Beast Hub Driver Failure

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe that is why other countries(Europe and the AU) require a front brake. I predict you all will be receiving front brakes courtesy of Walmart. :mrgreen:

I don't think I'll ever pedal this bike hard enough to break anything, but I guess you never know.

I can definitely see a recall over this though...would be funny if I brought mine back in. :lol:

Rat Rod said:
I don't think I'll ever pedal this bike hard enough to break anything, but I guess you never know.

+1

Here's how the conversation would go...

Yeah, I need to bring this in for the recall. I threw the stock seat post away and I sold the stock tires at a swap meet last weekend. I had originally sticker bombed it, but when I got the white lined tires I felt it needed a more simple look so I sanded it down some and gave it 3 coats of Rustoleum primer. I felt it needed a little something more so I had it pinstriped and added these subtle black decals. BTW...I need to keep the seat, seat post, pedals, handlebars, grips, and tires...any questions?

:lol:

cashman said:
Can't imagine using a weld to join two hardened pieces together???

I was thinking the same thing...the old super wide hub obviously posed an engineering issue. :lol:

Will be super cool if they give us another rear wheel with a better hub. I wouldn't
mine having another 100mm rim. I would probably have a problem since mine are
polished . They probably want the old one back. OUCH!

does painting the FRAME void the warranty on the HUB? i hope they come up with a great solution. i don't expect a front brake, though.

Maybe they will replace all of the rear hubs with SA 3 speeds from Choppersus! :p

All you guys better Craigslist them immediatly before your injured......hehehehehehe

Forgive me if this is a silly question but is this an issue with forward power, or with skidding? Seems strange to me that a person would generate enough power on the pedals to break the axle.

kingfish254 said:
Maybe they will replace all of the rear hubs with SA 3 speeds from Choppersus! :p
oh please oh please oh please!

Gravelo, it was from pedaling. Braking, the most weight a person will put on the pedal would be full body weight. Pedaling, you leverage the bars and apply more than body weight to the pedals. Also, when braking, this piece is under compression, while when pedaling it is under tension.

Uncle Stretch said:
I don't think there is a real problem. They said they would fix anything that broke.

1-800-626-2811 or [email protected]
Looks like they send another bike and then you send yours back.
That could be a problem for those of us doing mods to the bike. I guess they would get the one they sent back with the broken parts.

When and if I buy one that coaster hub would be the first thing to go anyway. I'd lace in a new hub with gears and either a drum or disk brake.

Though the hub driver problem probably comes in to play when kids are trying to lock up the brakes and skid rather than just slowing the bike gently. (We all did that as a kid) With the size of those tires there is a lot of rolling force to try to lock up and stop hence the part failure. I'd think that under NORMAL conditions it shouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts

Back