Bike shop horror stories.

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. LOADS of non drive side BB cups screwed into the drive side shell.

2. I opened the BB of a Hyper BMX to see the left side bearing cage was twisted and mangled. It was a 1 piece BB. Pieces of bearing cage went everywhere.

3. Opened up a 3 piece BB on a Fils road bike to see the left side bearing cage was missing all the bearings and was flattened out in a barrel shape. WUT?

4. A SHINY PURPLE Rolls Racer road bike (A cheap Japanese road bike like the Fils.) had the cottered cranks removed. The cranks and the pedals were strapped to the toptube. ? The ends of the cranks still had the cotter pins still in and the cranks had clear packing tape wrapped around them and the cotter pins to keep the pins in. The chain was wrapped in an old weed wacker manual, which was then taped to the downtube with the same tape.

5. 5 speed freewheel on a flip flop fixie hub. A bunch of spacers were put on the wheel. This made it waaaaaaaaaaay out of dish.

6. Old French road bike with wheels so rusted that they broke in half. The leather seat dried out and looked like a shriveled out pumpkin.

7. Old road bikes with downtubes so bent from a front end collision that the headtube was at a vertical angle.

8. Bullhorn bars tilted down to an unusable angle.

9. An octocycle made out of 20 different bike frames.

10. A woman brought in a penny farthing replica that was made for display only, but she was riding it.

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember something! The bike with the split in half do to rust wheels also had a chain so rusted, that it BENT the chain breaker pin. The pins were that frozen. The links would not even move one bit. I could not pull it through the derailleur. I had to use some tremendous bolt cutters and split the chain in 5 different places.

Sep 14, 2013
Bradley Illinoiz
www.instagram.com
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Ok here's a bike shop horror story for you...
I had a couple fat rims all laced up given to me, no thru axles, no bearings, no gear clusters and no disk for the brakes. Since I had never messed with any of that before, I took it to my LBS. The snooty mechanic wanted to know what kind of bike I was going to put it on, wouldn't talk to me about any of it and basically said I wouldn't be able to use any of it on a "homemade" bike as he called it. Now I know not all bike shops are like that and I hope that more are fair and decent folks than that snooty little fart. But the local here is not friendly at all unless you've got two grand for a touring bike or four grand for an electric.
Oh and I figured it out without their help...
62045314_113195506408833_1722087861195093581_n.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2019
Warsaw PL
allejazda.waw.pl
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I had a horror story of my own.

The background.

A friend of mine gave me a lot of bicycle parts from his old bikes (rims, hubs, hydraulic brake sets etc.) and a super cool PC case made by Corsair, in exchange for helping him build a new bike.

He gave me all that was left of his bicycle (a frame with BB, cranks, chain, rear wheel, seatpost, headset & a detached stem with a steeringbar & rear brake), and asked me if I could take everything apart, cause he can't find his wrenches.

Oh boy... He later told me, he left the bike in a workshop next to him, and I just discovered after that, that the guy who works there probably doesn't understand what the phrase "delicate tensioning" means...

The stem? A good portion of "UNGGGGHHHHHHH" and a few curse words - it came loose.

Cassette? Good thing I ate a solid breakfast...

The worst thing - The BB. It was a Truvativ Howitzer, that the guy from the other workshop tightened beyond any hope of ever trying to unscrew it... while the gear side came of with only a little bit of strenght, the non-gear side was so stuck, that the wrench just cut trough the bolt...

We tried everything - heating? Forget it - only damaged the plastic seal on the bolt. WD40? Don't even thin of it. Freazing? Nothing. Hammering a big screwdriver and try the thing by hardcore force? Na-ah. WELDING A PIECE OF REBAR TO THE SCREW? :eek: You guessed it - THE REBAR BROKE! :mad:

My boss (an older guy who repaired elevators his whole life) came with an idea to drill the screw, thread it, and then try to weld the screw that will be inside the screw :confused:

And - miracle! We drilled 9/10th of the screw with a 9mm drill, and after putting the screw tap trough the 3/4 of the screw, finally the outer thread broke, and it came out loose. 3 hours of fight with one screw, just to get the BB out of the frame. But at least there is something of it. Since my friend is buying a new frame (NSBikes Surge) I get to keep his old frame (Giant STP2) for myself, and can build a proper MTB for my GF on it...

Starnger

Pro Member
Aug 4, 2016
Poznan, Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I had a horror story of my own.

The background.

A friend of mine gave me a lot of bicycle parts from his old bikes (rims, hubs, hydraulic brake sets etc.) and a super cool PC case made by Corsair, in exchange for helping him build a new bike.

He gave me all that was left of his bicycle (a frame with BB, cranks, chain, rear wheel, seatpost, headset & a detached stem with a steeringbar & rear brake), and asked me if I could take everything apart, cause he can't find his wrenches.

Oh boy... He later told me, he left the bike in a workshop next to him, and I just discovered after that, that the guy who works there probably doesn't understand what the phrase "delicate tensioning" means...

The stem? A good portion of "UNGGGGHHHHHHH" and a few curse words - it came loose.

Cassette? Good thing I ate a solid breakfast...

The worst thing - The BB. It was a Truvativ Howitzer, that the guy from the other workshop tightened beyond any hope of ever trying to unscrew it... while the gear side came of with only a little bit of strenght, the non-gear side was so stuck, that the wrench just cut trough the bolt...

