Billy Bobber beastie cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a couple years since I've built a bicycle. The last was for the build off a few years ago. I would love to do another build off but spring and summertime are just too busy for me to do so. I sold my last build to my brother. He just had to have it. I've slowly gathered parts here and there for another bike. I purchased a Mongoose Beast for 40 dollars last summer at a yard sale because I thought the wide wheels would be cool on a build. The schwinn cantilever tank bikes are my favorite so I've lazily been keeping an eye out for one. A couple weeks ago I came across a scwhinn frame on Facebook market for cheap and decided it was time for another build. I forgot to take pictures of the beast before cutting it up. Really the only thing I'm using from the beast are the wheels and crank bottom bracket area. Here are some pics of the build as of now. I managed to widen the top of the rear stays and get a rough look at it with wheels on. I have an old set of Monark forks I plan on using to make a springer front end with. I will try to update the pics every couple days. During the work week.

20190203_091219.jpg

This is the frame that I started with.

20190203_091548.jpg

20190203_091528.jpg

I cut out the bridge and cut the front of the bottom stays loose. I bent the stays outward at the seatpost and inward down lower.

20190203_091501.jpg

Here is a quick glance at what it will sort of look like. The tires are slicks I got off of ebay. I thought the no tread look was cool. ( I still need to get a tube for the front. When the beast was still in one piece, my son got a flat and road on it. ) The forks are an Origin 8 ebay item that I cut the disc brake tab off of. As mentioned I am going to build a Monark springer style front end. I will figure out the front of the bottom stays and upper bridge once i get the wider bottom bracket positioned and welded in.

20190203_091420.jpg
20190203_091434.jpg

And where it sits as of now. I also picked up a tank for it off of ebay...Yes, I am an ebay shopper.

Awesome build! I love where it’s gping. Reminds me a lot of this build-

778ABE9F-FD75-467D-B2D7-535F18435E48.jpeg

I’m envious as I’ve wanted to do a similar one since first seeing this pic.

For your headset, atomic cycles sells threadless headsets milled down to fit Schwinn frames. Or you can get a headset and have a machine shop mill it down.

(Threadless cups are 34mm)

Awesome build! I love where it’s gping. Reminds me a lot of this build-

View attachment 89676

I’m envious as I’ve wanted to do a similar one since first seeing this pic.

For your headset, atomic cycles sells threadless headsets milled down to fit Schwinn frames. Or you can get a headset and have a machine shop mill it down.

(Threadless cups are 34mm)

I contemplated machining a head set as I have a lathe at work but ended up ordering one from genuine bicycle products.
I have a couple pictures of that bicycle saved. I came across it searching for inspiration and looking up information.

I contemplated machining a head set as I have a lathe at work but ended up ordering one from genuine bicycle products.
I have a couple pictures of that bicycle saved. I came across it searching for inspiration and looking up information.
Nice! Genuine products and atomic are the same shop.
I look forward to following this one!!

Managed to get a little done on the springer front end. I worked a little on my lunch break the past couple of days.
20190205_123958.jpg
20190205_124502.jpg

Bent up some 3/4 dom for the front fork hoop.

20190205_125554.jpg

Hoop laying next to the forks. Just so happens that one of our dies was the perfect radius.

20190206_125233.jpg

I cut the spring mounts off the donor fork.
20190207_121008.jpg

Drew some lines on the table, spaced where needed, clamped to table and welded spring mounts on.

20190207_125854.jpg
and where I ended up at today. Next week I will tweak them a little, cut to length, and weld some bottom wheel mounts on.

Latest posts

Back