Bike ID

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID this bike? The guy that has it says it's a Schwinn. it does have a serial number under the bottom bracket that matches a Schwinn but it just doesn't look right.
Screenshot_20200912-064250.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200912-064314.png
    Screenshot_20200912-064314.png
    764.4 KB · Views: 118
Thanks Falstaff. The serial number matching the Schwinn database. Has him thinking it a Schwinn.
I'm not a schwinn guy, so I don't know if they made anything for the European market. But I'm pretty sure they didn't.

The three piece crank set tells me it's Euro, U.S. bikes used a one piece for cruisers. Also not aware of American cruisers that are lugged and have the cantilever tubes below the top tube at the seat tube.

I could be wrong about all of that, but still certain it's European.

52 and earlier is on the BB, 52-70 on the dropout, 70-83 on up on the headtube. That's for the Chicago Schwinns.

I agree that bike isn't a Schwinn. The lugged frame and cottered cranks aren't American made. The shape of the components don't match up with the normal english bikes I've seen. The shape of the lugs aren't visible in the pics, blurry. I don't recognize the shape of the dropouts or the fender bridge on the seatstays.

I had a little Royce Union that looked like that. I don't have a better picture of it. I can't remember the name of the German muscle bike forum right now but I think I have it somewhere in my saved bookmarks.
FB_IMG_1600002758646.jpg

I have a BRC (Canada) MX bike that I've seen an identical Royce Union version (imported from all over asia and occasionally Europe...who ever offers cheapest deal :grin:)...both with Murray style pointy dropouts.

Leaning towards Japan built.

Could just as well be a CCM.

Found this Norco I never knew existed. Has the Murray style dropouts like in the OP
View attachment 138936
That CCM is probably an import as well...could very well be the same factory that manufactured many of the above mentioned bikes :grin:.

That CCM is probably an import as well...could very well be the same factory that manufactured many of the above mentioned bikes :grin:.
I'll quote myself... nothing like holding a conversation with yourself :thumbsup:. Hamppea may have hit on something here...I can't find a reference that states CCM ever off-shored production of frames. It could be that many of the bikes above...and others I've dismissed as asian, german or british are made in America :cool: (Well... America's hat at least). That would be very cool as I was a bit bummed that my BRC was just another asian import :39:.

When I was growing up, I heard that CCM stood for Canadian Company Made. Found this online, CCM Mustang, but I don't think it's as old as it appears, is that a v brake on the rear?
c868f8fd-0a0e-489b-adb7-5facdf6559e9_largesize.jpg

OG Mustang had a different frame, this one is from early seventies
images.jpeg

Non pointy dropouts on both

I'm not a schwinn guy, so I don't know if they made anything for the European market. But I'm pretty sure they didn't.

The three piece crank set tells me it's Euro, U.S. bikes used a one piece for cruisers. Also not aware of American cruisers that are lugged and have the cantilever tubes below the top tube at the seat tube.

I could be wrong about all of that, but still certain it's European.
I agree with your assessment.

Latest posts

Back