RRBBO13 Big Ron's Resto-Mod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Better late than never! I am FINALLY back. As usual, things are crazy busy here, but I've been blessed with the opportunity for some awesome customer builds. I am jumping in on this a little late, but excited none the less. This build is for Big Ron Jones (a Speedway, Indiana fixture) and we'll see if I can get things done by the deadline. I'll be starting with a early 60's Jonneau trike rear mated to a Schwinn-flavored cantilever front. This is going to be a family cruiser with a trunk for their cooler and radio. I'll also drop in some other vintage accessories as usual. She'll be rolling on new hardware (maybe wide rears) and have a modern drivetrain while keeping some vintage hot rod flavor. The original Jonneau had no rear brakes with a front drum, but Ron doesn't want the clutter up front so I'll be looking for another way to get things slowed down for him. I'm also going to go for a patina'd frame & fork, so we'll see how that turns out. It's great to be back and hopefully things go better than last year (BTW the Colson rear-steer tandem is STILL in the works... lol)

41364701555_aa7f1eb5fb_h.jpg

41364701305_2714d455ca_h.jpg

28393343338_497ebca799_h.jpg

Cool, another trike build!
I definitely approve of the Holey lantern!

More parts and then on to the mock-ups :)

I switched out the forks for some vintage bladed ones since the tube-style didn't look the part and the blades push the front wheel out more. Replaced the stem with an adapter and a MTB stem to get the bars out and down. I'm pushing the bars out front and the seat to the rear to get a more pronounced rake to the back. (think big front tire motorcycle look without as big of a front tire) This will also create a better riding position for Ron (who is 6'4"+). A 1960's Murray slim tank will house the lighting electronics / batteries. I started playing with a tapered housing for the light as well as the vintage drillium one - we'll see what looks the best.

Time to start thinking about colors - maybe red rims with Jerald slicks on the rear (wish I could still get the white wall ones) and maybe even a skinny on a mag for the front. I have no ideas yet on where I'll go with the patina'd frame color.

IMG_6543 2.JPG

IMG_6540 2.JPG

IMG_6541 2.JPG

IMG_6571.jpg

IMG_6573.jpg

IMG_6570.jpg

IMG_6564.JPG

Jerald does have the white wall tires available. That's what I'm planning to use!

Awesome!!! Where are you getting them - directly from Jerald or from one of their resellers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things are starting to take shape and I like it! Copper bar ends from The Shadow Conspiracy will finish off the grips on the ape hangers. I also mocked up a suicide front brake (may still use the drum), the fenders, and the wood crate that will carry Ron’s cooler and speaker. Thinking about some Monark style DEEP fenders for the rear to emulate the lowered look as well (see attached pickup picture for reference). A HUGE thanks to TRM for letting me know that the Jerald whitewalls are still available (ordering them today)!

IMG_6576.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

IMG_6578.JPG

IMG_6577.JPG

IMG_6584.JPG

IMG_6582.JPG

IMG_6583.JPG

IMG_6586.JPG

173b7749c7dacbc7fda0110c74c9d0ea.jpg

Last edited:
Love the coaster front brake
You're getting alot of work mapped out already.
I have had a couple of those same desk lamp shades for years. I look forward to seeing you incorporate that one into your build.

Are you still going to be able to steer with that long front brake arm? Or are you just going to have left turns only :D

There is a little limit on the right steering, but it's not too bad. I'm working between brake lever shape, reach, and steering allowed - will bt interesting to see where we end up. Might even turn it into a foot brake ;)

Are you still going to be able to steer with that long front brake arm? Or are you just going to have left turns only :D

Hmmm - after a LONG time and way to much thinking, I have decided to go with a drum brake with a suicide lever to get this thing stopped. The coaster on the front was just too cluttered IMO. I just received my Jerald slicks, refined the rear crate trunk, figured out the light bracket and have also started the patina process :) Progress is good!

IMG_6609.JPG

IMG_6611.JPG

IMG_6605.JPG

IMG_6606.JPG

IMG_6604.JPG

IMG_6590.JPG

IMG_6592.JPG

That's a shame about the coaster up front, but It'll be cool to see how you do a suicide lever for a drum!
I really like the finish on the tank - is it a textured spray like a sandstone finish or something? Is that it's colour or did you put another colour over the top of the texture?

Thanks for the props - glad you like how it's coming together. The patina is first a brown primer, then a dark red gloss, then a textured multicolor with tan and browns. I then sprayed some more of the dark red where the sun wouldn't have bleached it out and then added a light coat of the textured multi over it. Lightly gone over with steel wool and added some "fresh" rust details with oranges, yellows, and browns and a small brush.

So long story short... it's all fake :)

That's a shame about the coaster up front, but It'll be cool to see how you do a suicide lever for a drum!
I really like the finish on the tank - is it a textured spray like a sandstone finish or something? Is that it's colour or did you put another colour over the top of the texture?

Patina updates.... lots of experimenting but it's getting there :)

Started here
IMG_6618.JPG

Sanded, distressed, added multiple bases and got here
IMG_6620.JPG

Then texture
IMG_6619.JPG

After the texture is good and dry (24/48 hours), I sanded the sharp edges off and put on a dark color wash to "age" it more. After that I
started to add some detail "rust" and staining
IMG_6628.JPG

Once the details dry, more sanding and blending and then a final bit or a texture coat and black wash. You can see the blended details on the top tube. The trike will also feature some Von Dutch style lines dropped by one of the best artists around (who happens to be located right here in Indy!). Thinking black, silver (or red) and lime green :)
IMG_6630.JPG

Latest posts

Back