Bike bug diary

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Over the last few years I've become obsessed with the velosolex moped.... Which isn't really a moped in the conventional sense it's more of a cyclemoteur. Anyhoo they do show up on CL from time to time but they are either way over priced or in pieces in a moldy old Falstaff beer box.
There are a ton of friction drives out there but most look like you have a lawnmower strapped to your bike.
Tanaka had a bike engine that had a little bit of awkward elegance to it . It was called tas spits, bike bug, little devil or as the one I have, Sears Free Spirit.
It's not without it's problems it needs a new gas cap,
Primer Pump Kit,
Fuel Pump Kit,
Air Filter ,
Drive Wheel,
Fuel Lines and I'm planning to put an electronic ignition on this to replace the points and condenser.
All the parts I need are available from a guy in Houston. I recon it will take me another 200 to get it up and running again. I consider it tuition to learn a new skill. I've never worked on small engines before and I think it may be a handy skill to learn. Plus I have a need for slightly increased speed.
I'm hoping to put it on this bike
This means I have to remove the v brake mount and put the old brake on.
I needed a project and I've got one!

Woo hoo I have spark. Well, I did now the tester isn't lighting up. I may have broken the tester

I have to wait until pay day to order the parts but I figure I'll post some pictures of the engine
The primer bulb is broken and the gas cap is wrecked and there's some rust in the tank
And it needs a rubber roller wheel
There are a few other issues as well, but all the parts are going to be ordered so hopefully I can get it running by fall

Distilled water and sand is a cheap way to clean that tank like new. Just empty the tank pour in distilled water and sand and shake for 20 min. and rinse well. let air dry. Here is the link for the you tube. It cost me 80 cents and some playground sand at the end of the street

Last edited:
I've got it all put together but I've discovered a pin hole in the gas tank. I'll try to seal it up. Also now I don't seem to have spark. Oh well, if it ran the first time I wouldn't learn anything.

Man, I just sold my yellow 74 Solex last year for $175. It ran and was complete. Even had the tool box with all the tools. I rode that thing to high-school and believe it or not the other kids thought it was the bomb. (so to speak) Still I loved it, and it was a blast to ride!

This project seems like it's gonna turn out great! I will be sure to keep an eye on it. Best of luck!

~Ron~

Someday I'll find a velosolex that runs for a decent price. Until then this will have to do
Update....I sealed up the tank and it seems that it's holding. Still no spark so it's not turning over. The guy sells an electronic ignition kit for $35 that replaced the points and condenser. I wonder if this is something I can find at a lawn mower repair shop

I installed the electronic ignition module today and I officially have honest to goodness spark as of 8:50pm central time. Still won't turn over so my next step is to clean the carb. I'll do that tomorrow

First real ride today.
I ran to the hardware store, maybe a mile I guess. On the way home my cog fell off, ring and all. Just came off...wth? Not the engine's fault of course but I have never had that happen. I walked the bike to a nearby park because I didn't want to look like some weirdo in front of St. Raphael school. There are plenty of weirdos at the park.
I got the rear wheel fixed and I was on my way.
The engine sure rattles a lot. Then again I'm over 40 too and rattle like crazy. Plus it hasn't been ridden in years (again...like me). All in all I am satisfied. I brought an engine back from the dead. I've never worked with engines before so that's another thing off my bucket list.

I forgot to mention this bike just has a coaster brake....thank goodness I was on a side street

Latest posts

Back