BLACK DOG CYCLES FLAT TRACKER NOW DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, winter is coming up and i am getting the itch to build a new motorbike. this will be the sacrifice for the bike, a cleveland welding frame with rear dropouts that make it nice for belt adjustments. yes, this bike will be cut,welded, etc so the purists out there please take it easy on me! :lol: the frame will be modified with a low drop bottom bar (boardtrack style) a hand made tank, etc. the powerplant will be a briggs ohv 6.5 hp engine with a performance cam,billet rod, and a few other speed secrets. should be fun! will keep you updated.
DSCF0867-1.jpg

Re: WINTER PROJECT BOARDTRACKER

yeah i thought the same thing about the bottom tube, should flow nicely. honestly, as far as forks, i am thinking of just making some nice beefy truss rods out of round stock, using these forks and making a bracket that i can weld to the forks for the rods to pass through. i am really going to try and go for the boardtrack racer look this time around. the only thing i may make different is the handle bars. i can't ride all bent over that long, it kills my back! :lol: maybe make some that look good dropped down and in a upright position that way i can ride it both ways.

Re: WINTER PROJECT BOARDTRACKER UPDATE 11/10/12

not a whole lot has happened this past week. got the bike torn down. cut the bottom tube this evening only to find that i am going to have to lengthen the frame about 4inches to get my bend to work right on my new bottom tube. no big deal really, the extra length will make it nicer to ride i think. i have decided the color is going to be copper. wheels will be same color, tank will be same as well. the tank will be made from 4inch exhaust pipe and hang from the top bar. the middle bar will be removed as well and put back in a lower location after the tank has been fitted to the frame. hope to get the frame lengthened tomorrow. anyone have any tips on how to bend the tubing with a bender? thought of some heat and a bicycle rim? oh yeah, my fork is bent back a bit too! :wink: will have to use a little heat there too!
DSCF0869.jpg

Re: WINTER PROJECT BOARDTRACKER UPDATE 11/12/12

here is where she stands as of now. ended up stretching it 5 inches, got the bottom tube bent and will get it welded in tomorrow. i used a 16inch wheel and a torch to heat and bend my lower tube! poor man has poor ways! :lol: my goal this week will be to get the forks done and get started on the tank. i have enjoyed every minute of this so far! been a blast!
DSCF0872.jpg

hope you got a beafcake motor to fill that 20in+ Frame Void.. :)

iven said:
hope you got a beafcake motor to fill that 20in+ Frame Void.. :)
as a matter of fact i do! :wink: also, have to take into consideration the tank will be hanging from the top bar also. the 6.5hp briggs will be turned up vertical, should fit nicely.

What diameter and wall thickness is the tubing that you are using?

karbo1 said:
What diameter and wall thickness is the tubing that you are using?
1inch diameter. not sure about the thickness, a little thicker than the original frame tubing.

Re: WINTER PROJECT BOARDTRACKER UPDATE 11/28/12

haven't had alot of time to work on it the past week or so. did get the tank cut out and tacked together. going to have my old man braze it together for me!
DSCN0105.jpg

Re: WINTER PROJECT BOARDTRACKER UPDATE 11/28/12

cut this fill bung out of a briggs metal gas tank and tacked it in. will have my dad braze it in as well.
DSCN0106.jpg

Re: MURRAYMADMAN'S BOARDTRACKER PROGRESS 12/2/12

got a little done on it this weekend. got the bar below the tank welded in and the mounting tabs for the tank done. was able to get the motor mount welded to the bottom bar. need to make the bracket to attach it to the seat tube.
DSCN0107.jpg

thanks dr. T! i am very please the way it looks so far as well. it's crazy though how long it takes to get things done. you think it over in your mind and think it's a quick job when it's not! :wink: i think i tacked and broke the motor mount plate 4 times before i had it where i wanted it!LOL! :lol: hope to get my jack shaft mount underway this week.

thought i would reply on the progress as of lately. well, there is none! as a matter of fact i had to take about 5 steps backwards! :x come to find out my rear triangle was out of line with the front of the bike and so i had to cut my motor mount out and straighten the frame. i have that done so hopefully i can get the mount back in this weekend. also it was a bad week. had to put our 15year old cocker spaniel to sleep last friday and then our 15year old retreiver died at home this thursday!!! bad deal. they were buddies and i think the retreiver just gave up after she knew her buddy wasn't coming home. :cry: nonetheless, hope to get back into some progress this next week!

thanks gcrank, i appreciate that it is tough. beleive it or not we had to have another one of our senior cockers put to sleep this past week. she had a very aggressive tumor in her jaw growin very fast. the vet said there was no way to remove it all. sad situation. anyway enough of the sad stuff! :wink: i have the jackshaft done, the motor mounted and the chain on. having clearance issues with the crank, nothing a little heat won't take care of! the tank is all welded up, just need to do the body work on it. intake and exhaust are on the menu this week along with a front motor mount to keep the vibes down to a minumum. :wink:
DSCN0275_zps5ddd5320.jpg

Latest posts

Back