RRBBO13 Big Boy BMX (Done !)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rims cleaned and polished.
IMG_2969.JPG
IMG_2970.JPG

New rim strips, tubes and Duro red wall tires.

Cool tires and the rims cleaned up nicely!
Thanks, I'm still amazed how awesome aluminum foil and water work to bring back chrome! Today I'm gonna fit a newer chainring and install the crank and wheels. Also have a few old stems and bars to test fit. I will add pics later. :)

Thanks, I'm still amazed how awesome aluminum foil and water work to bring back chrome! Today I'm gonna fit a newer chainring and install the crank and wheels. Also have a few old stems and bars to test fit. I will add pics later. :)

Looks like you're getting an early start to the day...:confused:

Those red walls are gonna be a perfect addition

Redline chainring was in sad shape - couple teeth almost gone and generally worn out. Scored a Shimano 46T at a swap on Sunday. Also picked up beartrap pedals, bars and a longer BMX stem.
IMG_2976.JPG
IMG_2973.JPG

Got her assembled and rides great. Gonna have to get the seat and bars up higher 'cause the ultra long crank pushes my knees up closer to the bars than I like. Love the extra torque you get with them and they are so heavy they add quite a flywheel effect. I thought it might be too tall geared but not a problem on my test rides.
IMG_2978.JPG
IMG_2979.JPG
IMG_2977.JPG

Stock Huffy 10 speed front sprocket (50 and 39t) and 6" crank and Shimano 5-speed 14t - 17 - 20 - 24 - 28 t freewheel
Gear inches using 50 t front sprocket
1st gear 28 t = 46 gear inches
2nd gear 24 t = 54 gear inches
3rd gear 20 t = 65 gear inches
4th gear 17 t = 76 gear inches
5th gear 14 t = 93 gear inches
Gear inches using 39 t front sprocket
1st gear 28 t = 36 gear inches
2nd gear 24 t = 42 gear inches
3rd gear 20 t = 51 gear inches
4th gear 17 t = 60 gear inches
5th gear 14 t = 72 gear inches
Bike as built with 7 3/8" Redline Big Block crank
Gear inches using 46 t Shimano front sprocket
1st gear 28 t = 43 gear inches
2nd gear 24 t = 50 gear inches
3rd gear 20 t = 60 gear inches
4th gear 17 t = 70 gear inches
5th gear 14 t = 85 gear inches
Fun to ride, have to improve cockpit position though !

Last edited:
Nice upgrades!

Tried a couple of BMX bars and stems, but original fork just didn't look right.
IMG_2987.JPG
IMG_2989.JPG

Found this stem in my stash, tried to remove the blue overspray but can't see a logo. Looks like a black ops or maybe GT style.
IMG_2992.JPG

This stem requires a larger id fork... Found one from an old mtn. bike. Of course the steerer was too short. So I shortened the neck on the frame to compensate.
IMG_2995.JPG
IMG_2998.JPG
IMG_2999.JPG
IMG_3001.JPG

Red Mustache bar...
IMG_3003.JPG

Black Unknown bars...
IMG_3005.JPG

Kinda like the black bars as they are a couple of inches wider.
The white bars shown above are identical to the black bars I may try them tomorrow to see how they look. Also have some red grips from a swap to try. Seat one of many from my stash I'm trying.

Last edited:
Coming together nicely!

Like my dad always said, "If it doesn't go, get a bigger vise!"
That's quite a 'headset cup installer' you've got there....:bigsmile:

Splatter was big in off-road bikes in the '80s + You're doing a Big BMX + BMX was big in the '80s. Makes perfect sense.

Here's a very '80s sounding cut from the Stones to paint by.

Just change the title / lyric to "Splattered".....

Added Fork and bars today. Front brake and grips from a recent bike swap meet. Fork, bars, brake levers and gear shift from parts bikes.
IMG_3023.JPG

Gear shift original to the bike was a plastic friction unit. I cleaned up a vintage aluminum gear shifter. Needs new shift cable in the housing then more test riding...
IMG_3024.JPG

Re: OddJob's commentary on the 'stones tune "Shattered" a favorite of mine, BTW.
"Don't you know the crime rate is going up, up, up, up, up
To live in this town you must be tough, tough, tough, tough, tough!
You got rats on the West Side
Bed bugs uptown
What a mess this town's in tatters, I've been shattered
My brain's been battered, splattered all over Manhattan."
Maybe with the red splatter I have built a Zombie Apocalypse BMX style cruiser? :eek:
IMG_3020.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the complements! Man that second saddle is cool! Also found SE bike seats in blue and red. Built in bottle openers too! Anyone know how much "cush" these seats offer and are they compatible with standard "guts"? I'm gonna throw on a couple of the saddles I have and try 'em but it is the missing link to finish this.

Well, the plastic ones aren't made for sitting on, put it that way! :21:

That Mike Buff one is cooler than dangit ( props to @Falstaff ) and there were a couple others with some padding. Troxel ones look pretty decent.

Latest posts

Back