Bicycle trailer help?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s basically just slapped together, I used wood from my scrap pile. Like a lot of stuff I make, it ain’t pretty, but it’s solid. I think I’m going to bail on the modular idea, and make it just to fit my kayak. It should save a few pounds. It should cut down on rolling resistance quite a bit compared to my pvc cart. It should also be able to store it in the back of the yak under my bike when in aquatic transit.
68AB3FEA-3649-4806-BAEE-C6098DAD322F.jpeg

This is the third kayak cart I've made. First one wasn't solid enough or versatile to work with my wood ones, the second used straps and wouldn't stay straight as the kayaks just sat on top of it so that any torque on the boat rotated it on top of the cart and collapsing/reassembling it took too much time. Since this thing will probably weigh about 90 lbs with all the electric stuff and remote motor retractor, I was sufficiently motivated to finally design one that I think is a winner. I towed it around the driveway and lawn with the bike and it works well. It's held by bungee stretched around the coaming and over the deck and it's all collapsible so that it fits in the compartments of any of the kayaks. The lawn mower wheels are held to the 5/16" or 1/2" axle (I forget which) with lynch pins, the trailing vertical mounts are secured with hitch pins so that they can be removed, and the horizontals are just held by the weight of the boat.

IMG_8215.jpg

IMG_8216.jpg

IMG_8217.jpg

This is the third kayak cart I've made. First one wasn't solid enough or versatile to work with my wood ones, the second used straps and wouldn't stay straight as the kayaks just sat on top of it so that any torque on the boat rotated it on top of the cart and collapsing/reassembling it took too much time. Since this thing will probably weigh about 90 lbs with all the electric stuff and remote motor retractor, I was sufficiently motivated to finally design one that I think is a winner. I towed it around the driveway and lawn with the bike and it works well. It's held by bungee stretched around the coaming and over the deck and it's all collapsible so that it fits in the compartments of any of the kayaks. The lawn mower wheels are held to the 5/16" or 1/2" axle (I forget which) with lynch pins, the trailing vertical mounts are secured with hitch pins so that they can be removed, and the horizontals are just held by the weight of the boat.

View attachment 152650

View attachment 152651

View attachment 152652
I dig it! It looks a lot better than my pvc cart. Your yak looks like it RIPS!

I dig it! It looks a lot better than my pvc cart. Your yak looks like it RIPS!

I still have to wire it up, so I don't know yet. Hull speed is about 6 mph, but I'm hoping it accelerates to it quickly and holds it easily. I've got a couple lifepo battery packs for it that should be able to run it for a long time. This cart looks a lot better than my previous attempts, so it took a few tries to get here. Since I built the wood ones, this one has sat for years, so I used it to try this out, but I should have used the 17' Cape Charles as it's lighter and faster and would have been easier to engineer instead of dealing with HDPE's lack of rigidity. Eh, at least with this one, if people bang into stuff I won't care.

I have my “prototype” complete, and it’s going to work very well. It’s rock solid, but I built it very lazily because I wasn’t sure it was going to work. It is going to work. I’m rebuilding all the wood parts with proper careful measurements, and the right tools.
071DEE49-5742-4409-8EF8-EF42B7BFB0D1.jpeg

Here’s the real deal. I’m going to reuse the axle and wheels exactly how they are, they will bolt right up. I’ll also be reusing the pvc hull supports, they are currently incomplete, but I flattened the bottom that rests on the wood so it will seat properly. The new cart is primed and ready for paint. (It’s not going to be super pretty, it is going to see a lot of abuse)
B7E7D955-3190-4E8F-8234-DF9CB69CCFFD.jpeg
83D5E486-A08F-4BB7-B862-498A63FB7671.jpeg

Basically all done! Gonna get some paint and some padding. Rolls fast, rock solid, and I feel really cool hauling it around. I managed an average speed of 7 mph against 25 mph wind for 2 miles. I accidentally ran it off the road a couple times too, it took it great! (I have to take my turns wider, I always go for the race line lol)
462E97A2-437C-4023-A243-36A909088E51.jpeg
FB52394B-0E42-4D88-BA58-891D68541402.jpeg
62620533-CE74-421F-B87F-D7014686C920.jpeg
9004F16F-68BE-4413-B2B7-127AE7B45A0E.jpeg

In the water it’s a little bow heavy because the bicycle is so light. I may start putting the cart in the back, and the bike up front. But before I figure out a perfect balance, there are a few parts I have to wait to get shipped...
FD681498-9239-4112-8C12-C38A2193AFE2.jpeg
C831F555-B7AF-4BB7-BEF5-7963A011CF30.png
4525977D-A892-4914-B552-CBE949B4C5B4.jpeg

Latest posts

Back