Bicycle Radios

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the extreme opposite end of the spectrum, I just ordered one of these:
PhotoGrid_1588103603590.jpg

I was on a group ride at the end of last summer where a guy had one of these tied to his bars. I was amazed at how good it sounded. And now I had to use a $40 gift card so hey why not.

In the late 1950s I built a crystal set for my bike. I used a small aluminum coil shield box from a radio in the dump to build it in. I found a miniature slug tuned coil, with a tuning knob, for a crystal set in one of my electinic catalogues. I also ordered a germanium diode and a flesh colored ear piece. I used no capacitor. I put an alligator clip on the antenna connection and clipped that to my Hawthorn bike basket. I used no ground. I could tune the coil to two different stations. It was smaller than four packs of old style gum. I don’t know why it worked without a ground as my readings tell me that a ground is necessary. I want to make another one but I can’t find the right ferric core slug tuned coil.

In the late 1950s I built a crystal set for my bike. I used a small aluminum coil shield box from a radio in the dump to build it in. I found a miniature slug tuned coil, with a tuning knob, for a crystal set in one of my electinic catalogues.
Of course you did. Awesome!

Of course you did. Awesome!

I’m still looking for that coil but it looks like it is no longer made and I haven’t found a used one. You can buy ferric slugs and I’m thinking about winding my own. I don’t know the number of turns on the coil or the length of the slug Inside the coil tube. It would be easy to fix a nut to the end of the coil and use a bolt or small threaded rod attached to the slug to get the rod to move for tuning. With this design you don’t need a capacitor for tuning. In the eighth grade I had a 45 rpm turntable but no amp. I built a one transistor transmitter and put a table top tube radio next to the turntable/transmitter combo and could play my records through the radio. It was such a weak transmitter that it wouldn’t transmit outside my room so there was no interference with the kitchen radio.

Latest posts

Back