Black & Wild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Black & Mild

Double Nickle said:
wow i really like what he did with it...gunna be hard to top that :wink:
is that the seat Cameron had for sale... :?:

What I am doing with the bike is completely in another direction from when loco had it. I do like what he did with it, but I have a soft spot for cafe racers and hotrods and kustom art kulture... so...

Im not sure where I picked up the seat... I went to the swap meet with a wad of cash and left with a bunch of goodies... i just picked stuff up and forked cash over without paying attn... I was in heaven i guess...

A café racer, originally pronounced "caff" (as in Kaff) racer, is a type of motorcycle as well as a type of motorcyclist. Both meanings have their roots in the 1960s British counterculture group the Rockers, or the Ton-up boys, although they were also common in Italy, Germany, and other European countries.

Rockers were a young and rebellious Rock and Roll counterculture that wanted a fast, personalized and distinctive bike to travel between transport cafés along the newly built arterial motorways in and around British towns and cities. The goal of many was to be able to reach 100 miles per hour (called simply "the ton") along such a route where the rider would leave from a cafe, race to a predetermined point and back to the cafe before a single song could play on the jukebox, called record-racing. They are remembered as being especially fond of Rockabilly music and their image is now embedded in today's rockabilly culture.

cafe-racer-300x225.jpg

pilen_concept1.jpg

Nothing much doing today.... just some small parts cleanup and the de-rusting and cleaning of front rim...
001-2.jpg

003-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Chainring, crank, and parts cleaned up well today. New bearings packed with vintage wheel bearing grease enriched with asbestos.
004.jpg

Bro, your work space is suspiciously clean and well organized. I'd seriously look into that if I was you. :mrgreen: BTW, I will be following this build with a lot of interest and many thanks for the history lesson, I always wanted to know what was the buzz behind café racers.

To explain the tidy work area... I was raised in the military with a father who at a point in his career was a Drill Sgt. Our conversations consisted of him yelling at me with an inch between our noses and me saying yes sir. We were expected to keep things clean and have no fun. So, now I have a bad case of OCD... but, that's good when it comes to building things... I am a very detail oriented person.

As far as history lessons go... just ask and I will explain, I have a plethora of useless information lodged in my frontal/temporal lobes.

Thank you, and good luck with your build.

Dave 8)

Well, just got done ordering my rear tire... it should ship today and i should see it by friday I hope. I think i will go hit thye town and shake some bushes to find some red grips and a rear wheel so i can start putting this thing together. I guess I had better pick up some paint as well.... Weather is calm enough now to throw some primer down today.

xddorox said:
Bro, your work space is suspiciously clean and well organized. I'd seriously look into that if I was you. :mrgreen: BTW, I will be following this build with a lot of interest and many thanks for the history lesson, I always wanted to know what was the buzz behind café racers.
I think it could be a little bit more organized.....

001-3.jpg

002-2.jpg

70's style BMX grips that kinda match the color of seat....
003-2.jpg

Decided to keep build cheap and not purchase a springer... but cleaned up some early 40's Colson truss rods to use for the time being...
004-1.jpg

I found some much kooler grips today.....
001-4.jpg

My rear wheel.. nothing special, but it will get me by until I find what tickles my fancy... COME ON TIRE GET HERE!
002-3.jpg

My kickstand...
003-3.jpg

The front end I will be using... chrome makes it go faster, and its less painting I have to do! 8)
001-5.jpg

Alot of pictures were lost this evening during the use of my camera by my wife at the Wichita River Festival Sundown Parade....

Any colour - so long as it's black.
Henry Ford

colson001.jpg

garagegoon said:
Decided to keep build cheap and not purchase a springer... but cleaned up some early 40's Colson truss rods to use for the time being...
004-1.jpg
Those look decidedly Huffman, I could use a set of those. :roll:

Those look decidedly Huffman, I could use a set of those.

i have to keep em for my Colson... I put off the restoration for this build and was just going to borrow parts from it to keep my cost down....

Latest posts

Back