Bike racks with long wheel base help...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this one. It's not my favorite, but it's cheap and the wheel cradles can be adjusted to fit a pretty long bike. It works fine enough, but I don't care for the way it moves slightly rotating at the hitch and I supplement the center arm that holds the frame with velcro strap and microfiber cloth to protect the paint. The cushion things on the arms are not durable and I would recommend, if you are concerned with paint rub, to put some clear 3M film where the arm would contact the paint. I would have preferred a 2" hitch, but in order to hide a hitch above the stupid center exhaust on the Focus ST, 1 1/4" was the biggest I could fit. No problem with fenders, either.

https://smile.amazon.com/63134-Q-Sl...rd_wg=8BReb&psc=1&refRID=DHX0CD6ZWFN7ZH3CQ3VM

I don't know if you'll find one for under $200... at least not new anyway. This is what I've used the last several years to haul my Electra and Felt cruisers. I did end up unbolting the trays from the rack and mounting them to some square tubing we put together. Just because the hinge feature got in the way of lowering the tailgate of my truck without removing the rack. The rack would have worked fine otherwise. Also, the padding on the frame clamp/hooks will wear out if you use it enough. I just always put a piece of pipe insulation between my bike and the hook. https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-Racks/Thule/TH990XT.html

IMG_20170407_172458823_HDR.jpg

Here's mine with the straps I added to prevent the annoying movement. I stopped bothering since the movement doesn't seem to be anything more than an annoyance and if the straps wear the paint on the tailgate, I'll be far more annoyed. It's not obvious from the photo, but I think you could fit a bike of about 2' extra wheelbase length by extending the cradles all the way out. Of course, then you'll want to be cautious driving down narrow streets.

14883610_10154213692798191_2175720379729034737_o.jpg

note : those velcro straps that add security for holding the wheels down will scuff alloy rims. What are people adding between the strap and the rim?

On my rims that are painted, I have reflective tape in a few places and I put the Velcro over that (see red reflections on rims in photo below for typical use). 3M film would do the same job. But, also, they don't have to be that tight as they're not securing the bike, they're more of a reserve. You can also use microfiber rags.

23131868_10155279618913191_5717470989639435773_n.jpg

note : those velcro straps that add security for holding the wheels down will scuff alloy rims. What are people adding between the strap and the rim?

My straps are rubber, however I carry some 2” blue painters tape with me and just stick a small piece or two on my polished wheels so that even the rubber pads on the straps don’t scuff them.

Last edited:
My Thule doesn't have Velcro straps. They are plastic with a rubber piece that goes against the rim to keep it from scratching. My brothers Saris also has plastic wheel straps. It didn't come with anything to protect the wheels. We cut a couple lengths from an old bicycle tube to slide over the straps to protect the wheels

Latest posts

Back