Big Ripper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyGold

Epic Level Bike Hoarder! 🏆
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
So, we have been having a bunch of construction done at the house the last couple months. As a result, my bike hoards, for the most part, have been consolidated. The unfortunate side effect...the only rideable bike I have access to is a $20 Raleigh Colt.

I have a few NIB bikes I've not gotten around to stored in the house. Thought I would break one out (pardon the crap pics...lens is shattered on my phone)...

2014 SE Big Ripper... bought it sometime in early 2015...

102212_68ab44d277ed4fc066901eba67bc5d7c.jpg

Staged everything...

102213_3158693c5a6c8d09fb1a2ed97ec1d66a.jpg

I like tall bars, so I grabbed the only bars I could reach...

102214_5f1827422fffd617a8fc85ec746d4492.jpg

...and will flip the stem, fortunately it is finished on both sides so I won't have to clean it up or modify...

102215_cf8d62c4a4ee06e719bf180c20057177.jpg

Something is not quite right (aside from no air in the tires)...

IMG_20190823_105442677.jpg

...ah, much better :thumbsup:

IMG_20190823_115114510.jpg

Will be taking it out for a cruise tomorrow!

Last edited:
You left that in the box for 4 years?

You crazy Man? :39:
Yes I am :nod:...but, I'm also out of bike room until my shop gets built. So, I had the choice of building the Big Ripper, and leaving it outside (covered porch), or leaving it in the box inside.

I had to consolidate all my bike hoards into one area (garage), packed in like sardines. When the siding contractors showed up, they staged all the hardiplank and lumber in front of the garage...leaving me essentially bikeless. But, a nice little caveat...the house was pretty much bike free due to the interior work previously done...so I've got a three bike hoard started in my 'hobby room' :21:.

Yes I am :nod:...but, I'm also out of bike room until my shop gets built. So, I had the choice of building the Big Ripper, and leaving it outside (covered porch), or leaving it in the box inside.

I had to consolidate all my bike hoards into one area (garage), packed in like sardines. When the siding contractors showed up, they staged all the hardiplank and lumber in front of the garage...leaving me essentially bikeless. But, a nice little caveat...the house was pretty much bike free due to the interior work previously done...so I've got a three bike hoard started in my 'hobby room' :21:.
Hmmm. :39:

Not so crazy after all...

Its not that I don't like thickslicks...I just don't believe in slicks on a BMX bike :grin:. The Vans aren't a huge improvement, as they are still essentially a street tire, but they are not slicks. I'll look for something a little more BMXy when I get access to my hoard back (though, I do like the Vans...they may stay :39:).

I was hoping I could stuff the thickslicks on my 700c PK Ripper, but they aren't even remotely close to fitting. I have another project that they will look great on...and even if they don't initially fit on that one, I'll make 'em fit :showingbiceps:.

Thanks to you, I was down at the LBS this weekend, looking at new PK Rippers. Again. I had finally stopped shopping for a BMX cruiser. Lucky for me, all they had in stock was a fat bike and a multi speed one... Lucky?

I had a Fat Bike - not a Ripper admittedly - but a 4" Fatty without gears and hated it.
But this build has cost me about half of a stock Fat Ripper so far.
fattt.jpg

The thing I don't get about the Fast Ripper is the price. Otherwise I'd be all over one.

That's pretty bad :thumbsup:.

If ever get a Fat Ripper, it will be just for the novelty. The OM-Duro would be a more practical bike than the Fat Ripper, but, I'm just not much into fat bikes and derailleurs don't equal BMX, in my book.

Fast Ripper...no deraillers on BMX :grin:. If I wanted to pick up a fast geared light rigid mountain bike, I would start with something like a Monocog or Kona or best of all, an old Trek Sawyer :cool2:.

I still have two Redlines and a MacNeil NIB...as well as a couple WallyWorld bikes...but, the Ripper was definitely the one that has been waiting the longest.

Short ride around the neighborhood...

View attachment 102181

View attachment 102184

View attachment 102185
That ground looks pretty loose. Think you need some old school tires with BIG nobbies!

That's what I'm kinda leanin towards with my bikes.
Something like a Kenda Kinetics in a 26x2.6 is what I'd like. These tires are known to run a bit small for size. So maybe a 26x2.35 in a different brand.
They're not really old school giant nobbies, but still substantially deep and open tread.

Think I'd rather give up a little on-road smoothness to not slide-out and wipe-out in a worse-case scenario. And they shed mud better than most cruiser tires too.

All I could reach were the Vans and some Nevegals. Ideally, I would prefer something in between...like twin-rails or small-blocks.
Guy who I bought my Schwalbe Marathons from offered to sell me some used Kenda small nobby 2.1 tires for ten bucks. Wish I had bought them now. One was worn but the other was in excellent shape.

Was going to try some Serfas Sheriff tires a couple of days ago, but the shop could only find one. It's very similar to the SB8 in appearance, but wire bead and much less expensive.
Then I started looking at the Crazy Bob they had hangin on the wall. It looked HUGE. The guy said it was a 26x2.5, but I've only seen 26x2.35 online. Regardless it was big. And I may go back and get it for the back of Virginia, and get something a little smaller but more aggressive for the front.

Latest posts

Back