Bck in Blck

Discussion in 'CLASS 1 - MUSCLE BIKE 2019 BUILD JOURNALS' started by ClarenceB, Jan 12, 2020.

1. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

There are 20 days to go according to the timer and I think I can swing it, as long as my health plays along. I am not sure if that is actually feasible once i get into the meat and potatoes. I am also not sure if this is too late of a start per group rules although 20 days isn't 'last minute'.

Class 1 as per usual MBBO: The 2 out 3 rule: Must meet at least 2 of the following 3 options:

1: Rear tire larger than the front. (Wider or taller or both.)
    2: Banana seat.
    3: Muscle bike appropriate bars. (Apehangers, steering wheels...)

I have an Electra Sparker that basically fulfills the requirements except that it's original from the manufacturer and therefore already finished. I plan on updating the fork, install some wide rear rim, install a new skull stem, powder everything. Should be do-able in the time frame and if I don't make it, I'll still eventually created my own Sparker.

sparker 2.jpg
    finish timer.jpg

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Good luck with your build!
    Tick tock tick tock...

3. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

Today I took the bike apart. I took the fork out and realized how flimsy the original headsets are. I can't use that headset for the springer or better, I don't want to. I also took both wheels out and disassembled them completely into their parts. I prepped the skull stem, the springer fork, the ape hanger and the wheel parts for powder coating. I am going with a 65mm rear rim, which should work according to the combined wisdom of this community. I am also going to attempt to match the powder-coating color to the OG Sparker color. Last but not least, I purchased a bunch of parts such as black spoke nipples, a black shifter bell (back in black chopper), a longer shifter cable and a new headset. I guess disassembling is the easy part but prepping for powder isn't.......!
    008.JPG 032.JPG 040.JPG 042.JPG 044.JPG 046.JPG 50.JPG powder ready.jpg

4. RustyGold

RustyGold

Nice parts pile :thumbsup: ... get'r done! :grin:

5. OddJob

OddJob

RaT oN~!

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Ziploc bags, notes, tidy piles... Is everyone that much more organized than me? Half my project is on my office desk, parts of it are in the workshop, some is in the garage... Think I saw a BB in my underwear drawer:blush:

Starnger, Jude Ephesus and RustyGold like this.
  7. sandman

sandman

Now that's funny , .....wait one minute are you copying me ?

RustyGold likes this.
  8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Only what I saw in your underwear drawero_O

OddJob and RustyGold like this.
  9. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

Look, tight schedules require a level of precision that is otherwise not necessary. All the powdercoaters I know are fairly large industrial operations and they have customer parts laying around everywhere, which leads to missing parts or wrong colors. By studying their process, I figured I could help them (and myself) by making it hard to screw up. Let's see how that goes.

What's a BB? Double B?

Dr. Tankenstein likes this.
  10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Sorry, Clarence I forgot you are new. Not used to the Matti brand of humor. I wasn't criticising, just amazed that people are organized. My shop is like an archeological dig. If I wanna find something, I'm gotta remember when I had it last, then figure out how many layers of "sediment" are on top of it.
    BB is short for bottom bracket. Bottom, like what goes in your underwear. Hence the underwear drawer. I find that the best jokes, aren't just the ones you have to explain, but the ones that you have to explain are jokes before you explain why they're funny.
    Keep on ratting

Jude Ephesus likes this.
  11. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

Gotcha Matti! I got your joke (believe it or not I've been following for quite some time / participated in a build off before) and didn't see any form of criticism at all. I just attempted to play along with the 'Double B' / 'Double D' analogy - hence underwear.......I'll work on that!

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Hey man, you've been here 9 days less than me. That means you are new. I said so.:p

13. deorman

deorman

Cracked buckets and torn boxes. Fair chance what I'm looking for will be at the bottom of the back stack. :crazy:

sandman, RustyGold and MattiThundrrr like this.
  14. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

I would not even know how to find that out so you are clearly more senior!

15. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Click on a poster's name, and you get all kinds of info

16. OddJob

OddJob

That's "poster"; no im-posters here. We're all the real deal. Real ratty, that is~! :21:

Okay, that joke stream went pretty far before I even jumped in and made a splash. I must be losing my touche'.

17. Jude Ephesus

Jude Ephesus

I’m right beside u matti!!

MattiThundrrr likes this.
  18. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

Got the powder items back. Even with all the prep. You win some and you lose some. The rear hub was well done, not one spoke hole was closed. No powder on the inside of the hub! Amazing work!

The ape hanger and the rim were somewhat perfect. The fork.....well see for yourself.

ape hanger 1.JPG ape hanger.JPG rear hub.JPG rim 1.JPG rim 2.JPG rim 3.JPG springer 2 (2).JPG
    Do you spot the issue?

kingfish254 likes this.
  19. ClarenceB

ClarenceB

While I am going to build the rear wheel, the fork will have to be re-done. Not what I needed in that time frame.

countdown timer.jpg

RustyGold likes this.
  20. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

Keep building. We'll be following, regardless of the deadline.