We tried everything - heating? Forget it - only damaged the plastic seal on the bolt. WD40? Don't even thin of it. Freazing? Nothing. Hammering a big screwdriver and try the thing by hardcore force? Na-ah. WELDING A PIECE OF REBAR TO THE SCREW? :eek: You guessed it - THE REBAR BROKE! :mad:

My boss (an older guy who repaired elevators his whole life) came with an idea to drill the screw, thread it, and then try to weld the screw that will be inside the screw :confused:

And - miracle! We drilled 9/10th of the screw with a 9mm drill, and after putting the screw tap trough the 3/4 of the screw, finally the outer thread broke, and it came out loose. 3 hours of fight with one screw, just to get the BB out of the frame. But at least there is something of it. Since my friend is buying a new frame (NSBikes Surge) I get to keep his old frame (Giant STP2) for myself, and can build a proper MTB for my GF on it...
Man, i feel you! Had a pedal stuck in the one piece crank once in the similar way. Welding a rebar helped, but i had to brake 3 rebars first, and cut the pedal axle to the widest part, putting a lot of weld around. Took me a year from my first attempt to the moment it came loose. I never gave up :D

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, i feel you! Had a pedal stuck in the one piece crank once in the similar way. Welding a rebar helped, but i had to brake 3 rebars first, and cut the pedal axle to the widest part, putting a lot of weld around. Took me a year from my first attempt to the moment it came loose. I never gave up :D
What bike was it?

Starnger

Pro Member
Aug 4, 2016
Poznan, Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bike was it?
Crank came off Dyno Tikki Taboo, but it was really misused and stored in a bad way. The bike degraded like it was 40, not 20 years old. I got lucky it was the right pedal that got stuck, not the left, so i was able to take the crank off the frame.

Reactions: Grant
Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst pedal was a 1970s Raleigh Record. The kind that came with square tapered cranks. It was olive green with a black headtube. Both pedals were installed on the opposite crank and were kept like that for 40 years. The bike was rusty. The corrosion and reverse pedals made it sooooooooooo hard to get off. 1 hour of taking a pedal off. I was sweating HARD because it was a HOT summer day.

Reactions: Starnger

Starnger

Pro Member
Aug 4, 2016
Poznan, Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst pedal was a 1970s Raleigh Record. The kind that came with square tapered cranks. It was olive green with a black headtube. Both pedals were installed on the opposite crank and were kept like that for 40 years. The bike was rusty. The corrosion and reverse pedals made it sooooooooooo hard to get off. 1 hour of taking a pedal off. I was sweating HARD because it was a HOT summer day.
I am trying to avoid old tapered cranks as much as i can! They are popular in Europe, but i cam up with so many reasons not to deal with them throughout the years! :D

Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to avoid old tapered cranks as much as i can! They are popular in Europe, but i cam up with so many reasons not to deal with them throughout the years! :D
I have used square taper cranks from the 70s/80s. no issues had. Any bike that I have seen that was made before 1970 had either cottered or 1 piece cranks. Square tapered cranks were invented in the 20s, but only became cheap in the 70s. Where I work, it is kind of economically depressed, so there is no real nice vintage bikes. Mine is one of the nicest vintage bikes there. The only nice racers are ones that are post 1995. Hardly any nice bikes that were made pre 1995 there.

Here is mine.
Schwinn.jpg

This is what is usually there. It is good, but not nice.
DSC00595.JPG

I really don't care about there being nice bikes there because the people are really nice and I am not a snob.

December 2018 had some nice pre 1995 bikes there.
There is around 5 nice steel bikes there for sale right now.
A lot of the bikes are not nice, but obscure.

Starnger

Pro Member
Aug 4, 2016
Poznan, Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used square taper cranks from the 70s/80s. no issues had. Any bike that I have seen that was made before 1970 had either cottered or 1 piece cranks. Square tapered cranks were invented in the 20s, but only became cheap in the 70s. Where I work, it is kind of economically depressed, so there is no real nice vintage bikes. Mine is one of the nicest vintage bikes there. The only nice racers are ones that are post 1995. Hardly any nice bikes that were made pre 1995 there.

Here is mine.
View attachment 111666

This is what is usually there. It is good, but not nice.
View attachment 111667

I really don't care about there being nice bikes there because the people are really nice and I am not a snob.

December 2018 had some nice pre 1995 bikes there.
There is around 5 nice steel bikes there for sale right now.
A lot of the bikes are not nice, but obscure.
Forgive me my mistake, of course i was talking about cottered ones. Those modern chinesium soft pins are so not working with the old system.
Nice bike you have there :) I do watch your other posts with this one and few others time to time :)

Reactions: Grant
Oct 28, 2018
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me my mistake, of course i was talking about cottered ones. Those modern chinesium soft pins are so not working with the old system.
Nice bike you have there :) I do watch your other posts with this one and few others time to time :)
I did get some brand new cotter pins for cheap with EXTREME strength.

Oct 31, 2017
NH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this thread. I remember w-a-a-a-a-y back in the day when people thought that spending over $100 for a bike was just plain stupid. Many of my personal crazy experiences were with people who could not - would not - understand or comprehend why a beat-up pos bike needed parts and labor $$ to make it right again. I own/run a small repair LLC to this day, and its strictly by word of mouth. Still, I get a steady flow of customers. Many of them need some coddling in order to understand the costs. I do my best, and since its not needed income (this is a self-supporting hobby, nothing more), then I can afford to be more personable and nurturing. I'm not sure that is a good thing, because they keep on a coming!

Jul 25, 2009
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had one where the bottom bracket cup was misthreaded and frozem cockeyed in the frame. The customer rode it long enough loose for the left hand crankarm to wear a 1/4 inch divot out of the chainstay from repeated contact. It took 2 days to get the cup out in 3 pieces.

Oct 8, 2007
Van Nuys
www.atomiccycles.com
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 24 gt bmx bike with the seat post stuck in the frame. I removed the crank and soaked the seat tube in PB Blaster for 2 years. Then I put the seat post in my vice and with a 7 foot long steel tube tried to brake loose the post. The post shattered and pb Blaster went everywhere. Seat post is still stuck in the frame.