Bendix 2 Speed Hub On Schwinn S-2 Rim?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about mounting a Bendix red band 2 Speed Hub on a Schwinn S-2 Rim. Has any Member done this before? What spoke length will I need?
I tried using many Spoke Length Calculators on the web but I get different results from 261mm to 268mm for a Cross 3 Pattern. Any help appreciated. Larry G

Try mine, hasnt failed me yet!
http://spokelength.com/
And it somehow seems much easier to use than others I have tried. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!! 8)

Slick Rick; thanks for sharing your spoke calculator. Yes, it is way easier to use then all the others.
I get the following using the ERD of 549mm, Hub Flange Dia of, 78mm, and Hub Flange Spacing of 56mm for a total of 257.5 spoke length.
Can anyone else confirm my ERD/effective rim diameter of 549 for a Schwinn S-2 Rim. Thanks in advance. Larry G.

CCR is correct about Memory Lane Classics, they are a good resource for Schwinn specific spokes.Your sizing is probably correct, I dont remember the ERD on my S-2's but I do seem to remember a 262 mm spoke size. This was using a regular coaster brake hub and the Bendix autos have a higher flange, so it sounds about right. If you have a lil protrusion, a dremel w/grinding wheel fills the bill nicely. :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!! 8)

If I remember right, it takes 10 1/4" spokes to lace a kickback to an S2. You have a bigger problem, though. How are you going to use the sweetheart skiptooth Panther chainring with the kickback hub? :shock: I converted a kickback to skiptooth by removing the pressed on cog from the drive screw and pressing on a New Departure skiptooth cog that I turned to the correct size in a lathe. Brazed it and it works fine. Gary

Did some more research and found out from images on E-bay that the Bendix kick-back hub used on the factory Schwinn S-7 Rims
were laced-up using a Cross 4 method. Most Wheelbuilding links say a cross 3 is better for Large Flange Hubs?

I had some very cool Local Bike Shops in my area which now have closed there doors in the last several years. Seems it is hard to get
small loans from banks to purchase new bikes and or parts to sell. I will need to travel over 40 mikes to a shop that can help.

I was planning to run a Number 80 Chain and Turn the Sweet Heart Chainring to fit the narrower chain. I have seen this done in the past
with good results. Number 80 Chain is easy to find on the web and normaly comes in 10 foot lengths. Enough for 2 bikes.
Only concern is chainring tooth life and strenth on a setup like this. Number 80 Chain would be stronger then my very old skip tooth chains.

I like the idea of installing a Skip-Tooth Sprocket on my Bendix kick-back hub, I have access to a lathe and can have someone locally braze it on for me.

Another concern is Chainguard Clearance when using a Kickback Type Hub. Chainline might also come into play? Larry G

I've never spoked a kickback into an 26" S-2, but have spoked a couple of multispeeds into an S-2. It got me to wondering if the kickback and the multispeed had the same spoke hole diameter? And they do at approx. 3" and 1/8" on center. I used 10" and 19/32" spokes (269mm) with a cross four pattern. I used the same length spokes to lace a fourwheel brake into an S-2 also. Thanks!!!

Update; in an eariler message I mentioned that some people were using a #80 chain on a bike running a 1/2 inch pitch rear cog and a 1 inch ptch skiptooth chainring. I did some more research and found out that the # 80 chain is the wrong size, I got bad/wrong info at the bike show.

Using the link below, you can see the #40 chain is much closer to working. Using my digital calipers I get .301 roller dia. on a 1/2 pitch bike chain and .315 for a skiptooth chain. Both chains were used. http://www.alliedlocke.com/images/pdf/Catalog%205pdf

At the same bike show the person that did the conversion also claimed you had to do some grinding to the skiptooth chainring teeth to make it mate properly. Still seems the rear cog will be a little too thin for the #40 chain but this might not make too much of an issue for slow turning setup??
I got on old worn skiptooth chainring that will make a good candidate for this conversion. Larry G

Back