BLACK DOG CYCLES FLAT TRACKER NOW DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MURRAYMADMAN'S BOARDTRACKER PROGRESS 12/2/12

DSCN0273_zps8e7de864.jpg

Re: MURRAYMADMAN'S BOARDTRACKER PROGRESS 1/13/13

got the exhaust header done today, happy with they way it turned out! tore the wheels down, will order the spokes next week. the new departures look brand new under all the grease! :D
DSCN0318.jpg

got her down on her feet today. opted for these bars, was going to use low boardtrack bars but my back just will not take it! :lol: i am really happy so far with the way it looks and the stretch feels perfect setting on the bike. i know it doesn't really look like a boardtracker with these bars, more so a flat tracker. but that's ok, my old man used to race flat track in the 60's! :wink:
DSCN0372_zps65d40390.jpg

love this view! i will trim the motor mout plate, round the corners etc.
DSCN0373_zpsdc9960bb.jpg

aerial shot! :D supposed to have my cam,rod and valve springs this week. a test ride looks to be in the near future!
DSCN0371_zps3def4789.jpg

finally got the bike done. i renamed it black dog cycles for all the black dogs we have! also, it turned out looking more like a flat track bike in the end, which is fine with me. it runs very well for the most part. a little rich on bottom end, will lower the needle level and see what that does for it. a few things to work out. the exhaust is way too loud, will be toning it down.
53ee664a6f6be032527a52723b7bc522_zps49ea5b02.jpg

wanted to share a tip for anyone rotating these engines up vertical. you see the clear tube going to the valve cover? i tapped the hole where the govenor shaft was and ran the tube to valve cover, while running there is constant oil flowing to the top end which helps oil the top end eliminating any worries of enough oil getting to the rockers. lets hope so anyway! :lol:
9b985b300195e27134dd09e763e4fa40_zps0e89ccd3.jpg

the auto clutch works well. i would like to change it to belt, i am just worried that it would slip too much, not sure. the 6.5hp briggs has so much torque you can be going about 30mph and nail it and the rear belt will slip some! even kicked around the idea of manual clutch too. who knows, will ride it and work the bugs out. the problem is when i get them to this stage, i hate to quit riding them to paint! it may wait until next winter for paint! :wink: i kinda like the way it looks now, raw. has a neat patina to it.
4398b4a64169a166fa4554f795b3168c_zps15a0ab1f.jpg

thanks beau, i appreciate that! sprocket size on the clutch is 12t and 15t on the jackshaft. running a 3inch pulley on jackshaft, the rear sheave is 15inches. this gearing seems to be about perfect. haven't tested out on many hills yet, not steep ones anyway. the ones i have been on, there is no issues!

A lot of people argued me down saying that the same set up he has wouldn't work I wouldn't be able to take off and things like that

Great bike. What is the front hub that you are using? What is the fork spacing? I am looking for one. I have a '52 Schwinn that I am building on. Thanks!

thanks supercub! the front hub i beleive is whizzer. bought it on ebay a few years ago, has excellent stopping power! do you mean the steer tube length when you say fork spacing?

The space within the forks left to right, or how wide the hub is to fit the axle of the hub to the fork. I have sized up some moped hubs but they were too wide. I did luck out and found a Raliegh moped rear hub with sprocket and drum brake that fit into the bike.

looks like 3-7/8inches wide. there is a spacer on mine that could be cut down to make it narrower. i have to spread the forks just a bit to get the wheel in but that is how i like it honestly. there is a guy on ebay that sells these often, just type in whizzer motorbike in the search box and they should come up.

Latest posts

Back