with vintage stylings
over time this place has evolved into something of its own.... not bmx, not roadbikes, not musclebikes,not restored bikes and not choppers.... and ok chainsaw... not freakbikes :)
but rat rod bikes is about custom bikes with vintage stylings

Amen! :wink:

Well, I am glad I started this thread. I get to see where people are at with their views about what a rat is and what they like/dislike about the BBO.

To those who are in favor of the $0.00 BBO I have this to say, there is no way you could ever prove this and so somone/anyone makes a peep and we have instant controversy. That's not what this site is about. I think we all act like adults should act (except Ricky and FD who are almost adults, LOL). Thats why this site continues to grow, no drama ~ just good clean/dirty fun building bikes! Thats why people tune in to the BBO.

I understand Hooch and his desire to have things remain the same, however, the reality is you need to change in order to grow. Every place/business/family has to change. Thats how they stay together. That is how they are successful. Thats what ends up making them happy. I know some may disagree and I welcome opinions to the contrary, but as you can see from the responses we already have two highly qualified builders deciding they will sit the next one out. Why? If this is so much fun and not stressful shouldn't there be no reason to sit a BBO out? Again, i am not trying to stir the pot. I am only trying to encourage conversation on how we can make it better while trying to maintain the purpose. If that ends up being we leave it the way it is, then I can play along with it too.

Peace!
Joe

i dont know why anyone else would sit them out but heres why for me......
i love the fact that im building with a great group of people and we get to see everyones ideas come to fruition(which is the best part :mrgreen: ) but to be completely honest the whole this is against the rules,thats not a,this is a,and then all the spats that evolve from it just bums me and it seems to be more and more prevalent(not everyone is like that but after seeing all the stuff with the last 2 build offs*kids and rrbbo3* it just sours me on the whole thing) and no its not the whole time i like the fact that everyone is supporting each other and helping out with ideas,parts, and such but as soon as voting gets mentioned :roll:
like i said before i like building with everyone when theres a build off... so if i have parts and an idea ill build along with you all in the build thread section......but as for myself i dont really care if anyone thinks its cool or lame im just going to build what i like anyhow :mrgreen:
just kinda seems like the fun is lost and thats not what i want out of this............
just want to see some cool bikes get built(just like everyone else here! after all isnt that why we come to this site :wink: )
i promise....im done now :roll:

the coolest rat rod car i've seen, was made in a weekend. it was an old model a body stuffed on a 1960's framed (chopped and z'ed) with an old 50's motor. that was it, then it hit the road.

to me, thats rat rodding.
i chop bicycles, but i chop stricktly old bicycles. i do my best to emphisize vintage stylings. i'm not gonna change my style just to fit the mold, so i don't get to play. i don't feel my bikes are any less ratty than the next, they just don't follow the build off rules.
theres no rules when it come to building a rat. if you can dream it, build it. rules are made to be broken. if were all starting with old frames, whats the problem?

the "i don't have a welder, this isn't fair" just don't fly with me.
what about the peeps that cant find vintage frames in thier area. some of you seem to come across old bikes like there sold at every corner store. others have a much harder time finding donor bikes. of course others seem to pay rediculous prices for that perfect old bicycle sold on ebay. while i don't have a huge wallet, i do have access to a welder.
i don't have a western flyer, should we exclude those?
i dont have an old huffy, maybe we should exclude those also. i don't think they were even marketed in canada.
if its all about being fair, then we should all start with the same frame, same parts, same build buget.
but that just wouldn't be rat rodding.

ya make do with what ya got.

guess my point is this. rat rodding means different things to different peeps. why not an open class and let the members vote on what they like best? couldn't hurt anything.
take what i say with a grain of salt. i'm not out to hurt anybody's feeling, and i love hanging out here checking out sweet rides. i don't care either way, i'll keep coming back.
however that being said, i've always thought the forum missed the true sense of rat rodding for the most part. restoring a vintage ride imo isn't rat rodding its bicycle collecting or hot rodding, and riding a rusty bike, just cause its rusty? well thats just dirty. :)

late 70's girls rapido chain guard,forks and frame. slamed to the ground, stretched out with an old 1940's seat. quick coat of flat black (without removing the old paint) new wheels,bars,pedals,chains and fenders. 1800's deringer and lets not forget an old 1960's skateboard wheel. i imagen alot of you would call it a burrito. but its always gonna be my rat rod. :)
IMG_1150.jpg

Rat Rod said:
My little pea brain is still smoking from the current build off, what's a rat rod, we want posters, decals and t-shirts discussions. :lol:
So how about getting ahold of Discovery Channel and we could get paid to build bikes...... :lol: really, I'm just kidding :wink:

Ha Ha...yeah, trust me, the thought has crossed my mind.

I'd have to have a stunt double though if I were the host...I'm too clean cut and have no tattoos.

Hooch can be my stand in. :lol:

Cool thread. So, here's my opinion. I entered my Salt Flyer in the BBO3. I wanted an old beach cruiser. I picked the bike up for like $80 here in Utah. I found this site and the cool original customized bikes. I took some of these ideas and made my bike cooler and more enjoyable to ride. I've changed it multiple times. I'm now on the lookout for bike #2. I want to have one to ride and one to customize/rat/rod up.
Here's my 2 cents on a rat rod bike, since that's the name of the site. Being new, I'm not totally savvy on the original purpose. But, like was just mentioned, the term "Rat Rod" really depends on the person. Sure, we can recognize a Rat Rod car at a car show. I believe rat rod bikes have a similar concept. You can recognize a rat rod bike because its not a brand new Electra cruiser that cost $600. A rat rod bike is somehow different. Sometimes really different and you're struck by the engineering and craftsmanship involved as you walk around the bike and see all the tweaks. Other rat rods have a quickie flat paint, big white walls, handle bars that make you go, "what bike are those from?" when you realize they're cut and flipped. I agree that the term rat rod is flexible. From it other styles will originate. Look at the car hot rod scene. Rat rods, hot rods, customs, street rod, pro street, pro-touring, lowrider, road racer, restomod, and on and on. The bike scene is similar. Its the same type of people in that we like to have an original bike we can call our own, we designed it, we built it, painted it, and enjoy showing it and riding it. So, that's my thoughts on the matter. I think we should still do BBO's, but I think they were better when they're spaced like 4 months apart. I personally think that this site should be about the builds, not always about the build offs.
Chris "hechtrod" Hecht

yeshoney said:
I am floating an idea that came to me as I sit doing the monotonous task of lacing wheels, cleaning original spokes and polishing nipples (ahh spoke nipples that is!) :oops: For the next Build Off how about we split things up into two groups - An HRBBO and a RRBBO - Hot Rod Biker Build-Off and a Traditional Rat Rod Biker Build-Off. Hot Rod would be for modifications to the frame, Shiny paint, and other non traditional types of parts. The Traditional Rat Rod part would be bikes with no modifications, original or rattle can satin or flat colors, and original period correct parts. This would give you a choice up front as to which direction you wanted your build to go and gives you some options as to the gathering of parts before the next one starts.

While I thouroughly agree that everyday is a BBO day - I think the official BBO gives us a deadline and forces us to try and plan a project i.e. we don't get lazy. PLUS it provides lots of good forum reading with progress pics and problems/solutions to everyones builds.

Let's hear your thoughts.

Respectfully, Joe
Only flat or satin paint? That's silly.

If you want two categories , make them these: modified and unmodified.
Modified means anything goes, unmodified means no frame or fork work.
People vote for what they want to vote for, if you really want to win, build what you think people vote for.

Latest posts

Back