RRBBO13 Black Cat 13 - Rides

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This photo is funny John! It looks like the bike didn't quite get put together correctly. The fork is in the middle and the top tube never got joined together and the BB switched places with the fork!
Well, that’s pretty much what happened! The blue tubes are down and top tubes, I don’t remember which without looking back. And the first time riding a SWB recumbent is weird with your feet in front of the steering. OTOH, the center of rotation is still under the bum, so thinking about it that way get ya used to it quickly. Or you fall. :41: Never happened to me at a crossing in front of cars. Never! :21:

As promised, the skirt guards make their ‘attached’ debut:

CF1C9A59-2029-4AC2-9B20-1949D003FAC9.jpeg
8D5A54B1-244D-4D33-BEF0-30302796BE7D.jpeg

Still have to make some attach points for the lower parts, so they don’t rattle. That will be part of the small bits welding session.

Then cables and test. Then paint and pics. Feelin doable! :)

My friend Paul rides a recumbent. People always tell him that "looks so comfortable". He says, "It's comfortable, but it's not easy!"

Especially balancing at slow speeds. We rode the North Shore trail along Lake Michigan in Chicago, which is like a re recreational super highway traffic jam. I've never heard so many 4 letter words out of him in my life!
:21:

Small progress:
Cable stop for the front shifter...
A203E9F6-159D-4E43-BD2D-1359ADFB43C0.jpeg

... and a couple nuts for cable guides.
522D6214-44A3-4126-896B-0B95F68B78A7.jpeg

Need another small bits welding session, or two, then on we go! Life just gets so busy. When is the deadline again? :13:

Last edited:
24 days

SIX DAYS TO GO!!!!!

countdown.gif

SIX DAYS TO GO!!!!!

I should probably do something then!!!!

:bigsmile:

Nah, got busy with work and life, but I have some time here at the end for a final push across the line. Should have some updated work later today & tomorrow.

Excited about my choice of paint, a new-to-me product
from spray.bike.
https://us.spray.bike/
Supposed to be a better finish and more durable than standard rattle cans. I’ll report back after application and again further down the road on the durability.

Anybody use it before?

The B-pivot from Bachetta allows the riser & handlebar to rotate forward for easy mounting/dismounting. It needed a 1-1/8” i.d. riser, so I had to buy a tube & split it.

Modified a 34mm seat clamp by removing the stop ridge so it will slide over.

58D1B4D3-0931-4388-9B01-2C242D554BE2.jpeg

And ¡viola!
2E50832D-2EC2-4EB7-B855-9069E2163792.jpeg

Today should be break down and paint, if it doesn’t rain again.

Spray is on...
Before:
CC442EA1-62C1-421D-9306-A6469327833D.jpeg

After: flat black
4B36C8BF-599D-423E-BD08-E3C7A50AF272.jpeg

Accent yellow. (alma mater colors: see first post. :))
83B9FBEE-EA53-400B-90C5-C0ECFD6A4A69.jpeg

Application went well. They suggest 5-12 cm spray distance, which seems closer than I’m used to. I measured, since I’m an Imerialist. Noticed when I strayed away it didn’t go as well. Kept reminding myself to come closer and it worked well. I liked how it went on.

“Fully cured in 2 hours, but we suggest waiting 12 hours for reassembly.”

I’ll wait 24. Would wait more but then I would be away for work and not meet the deadline, so we’ll see.

It says it's a powder coat but without having to bake it. Not sure how that's possible

Deeper in their story they say they were dissatisfied with the results of a paint product, and called the maufacurer. They asked ‘what do you want it to do?’
Created a collaboration.

As I understand it, it’s not really powder coat, but sprays on as a powder vs. a liquid. That prevents runs and makes a better/more even coat. I agree with that. No run at the joins from over application.

Durability and all to be determined.

From your photos and my laptop screen, the paint looks very evenly applied and depth of color seems consistent.

I missed the intro to the paint, I'll have to go back and find it. Always up for new methods! Do they have that in 'rust'...? :21:

Do they have that in 'rust'...? :21:

I don’t see one in rust, but they have some khaki bronze & others near rust/brownish that I bet a creative rustina-type could make work.

After 24 hrs. the paint is definitely hadleable. Some stipeling(sp?) (raised bumps) that I smoothed over with a dry towel. The mfgs. suggest using “kitchen paper,” to smooth it between 2-12 hours. I didn’t. Being British they either mean paper towel or butcher paper. A towel did well to smoothe out the finish except for the places I put on too much or sprayed from too far away so the particles dried on their way.

Overall happy with how it is. The bare aluminum riser took the paint well and came out great, and feels like a good finish. The yellow is definitely yellow! Probably reassemble tomorrow just ‘cause I’d rather wait vs. ding it up. Pics then.

Thanks for the info John. So, the bare aluminum riser wasn't prepped with anything, and the paint covered it well? That's good to know. Not many paints, outside of the powder coating method, actually work on bare aluminum.

Sanded the AL with 180 grit, then cleaned with isopropyl (suggested cleaner by the paint can)

Made one nick already, so either I handled it too soon or something. Hoping it’s not fragile or non-stick.

Assembled some of the major parts tonight, more tomorrow. Low/bad light = no pics yet... or building suspense. Sure, that sounds good. :)

Completed and ride-able. Still need some cable tidying up, but overall happy with it. More time & money and the seat would be black or yellow. Not much in the way of do-dad-ery, but the skirt guards sure are hi-vis!
IMG_3982.JPG
IMG_3983.JPG
IMG_3984.JPG
IMG_3985.JPG
IMG_3986.JPG
IMG_3987.JPG

You can see a few spots, like these seat stays and chain stays, where the black rubbed off pretty easy. Probably like all paint, this paint needs to cure for two weeks to be truly handle-able. Or I'm just opening up some spots for rustina to set in! Still, I'm happy with the paint, the coverage, the color, the texture. Feels like a powder coat. Probably just needs more time to be fully durable.
IMG_3988.JPG

Really solid build John! The flat black has a great rat look to it, with those color splashes of yellow and blue. I can't remember another recumbent build on here? Breaking the mold in style!

Great build! I think it awesome that you used those old skirts on a recumbent! Nice work man!
CONGRATS!

Latest posts

Back