better late than never

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought this frame and forks, I know I don't have much time to finish it for the buildoff so it's gonna be cheap, fast and simple and by the rules. I'm digging thru some old parts now to see what I can come up with. I just can't sit back and watch everyone else building and having fun with thier bikes and not join in the fun of building. By the way, from what I'm seeing you're all doing a great job, there are some beautiful bikes again this year, mine won't be near as nice but it will be rideable. See ya at the finish line...
100_2187.jpg

I think it is awesome that you are joining the fun!!!!
Love the frame and forks. Great beginning!
Start your engines and Gitchazz Buildin Cuz Time's a Wastin!!!!!!!
Welcome aboard!!!

Found some wheels I want to use. Front one was in nice shape and true, all I'm going to do is put some paint on the rim. I decided on black texture metalic.
100_2178.jpg

Back wheel is not going to be so easy, I going to use a 3 speed hub with coaster brake and try to lace it to an S2 rim and I've never laced a wheel before. I took the skip tooth hub off the S2 rim. I bought some spokes and nipples from Denny at Eastside Bikes that should make this project fairly simple. I am painting the back wheel before I lace it.
100_2164.jpg
100_2167.jpg

Good luck with the lacing dude!!!

thanks for the video, it will really help for the next one I do. I put this one together and apart 3 times and I think I got it right now. I'm sure that all of you that have done it before know it's not as easy as it looks. I had my hub off center one time, the spokes in the wrong hole so I thought they were too long, and still not sure about the trueing part. I got it spinning straight but it rolls a little oblong, I think there are some flat spots on the rim. I don't know how tight to tighten the spokes but I got them to ring when you pluck them. I don't know if painting the rim before I laced it was a good idea cuz I got a few nicks and scratches in that rattle can paint job. I quess I won't know till I take it for the first ride. If it holds up I quess I did all right. I decided to go with a Jerald cheater slick on the back. I've also noticed how several others have decided to use this tire this time. I don't know how it will ride but we'll see soon.

well got done with the wheels and tires are mounted.so i painted the front forks the same color as the rims. I have a idea for my paint job that i'm going to try on a head light that going on the bike and if i like it i will do the frame the same way
100_2174.jpg
url]

I started out by brushing on the gold hammer paint
100_2177.jpg
100_2181.jpg

then I spray the blue metallic paint on and then wet sand it till I had some of the gold paint come through the blue
100_2184.jpg

next came the red metallic and some more wet sanding
100_2188.jpg
100_2189.jpg
well I'm running out of time and still have lot to do so I'm going with the paint idea on the frame without stripping the paint off it, just sand it so the paint will stick

Well been working like crazy trying to get this bike completed. Loaned out my camera to my granddaughter and of course it doesn't come back to me when I need it to document the last assembly with photos. I painted the frame the same way I painted the headlight, and also reversed the head tube so it raked the front forks more. I finally got the bike all back together, Nothing fancy but it's ridable. Maybe next year I can get started earlier and get more creative. Thanks for letting me be part of the build-off, here are some pictures of the finished product. Hats off to all you builders there are some fantastic looking bikes out there. Thanks again
100_2212.jpg
100_2213.jpg
100_2208.jpg
100_2211.jpg
100_2210.jpg

Super nice bike man!!
Love the big little tires!
Give us a close up of that frame paint.
That light looks awesome with the seat!!
BRAVO!!!

Latest posts

Back