Beer Boy Delivery... Final product on Finished thread! ...while I've been waiting....this:

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool stuff, I had a friend years ago from Minneapolis. She loved the area,I imagine she's still there.

Cool stuff, I had a friend years ago from Minneapolis. She loved the area,I imagine she's still there.
Come visit! And bring a bike, we'll do a ride around the lakes in Mpls or along the river in St Paul...

Come visit! And bring a bike, we'll do a ride around the lakes in Mpls or along the river in St Paul...
Tell you what,you might have a deal there. I plan on taking next summer off work and school to travel and will definitely have a bike with me. Not Artemus though,it's a little to big and heavy:showingbiceps:

Nice looking stable my friend, looks like there's room for a LOT more! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Don't I wish. I'm starting to lean towards a build on to our garden shed in the "back 40" so I can continue with more rat rod bike projects. Either that, or completely reconfigure the roof support of my garage so I can build a display shelf up above my workbench to park the bikes when not in use. My wife actually suggested the latter, so I got that goin' for me, which is nice~

For you out-of-towners and those abroad, here is a little history behind that big bottle cap in the sky on Nicollet Island in Minneapolis, part of my inspiration for the Beer Boy Delivery bike....

Arguably the most beloved, most mysterious, and most written about sign in Minneapolis, the Grain Belt Beer sign on Nicollet Island, has a rich history. It is name checked by the nationally-recognized band The Hold Steady in their song “Party Pit,” and is likely the only sign in Minneapolis that has aTwitter and Foursquare account.

What a sight!
1960.jpg

1960, View from Hennepin Avenue Bridge, Source: City of Minneapolis

Built in 1941 for $5,000, the Grain Belt Beer bottle cap sign is one of the largest freestanding neon signs in the region. The sign is approximately 50 feet wide and 40 feet tall.

According to the Schell’s Brewing website, the sign’s bottle cap design with a red diamond background dates back to 1938, reflecting the company’s dominance of package beer sales. Even when it is not lit, the porcelain-faced sign is a striking addition to the river landscape, displaying the beer’s signature color combination of red, yellow, and black. The “M” inside a circle above “Grain Belt Beer” is the logo for the original brewing company, Minneapolis Brewing.

When lit, the sign elicits glowing accolades. Former Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commissioner Tom Hollman stated, “It just doesn’t flash at you; it presents a show.” 1,400 incandescent light bulbs spell out the beer’s name one letter at a time—G-R-A-I-N B-E-L-T—followed shortly after by a flashing “BEER.” According to the sign contractor that completed the 1989 restoration work, the lighting sequence after the restoration may have varied from the original sequence. The sign also displays more than 800 feet of exposed neon. The bottle cap and the diamond are lined with red neon, while the Minneapolis Brewing Company’s “M” circular logo and border are outlined in green.

BBD turned into work truck today, hauling drill box, door parts, and lunch box to the music store for my shift. Still riding "smooth as the beer she delivers"....
That's a work horse clydesdales didn't just haul the beer wagon !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever since I saw this build, every time I go to the liquor store I think of how nice it would be to have a BBD bike..

I hauled an on sale case of beer home on my muscle bike a mile or so a few months back, that was a treat. Had it half hanging out my messenger bag, and balanced behind me on the banana seat. Got it home in one piece, since then, I only stop there if im in the car because they usually have good beer on sale.

Seems I may need to build a shelf for beer at some point in the future. ;-)

Ever since I saw this build, every time I go to the liquor store I think of how nice it would be to have a BBD bike..

I hauled an on sale case of beer home on my muscle bike a mile or so a few months back, that was a treat. Had it half hanging out my messenger bag, and balanced behind me on the banana seat. Got it home in one piece, since then, I only stop there if im in the car because they usually have good beer on sale.

Seems I may need to build a shelf for beer at some point in the future. ;-)
...or, build yourself a second bike....;)

Two of my favorites....Grain Belt and Park Tool, both Minnesota born and raised. My neighbor Art Engstrom was one of the two founding fathers of Park Tool in 1963. It was started because his bike shop partner and he could not find the tools to "repair the increasingly complex bicycles of the 1960's"..... Art stops by my garage when he sees the light on from time to time to see what I'm up to and talk about bikes. Here's to you Art!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Tool

Last edited:
Just so you guys don't think I've been sitting around twiddling my thumbs since mid-June....I picked up this old Huffman Hiawatha and transformed it from classic cruiser to late 70's / early 80's klunker. I call her..."Desert Sky"....
Sorry Luke, my ADHD and OCD made me build it ASAP! :wink1: Couldn't wait for the winter BO with all the fervor and building that was going on here the past couple weeks!
What I started with:

The final product finished up this morning:

Thanks slowriderz for the seatpost, and kingfish254 and Dr. Tankenstein for the buying advice! Ride on!

Came out nice! looks like a great test run for the WBO! :wink1: :bigsmile:

Luke.
Ha ha! Yeah, I really enjoyed doing this. Wanted to see if I could make something "pretty"; instead of "pretty rusty"! I do love the klunker style...knobbies, simple single drive train, wide motocross bars....

When your'e on a roll...wife was at golf tonight...4 hours all to myself. Worked on Dr. Tankenstein ( "It's Tonkensteen") recommendation, the steering stabilizer. One purchased spring, a left over conduit hanger from the front rack, and some door latch parts later...this:

I'm gonna borrow this idea Lee.

Latest posts

Back