Bicycle ministry

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Today I went ATV shopping to replace my old blown up unit. I drove 200 miles and visited a bunch of dealers for quotes. In route I came across a rural house with a burned out attached garage that had a an 8 x 10 hand painted billboard out front that said bicycle ministry. The old house was the shop. I had to stop, bicycles were everywhere and several enthusiasts were hanging out. A young guy was the operator and his vision was to collect free bikes, have disabled vets work on them, flip those he couldn’t use and give bicycles to the homeless and poor people. I bought a pristine old Huffy Cranbrook for the parts. It was of a much higher quality than the past 7 years, alloy wheels, true rims and interesting stamped details on the fenders and chain guard. It even has nice grips. I paid $50, and I didn’t argue as it had perfect parts. Wheels and tires cost more. On parting he said the bike was worth $65 so he asked me to donate $15 to a collection plate, homeless person or charity of my choice. I liked it, no spiritual push, just do good. I now know what to do with my excess bikes, even though it is 85 miles away one way. I’ll save a load and make a trip. Good and very different vibes.

It sounds like a cool place. Good people are still out there, they just don't make the news. Thanks for sharing
It was a dump, old bike parts out back and on a shed roof, bike junk in the burned out garage with a caved in roof. lax officials or his mission are probably the only reasons it’s not condemned. Nice friendly vibes. I wonder if he is a minister? A friend of mine got ordained on line and had a ministry until his death. Could the burned out house be his church? Can’t judge a book by its cover. I didn’t have a phone for a picture. The only cell service up here is in villages, so why bother taking a phone. When I go back to pick up my new ATV I’ll snap a photo. He said he also has a few underprivileged kids to help out. I had an old 1970s ten speed bike in my truck bed that I donated and he gushed over it as everything was tuned and true with working cables. He looked up the bike on line and read me its history. He normally doesn’t mess with old Japanese or European bicycles as new tires cost more than he can flip them for and kids don’t want them. My donor had good tires.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back