Best Place to Buy Tubing?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay let's say I have a frame and I want to stretch it or add a tube. Is there a CHEAP place to buy suitable steel tubing for this sort of stuff?

Okay let's say I have a frame and I want to stretch it or add a tube. Is there a CHEAP place to buy suitable steel tubing for this sort of stuff?
I cut up old frames and save the parts. I have even made 2 frames with old bike tubing and used a ghetto welder (several pieces of Romx home wiring spliced together attached to two car batteries with Vice Grips). I have 2 Miller Welders but still use my ghetto rig if I have to weld where there is no juice.

Last edited:
When I did gender reassignment/stretch surgery on my girl's CWC frame, I got nearly all of the tubing I needed from a Schwinn exerciser. Those things are chock full of good parts.

Dang, I pass those up for free left and right. I'm going to slap myself now, and get back on track. Thanks for the tip. In the OP I was referring to new tubing stock, but now I see that there's a lot of options.

When I was building frames, I bought from a steel company in Houston.
They would sell you a 21' piece of 1 1/2'' od for about $15 and cut
it in half for free. If you practice you could get two frames out of
21'. I used 16 gauge unless I was eating my wheties and would
use 12ga. It makes for a heavy frame but bullet proof.

Latest posts

Back